Who makes the best complete PCs these days?

• Thread starter PICsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary: I upgraded the video card, memory and hard drive later) for $650 from PCUSA about a year ago and it's still running great.ASUS, Dell, Gateway, HP, and PCUSA.
PICsmith
My mom is a self-employed accountant and does all of her work on an old HP Pavilion that is just too slow, so she wants a new one. Just buying a complete PC is probably the most reliable and safe thing for her to do but I really don't know where to shop from. Are there any companies that are known to use better quality parts than others? Have better support? Etc. Is Dell still a good buy or where they ever? Remember this computer will primarily be used to do boring accounting type work :zzz: , and surf the internet occasionally. Nothing too expensive. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What exactly are the specs of this computer? If it's only used for running light-duty software programs and surfing the net perhaps adding additional memory might be sufficient. Having a fast Internet service such as DSL or Cable, assuming you do not already same, would make it seem like a new machine when surfing the www).

Just buying a complete PC is probably the most reliable and safe thing for her to do but I really don't know where to shop from. Are there any companies that are known to use better quality parts than others? Have better support? Etc. Is Dell still a good buy or where they ever?

I would suggest an eMac (when they get updated to G5) or low-end iMac.

Dell has always been a safe bet. Periodicals always rate them amoung the best.

EMachines has continued to earn better ratings each year since it was founded. You'd be amazed at how well they price their computers.

IBM or Dell

You might want to do some surfing and check out the direct order sites. Lots of good deals and variety. You can pretty much custom pick what you want.

I've bought two PCs and a laptop from Dell. My parents just got a PC and a laptop from them. No problems at all. Super fast construction & shipping times too.

Thanks everyone. I did a little comparing between Dell and IBM and Dell definitely gives you more for the money, but then IBM has always costed a little bit more and are known for their quality. I'll probably go with Dell though.

HerrSchlauberger said:
Thanks everyone. I did a little comparing between Dell and IBM and Dell definitely gives you more for the money, but then IBM has always costed a little bit more and are known for their quality. I'll probably go with Dell though.
Good choice, and make sure to get the 4yr warranty

IBM, Toshiba and Apple.

Consumers reports rates those 3 computer makers as the best in both reliability of parts and customer support.

I don't know ratings, but I know from my personal experience of 2 6,000 computers, that I don't think the best one to go with is DELL.

In my opinion.

IBM, Toshiba and Apple.

Consumers reports rates those 3 computer makers as the best in both reliability of parts and customer support.
they say my explorer is not safe, but I totalled a "safe" honda when it ran a red light, my car was pretty much ok...shows how smart CR is..GENERALLY(my opinion)

Sweet & Intellectual said:
I don't know ratings, but I know from my personal experience of 2 6,000 computers, that I don't think the best one to go with is DELL.

In my opinion.
I concur, I work on Dells at my school, and HPs, and Gateways, and Dells are by far the most reliable, after IBM, but IBM costs a lot.

IBM, Toshiba and Apple.

Consumpers rate Toshiba best amoung laptops. I believe that HerrSchlauberger is asking about complete PCs (desktops)?

after IBM, but IBM costs a lot.

No they do not.

IBM Thinkcentre desktops can be bought for well under $1000, starting at about $379.

Anyways HerrSchlauberger you should have a look at
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/1,aid,112915,pg,6,00.asp for a reference. It shouldn't be long before PCWorld to releases the 2004 report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered a company like PCUSA that assembles components that you select from drop down menus? You can pick out a really high grade, namebrand motherboard and select a CPU for the level of work to be performed that can upgraded down the road if neccessary. They will assemble it for you with a 1 year warranty for $15.00 and they used to offer lifetime tech support for an additional $15.00 (not sure if they still do, I got that when I ordered a PC through them.)

You can research the major components and pick really highly rated stuff. I got an ASUS motherboard with integrated audio, video, LAN and SATA (the integrated stuff is fine for a business machine this motherboard was highly rated by users on various websites), a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 800 FSB and HT, 256 MB of DDR 400 RAM, an 80 gig 7200 rpm HD, and a 52x32x52 CDRW, a 17" crt monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a cool looking steel case with a plexiglass front for $707.00 assembled with 1 year warranty, lifetime tech support and delivery.

DELL is for babies. Don't trust that DELL's Michael, he lures you to buying his producks.
IBM-I Blame Microshift-bedder..bedder computer-manufacturer
Trust me, my professors use only IBMs-I Blame Microshift- and so do I.

Last edited:
alexkerhead said:
they say my explorer is not safe, but I totalled a "safe" honda when it ran a red light, my car was pretty much ok...shows how smart CR is..GENERALLY(my opinion)

I concur, I work on Dells at my school, and HPs, and Gateways, and Dells are by far the most reliable, after IBM, but IBM costs a lot.

