Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who makes the best complete PCs these days?

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    My mom is a self-employed accountant and does all of her work on an old HP Pavilion that is just too slow, so she wants a new one. Just buying a complete PC is probably the most reliable and safe thing for her to do but I really don't know where to shop from. Are there any companies that are known to use better quality parts than others? Have better support? Etc. Is Dell still a good buy or where they ever? Remember this computer will primarily be used to do boring accounting type work :zzz: , and surf the internet occasionally. Nothing too expensive. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    What exactly are the specs of this computer? If it's only used for running light-duty software programs and surfing the net perhaps adding additional memory might be sufficient. Having a fast Internet service such as DSL or Cable, assuming you do not already same, would make it seem like a new machine when surfing the www).
  4. Sep 25, 2004 #3
    I would suggest an eMac (when they get updated to G5) or low-end iMac.

Dell has always been a safe bet. Periodicals always rate them amoung the best.

EMachines has continued to earn better ratings each year since it was founded. You'd be amazed at how well they price their computers.
  5. Sep 25, 2004 #4
    IBM or Dell
  6. Sep 25, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

You might want to do some surfing and check out the direct order sites. Lots of good deals and variety. You can pretty much custom pick what you want.
  7. Sep 25, 2004 #6
    I've bought two PCs and a laptop from Dell. My parents just got a PC and a laptop from them. No problems at all. Super fast construction & shipping times too.
  8. Sep 25, 2004 #7
    Thanks everyone. I did a little comparing between Dell and IBM and Dell definately gives you more for the money, but then IBM has always costed a little bit more and are known for their quality. I'll probably go with Dell though.
  9. Sep 25, 2004 #8
    Good choice, and make sure to get the 4yr warranty
  10. Sep 25, 2004 #9
    IBM, Toshiba and Apple.

Consumers reports rates those 3 computer makers as the best in both reliability of parts and customer support.
  11. Sep 25, 2004 #10
    I don't know ratings, but I know from my personal experience of 2 6,000 computers, that I don't think the best one to go with is DELL.

In my opinion.
  12. Sep 25, 2004 #11
    they say my explorer is not safe, but I totalled a "safe" honda when it ran a red light, my car was pretty much ok....shows how smart CR is..GENERALLY(my opinion)

I concur, I work on Dells at my school, and HPs, and Gateways, and Dells are by far the most reliable, after IBM, but IBM costs a lot.
  13. Sep 26, 2004 #12
    Consumpers rate Toshiba best amoung laptops. I believe that HerrSchlauberger is asking about complete PCs (desktops)?

No they do not.

IBM Thinkcentre desktops can be bought for well under $1000, starting at about $379.

Anyways HerrSchlauberger you should have a look at
    this chart for a reference. It shouldn't be long before PCWorld to releases the 2004 report.
  14. Sep 27, 2004 #13
    Have you considered a company like PCUSA that assembles components that you select from drop down menus? You can pick out a really high grade, namebrand motherboard and select a CPU for the level of work to be performed that can upgraded down the road if neccessary. They will assemble it for you with a 1 year warranty for $15.00 and they used to offer lifetime tech support for an additional $15.00 (not sure if they still do, I got that when I ordered a PC through them.)

You can research the major components and pick really highly rated stuff. I got an ASUS motherboard with integrated audio, video, LAN and SATA (the integrated stuff is fine for a business machine this motherboard was highly rated by users on various websites), a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 800 FSB and HT, 256 MB of DDR 400 RAM, an 80 gig 7200 rpm HD, and a 52x32x52 CDRW, a 17" crt monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a cool looking steel case with a plexiglass front for $707.00 assembled with 1 year warranty, lifetime tech support and delivery.
  15. Sep 27, 2004 #14
  16. Sep 28, 2004 #15
    DELL is for babies. Don't trust that DELL's Michael, he lures you to buying his producks.
    IBM-I Blame Microshift-bedder..bedder computer-manufacturer
    Trust me, my professors use only IBMs-I Blame Microshift- and so do I.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  17. Sep 28, 2004 #16
    Totaling a car has nothing to do with its safety. and at any rate, CR measures Service, support and build quality. those are what matters with a computer. Dell is adequate, but certainly not the best. if you were going with an x86 machine, you should go with IBM or Toshiba.
  18. Sep 28, 2004 #17
    Uhmm, if Japanese Makers (JMs) come into debate, I highly advise you never to buy Fujitsu's and some other infamous brands, I had a really traumatic experience with this Fujitsu not long ago. Sony's is the most expensive among JMs but more money goes with better quality...:wink:
    Again, IBM is what I think is best-fit for you.

I don't know if tomorrow IBM will ask me to work for them as a marketting manager...:rolleyes: bigsmile
  19. Sep 28, 2004 #18
    I like 'emachines' :)

20. Sep 28, 2004 #19
    My hair stands upright when I hear that ! :)
  21. Sep 28, 2004 #20
    I own two. (There goes any credibility I might have had :tongue2:) But you know for the price they have been good basic computers. I have put a lot into one of them but now it is pretty good. I increased the CPU from a 566 mhz to a 1.1 ghz, which the motherboard recognized and adjusted for automatically, added ram to 256MB, put in a Voodoo 4500 Video card, and a Phillips audio card. It is currently a great stable little computer. The other is an older 300 mhz AMD. All I did to that one is increase the RAM to 64 from 32. It still runs great and is my wife's favorite.

The main problem is their limited motherboards, but the cost is good and their quality is coming up as the price of components comes down.

I still recommend at least considering selecting barebones components and having the company assemble them for you. I was working last night with the 2.4 ghz P4 on the ASUS mobo I bought through PCUSA and it is a hot machine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?