Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who owns everything?

1. Jun 27, 2004 #1
    Has anybody thought of the implications of what will happen when the mechanics of the universe is revealed?

I would like to discuss the matter because I have an absolutley bullet proof model of the universe. It is mathemathically sound and accounts for all percievable phenoma felt.

Is it my intellectual property?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Scientists don't usually insist on property rights in their theories. They publish in journals where anyone can see. The publication however guarantees that it won't be stolen. If anyone were to say "See this is my theory and her's how it goes" (stolen from you), then critics would pipe and say "That's connect's theory that was published in the Journal of Bright Ideas a while ago!"
  4. Jun 27, 2004 #3
    How would an unacreditted "crackpot" theorist get published... if in fact he or she is the one that comes up with the TOE?

Hey... it could happen :-)
  5. Jun 27, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

They could self-publish. Then 25 years from now, after a huge paradigm shift, when mainstream science has finally come around and their conclusions are come to independently by researchers who can get published in a peer-reviewed journal, they will be able to point to the copyright date and say "look, I said this 25 years ago. Idiots."
  6. Jul 11, 2004 #5

Anyone remember Newton and Lebinez and calculus
  7. Jul 11, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Er, Leibniz. Newton and Leibniz had this ego thing going. Leibniz didn't stand a chance. Sir Isaac was so far up the food chain he was untouchable. You can brush away dust, but, not the ego's. Nobody 'owns' the TOE [assuming it can be found]. If I am mistaken, I need to run to the patent office and register my claim to 1 + 1 = 2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?