Totaling a car has nothing to do with its safety. and at any rate, CR measures Service, support and build quality. those are what matters with a computer. Dell is adequate, but certainly not the best. if you were going with an x86 machine, you should go with IBM or Toshiba.

Uhmm, if Japanese Makers (JMs) come into debate, I highly advise you never to buy Fujitsu's and some other infamous brands, I had a really traumatic experience with this Fujitsu not long ago. Sony's is the most expensive among JMs but more money goes with better quality...:wink:
Again, IBM is what I think is best-fit for you.

I don't know if tomorrow IBM will ask me to work for them as a marketting manager...:rolleyes: bigsmile

I like 'emachines' :)

[r.D]

DrWarezz said:

[r.D]
My hair stands upright when I hear that ! :)

DrWarezz said:

[r.D]
I own two. (There goes any credibility I might have had :tongue2:) But you know for the price they have been good basic computers. I have put a lot into one of them but now it is pretty good. I increased the CPU from a 566 mhz to a 1.1 ghz, which the motherboard recognized and adjusted for automatically, added ram to 256MB, put in a Voodoo 4500 Video card, and a Phillips audio card. It is currently a great stable little computer. The other is an older 300 mhz AMD. All I did to that one is increase the RAM to 64 from 32. It still runs great and is my wife's favorite.

The main problem is their limited motherboards, but the cost is good and their quality is coming up as the price of components comes down.

I still recommend at least considering selecting barebones components and having the company assemble them for you. I was working last night with the 2.4 ghz P4 on the ASUS mobo I bought through PCUSA and it is a hot machine.

Tom McCurdy said:
BEST Sites to get Whole Computers from

*best computers possible: www.go-l.com
*good deals- www.cyberpowerinc.com
*good deals- www.tigerdirect.com
I am telling you best computer is from www.go-l.com just go there and look around its hard to believe what those fools do with computers. the other two places will give you amazingly good computers at prices you will likely croak over. However if you are a word/email type of person just buy a cheap best buy comp --- like a dreaded emachine-- but for about the same price if not lower you can get AMAZING computers

Tom McCurdy said:
I am telling you best computer is from www.go-l.com just go there and look around its hard to believe what those fools do with computers. the other two places will give you amazingly good computers at prices you will likely croak over. However if you are a word/email type of person just buy a cheap best buy comp --- like a dreaded emachine-- but for about the same price if not lower you can get AMAZING computers
Tom, I would go olong with your selections. The cyberpowerinc link does have configurable computers at low prices and you can pick your components. I've also used Tigerdirect for a lot of stuff. The other link for go-l looks like awesome equipment, but kind of expensive.

yeah go-l major drawback is price-- but it is the best I have ever seen.

Coming in I say don't get Dell, I've seen some of my friends with Dells and they always seem to be having problems. There may be a waranty but do you want a computer that breaks down and is always bieng repaired or one you can use?
I like Mac's but sometimes software comes to be a problem. On the other hand they are good quality but also more expensive. They are very good for graphics and such.

YourLooks said:
DELL is for babies. Don't trust that DELL's Michael, he lures you to buying his producks.
IBM-I Blame Microshift-bedder..bedder computer-manufacturer
Trust me, my professors use only IBMs-I Blame Microshift- and so do I.

Not a single thing spelled correctly. Yeah, this is advice I'm going to listen to.

I still believe the best pc is one built yourself.

If that isn't possible, go do some business with a local pc shop. Their prices are usually comparable to the big guys, plus you can take pride in the fact that you are helping your local economy. Also an advantage is the support. Buy from a local shop, you can personally take the pc there for service, whereas with most of the big guys, you got to mail it off, wait, wait, wait, talk to some dude in india, wait, wait. Of course some of the big guys are opening up shops here and there.

The thing about dell, compaq, even IBM is they DO NOT want your computer to last more then 2-4 years. Sure, they keep on chuggin along for years, but when it comes time to upgrade, you are generally limited in just how much upgrading can be done.

A custom built system is very suitable. I still run the same pc I've been running for about 3 years now, and if I ever decide I need more power, it will only cost me around 200-300$ to get a new board and cpu, maybe a lil more if my old ram won't work.

I've repaired several dell pc's, compaqs, and a few HP's. The main thing I do not like about dells, they have this funnel type thing that basically forces the dust right on top the cpu. I've had to soak heat sinks for days trying to clean them.

megashawn said:

If that isn't possible, go do some business with a local pc shop. Their prices are usually comparable to the big guys, plus you can take pride in the fact that you are helping your local economy. Also an advantage is the support. Buy from a local shop, you can personally take the pc there for service, whereas with most of the big guys, you got to mail it off, wait, wait, wait, talk to some dude in india, wait, wait. Of course some of the big guys are opening up shops here and there.

I must disagree with this advice. Don't go to a local pc shops. Major companies like Best Buy or Circuit City have prices for componets that local pc shops just can't match. They probably also will have a better service center and in general more reliable. Although you can under cut Best Buy stores online if you go to a local pc shop you will be paying up to 10x if not more times what you would for certain componets

Especailly hard drives

megashawn said:
I agree, but if you're a newbie at building or working on computers, you could be nervous building a box for someone else.

