Domain Ownership: What Companies Need To Know

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    domains
In summary, companies sell domains names in order to cover costs of administration and make a small profit. If you let your registration lapse, someone else can register your domain and take it.
Tom McCurdy
How can companies sell domains names, i mean how do they own it-- is there a way to get them for free. How come we have to pay for them by the year.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Tom McCurdy said:
How can companies sell domains names, i mean how do they own it-- is there a way to get them for free. How come we have to pay for them by the year.
Currently there are several companies that provide domain name registration services. The fee that you pay when you register a domain is to cover costs of administering the database, and most likely (now) a small profit.

You can use the domain name as long as your registration is current. If you let your registration lapse, someone else can register your domain and take it. This happened in the past to some rather large companies.

If you have a domain name registered to you, you can transfer that domain to another person or company. Some people realized that by registering all the popular names that they could then offer to transfer registration to another party and ask for money, the amount depending on how badly the person/company wanted that particular domain.

Some companies claim to offer free domains if you sign up for their services, but in reality, you are paying for the domain by paying other fees.

I don't know how much detail you want on the history of domain names. If you want more details, let me know.

I understood that part of domains, but I was wondering who actually has the right to sell these allocations of spots of the internet. I mean how would say I become a domain name selling company. How is it that someone has the ablity to sell domains.

I would guess it's just to keep track- so several people aren't using the same address- and replacing each other's files.

So the costs are mainly record keeping.

Oh yeah... see: www.icann.org[/url] and [url]www.iana.org[/URL]
There is also more info here:
[url]www.internic.net[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom McCurdy said:
I understood that part of domains, but I was wondering who actually has the right to sell these allocations of spots of the internet. I mean how would say I become a domain name selling company. How is it that someone has the ablity to sell domains.
Ah, well that's different.

Go here http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation.htm

scroll down to "Becoming an ICANN-Accredited Registrar"

Anyone else remember the good old days when Network Solutions had a virtual monopoly on domain names?

alright thanks for the help

It's actually the right to allocate and sell IP address which the domains are translated from.

thx again for the response--- who set this system up when the net first started

It was Tim Berners-Lee, an engineer working at Cern that came up with the addressing scheme in 1990. He could have made a fortune, but he was afraid that if he used his addressing plan for profit that other people would also develop differing plans for profit and the internet would become a nightmare, so he gave his "world wide web" addressing to the world for free.

In 1994 I had a great article on him, it's probably still on an old computer I have in the basement.

Here is info on him. He is known as the inventor of the World Wide Web. He's awesome, IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

Last edited:

1. What is domain ownership?

Domain ownership refers to the legal rights and responsibilities associated with a domain name. It is the process of registering a unique domain name for a website and having control over its use and management.

2. Why is domain ownership important for companies?

Domain ownership is important for companies because it establishes their online presence and provides credibility to their brand. It also allows them to have control over their website and its content, as well as email addresses associated with the domain.

3. How do companies acquire domain ownership?

Companies can acquire domain ownership by registering a unique domain name through a domain registrar. This involves paying a fee and providing contact information and other details for the registration.

4. Can domain ownership be transferred to another company?

Yes, domain ownership can be transferred to another company. This process typically involves the current owner initiating a transfer request with the domain registrar and the new owner accepting the transfer. Both parties must also provide proper documentation and authorization for the transfer to be completed.

5. What happens if a company does not renew their domain ownership?

If a company does not renew their domain ownership, it will expire and become available for anyone else to register. This can result in loss of control over the domain and potential damage to the company's online presence and brand. It is important for companies to keep track of their domain expiration dates and renew in a timely manner.