Are You Ready for a Game of Chess?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary: I play chess for leisure, and I play mostly on yahoo and the zone... yahoo as hawk458 and the zone.com as grumblysphinx In summary, the person plays chess often, but usually on yahoo games. They're a huge fan of the game, and they also have some experience playing. They've been runner up for a county in Lincolnshire, and represented Lincolnshire at the UK Chess Finals.
Mentat
I love chess, and I was just wondering, does anyone here play chess?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have, off and on.

I play chess often usually on yahoo games

I play on Yahoo too, loss most the time, but I like playing.

I'm a big fan of chess and risk.

Love the Game!

Dx :wink:

Alright, this is great. Have any of you been to "playsite.com"? If you sign up there, you can play against me in the "Social Chess Lobby" (I'm Mentat_pf at that site). I'd love to play against any of you sometime soon :smile:.

That's where I used to play!

The new client is very buggy on my system though. :frown:

i usually play on yahoo and sometimes on playsite ...

playsite is better that yahoo but ofcourse yahoo got more and much more users

Originally posted by MSI
i usually play on yahoo and sometimes on playsite ...

playsite is better that yahoo but ofcourse yahoo got more and much more users

We have met before (on playsite). MSI's pretty good.

Last edited:
huge chess fan! need to check out the site.

I hadn't played for years until I downloaded some chess software the other day. I get my arse whipped by the computer every time... Well not entirely true, we seem to end up in stale mate a heck of a lot, which is probably better than losing. :frown:

I have been runner up for Lincolnshire( a conuty in Lincolnshire, the equivalent of a state.) I have also represented Lincolnshire at the UK Chess finals and am ranked about 1000th in England

Originally posted by Mentat
We have met before (on playsite). MSI's pretty good.

not better than you ,,,,
you defeated me 3 times i hope i play again with you because that day i was somehow busy

Give us the yahoo link

i play chess for my school and for leisure, i play mostly on yahoo and the zone... yahoo as hawk458 and the zone.com as grumblysphinx

Originally posted by Viper
Give us the yahoo link
it is
http://games.yahoo.com

then follow the instructions

I'm there too, off and on.

I've played a lot from time to time. Haven't played much for quite some time.

Being the nerd I am, I signed up for the chess club my junior year. Before I didn't know how to play at all, but by the end of the year I think I could hold my own against an intermediate player. I should reallu practice though - haven't played since the end of the school year. Hehe, we should play on shockwave sometime.

1. How do I play chess?

To play chess, you will need a chessboard and pieces. Each player starts with 16 pieces: 1 king, 1 queen, 2 rooks, 2 knights, 2 bishops, and 8 pawns. The goal is to capture your opponent's king by putting it in a position where it cannot escape capture, known as "checkmate". Each piece has its own unique movements and abilities, and the player must strategize to outsmart their opponent and protect their own king.

2. What are the rules of chess?

The basic rules of chess involve players taking turns moving their pieces on the board. Each piece has its own set of movements and abilities, and there are specific rules for capturing and protecting pieces. The objective is to put your opponent's king in a position where it cannot escape capture, known as "checkmate". Other important rules include "castling", "en passant", and "promotion".

3. How do I improve my chess skills?

To improve your chess skills, it is important to practice regularly and learn from experienced players. You can also study different strategies and openings, as well as analyze your own games to identify areas for improvement. Additionally, there are many online resources and chess communities where you can learn from and compete with other players.

4. Can I play chess online?

Yes, there are many online platforms and apps where you can play chess against other players from around the world. Some popular options include Chess.com, lichess.org, and the Chess app on iOS and Android devices. These platforms also offer features such as tutorials, puzzles, and live tournaments to help improve your skills.

5. How do I find someone to play chess with?

If you don't have a friend or family member to play chess with, you can join a local chess club or meetup group. You can also find online communities or forums where you can connect with other players and arrange to play games. Additionally, many colleges and universities have chess clubs or teams that you can join to play and compete with others who share your passion for chess.