The select components option I mentioned is a good compromise for this. The assembly and 1 year warranty fee at CPUSA is only $15.00. You still get the benefit of picking components that you have researched and found to be good for your needs (as if you were building the box yourself), upgradability (if you choose to select upgradable parts), and lifetime tech support was only $15.00 extra.

Tom McCurdy said:
I must disagree with this advice. Don't go to a local pc shops. Major companies like Best Buy or Circuit City have prices for componets that local pc shops just can't match. They probably also will have a better service center and in general more reliable. Although you can under cut Best Buy stores online if you go to a local pc shop you will be paying up to 10x if not more times what you would for certain componets

Especailly hard drives
That generally is not the case. The components I don't buy online I buy (generally) at computer shows, which are basically a lot of mom-and-pop shops all in one convention center. Except when you can find the rare special at one of the major chains, the prices are significantly lower. It depends on the component, but for things like the processor, motherboard, and video card, it can be as much as 50%.

I probably won't ever buy a pre-built computer again, but for the typical person (99% of pc owners), it really is the way to go. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. is what I'd recommend.

The one thing I'd avoid completely is a fully-built, custom computer from one of those mom-and-pop shops. Anyone who doesn't have the know-how to build it themself needs the level of support that only a big company can provide. One caveat though, employees of the super-stores are generally absolutely clueless: know what you are going to buy before you go there.

Last edited:
FYI, this sort of discrepancy is fairly typical:
CompUSA: Western Digital Special Edition 200GB hard drive: $285
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50287003&pfp=BROWSE

NewEGG.com: Western Digital Special Edition 200GB hard drive: $110
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-129&depa=1

(Newegg.com is a well respected online store)

Last edited by a moderator:
Assembling a PC from scratch requires little skill [I am living proof] and can be done at a fraction of the cost [ie, get more computer for the same money]. As Russ pointed out, retail stores usually cannot compete with on-line store prices [although it don't hurt to look, sometimes you can catch a bargain]. The last computer I bought off the shelf was an apple IIe.

Actually if you buy from big name stores or order a custom built online you dont' save a tremendous amount-- plus when you consider the warranties then you save money buying from places like www.cyberpowerinc.com

The computer I'm using now I built about 4 years ago; I have the know how and I keep up to speed with the current trends and tech of pc hardware and have considered putting together a basic (but much faster than current) machine for my mom. But that would kinda designate me as the tech support, which I don't really mind, but I might not be around in a couple years to fix it should something happen (to the computer, not me, hopefully). That's the only reason I would rather go with a mass produced pc with a warranty for her.

I've worked on both IBM and Dell- IBM still makes the better server, but Dell's the way to go for your home PC. It breaks less, and it's easier to fix when it does. Plus it's easier to get at the parts if you DO have to upgrade or replace. Ever opened an IBM? Taking a part out is like unscrambling a rubix cube.

As far as building your own, It USED to be that it was much cheaper to just build it yourself. I even put together PC's for peoeple for a few years to make a few bucks. You saved a bundle by cutting out all the useless software junk that jacked up the prepacked PC price you would get at best buy. But nowadays companies like Dell and Gateway have bulk order agreements with the parts manufacturers, so they get the parts for pennies on the dollar- it's cheaper to buy direct from the manufactures. You can come close to the same price, but it's hard to build a PC nowadays for the same price as dell or HP, still get all the software, not to mention the warranty you forgo if you build. Better to just buy it.

Hmm...I'm trying to figure this one out. I see people here saying either get Dell, it's one of the best, or saying avoid Dell. I know I've heard our IT guy grumbling over Dells many times. Is this an issue of choice of product lines? Since the IT guy has to get everyone's computers to behave with the department servers, maybe his bias has something to do with the networking and isn't an issue for the sort of home usage described here.

Some folks suggested various Apple computers, iMacs and eMacs. My opinion is if the primary use is accounting, don't get those. You don't get any advantage in Macs for accounting purposes, and it may be a disadvantage in terms of software availability. Since you're describing someone who needs something uncomplicated to use, you're only going to have headaches expecting her to switch to a different platform (guess who your mom will call when she can't figure out how to do things on it). Besides, if she primarily uses Excel, the newest version for Macs is ugly (yeah, that's my very technical assessment of it :rolleyes:)! I still need to spend more time learning how to use it to its full advantage (I haven't really used it much since I upgraded), but the default settings, menu placement, etc., look quite foreign compared to previous versions (I'm sure this can all be changed, I just have to spend some time doing so), so this may be too much change for your mother. I'm basing this on the assumption that the reason you're asking about all-in-one PCs is because she isn't very computer saavy. Hmm...I should point out I have no idea what the most recent version of Office looks like for Windows. I haven't seen it yet.