Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who plays GO?

1. Dec 24, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Turns out my older daughter, Spawn of Evo has become a competitive GO player. There is a coffee house off campus that has a group of people that play GO in the back. She was amazed to learn that I used to have the game and even remembered how to play. She wants me to get up to speed again and come play in their competitions. :eek:

Oh my, I haven't played in eons. How popular is GO among the college crowd? I know Humanino plays it. Any elderly players here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2009 #2
    I play at a strength of about 7 kyu or so, but don't call me elderly. I'm just ripened.

4. Dec 24, 2009 #3
    What is GO?

5. Dec 24, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have a couple of friends who play Go. With that said, I hope that game gets banned from the country.

6. Dec 24, 2009 #5

Evo

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2009
  7. Dec 24, 2009 #6
    Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out when I get back to campus.

8. Dec 24, 2009 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I played quite a bit in college, then again ten years later, and yet again yet another ten years later. It was just too hard to find opponents in the US. The internet changed that, but somewhere along the line I got too busy with real-life. If your daughter wants some serious challenge, she might want to look into PANDANET, http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/, or some other internet Go server. There are lots of resources on Go on the net. Sensei's library, http://senseis.xmp.net/, is very good and very extensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Dec 24, 2009 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I played a bit in college, but fell in love with chess, and got stronger there and had more fun. It was easy to get a pick-up speed chess game between classes.

10. Dec 24, 2009 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go looks interesting. It would probably be easier to learn by having someone to show you as you play.

Anyone ever play mastermind? I use to play the deluxe game with 8 colors and 5 holes. Not as challenging as chess however.

11. Dec 24, 2009 #10

Evo

Yes, that's how she learned. You've got to play it to learn it. Then an ability to think ahead several moves and an ability to drive your opponents moves to where you want them to go is must. I started by playing Pente. I was awesome at Pente, much simpler, but very similar. And since I prefer winning, I still prefer Pente.

12. Dec 24, 2009 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

I used to play Go on the Internet some months ago. I was rated about 10 kyu (not a great rating, but for 1-2 months of playing that's a "good" progress) in KGS, a Go Internet server. I know some chess players leave chess for Go, although the I've never heard of the opposite. It wasn't my case, I was between both games, but I'd always favor chess.

13. Dec 24, 2009 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I lived in Portland, mid-90s, we'd frequent Powell's Books and hang out in the coffee shop. Every now and then, the Go players came and set up for a tournament.

Scary, scary...

smelly too.

14. Dec 24, 2009 #13
    I used to play with a friend of mine. Most of my friends hated it because they didn't have the patience to learn and hated losing. For a while there was a homeless veteran that came around the coffeehouse I worked at and we played off and on. He was damn good, compared to me anyway. But yeah, I've met a grand total of three other people who played and have not played now in years.

To know that a woman enjoys the game is really nice. I've met few women who had the patience to even learn chess.

15. Dec 24, 2009 #14
    Oh I love go. I wanted to make that as a career when I was 9, I had lessons for a 2 years too. Now I suck. :yuck:

It's a great game. There's so much involved. Thinking, memorization, creating feelings...

16. Dec 25, 2009 #15
    Computer can beat us at chess by sheer force. There is a lot of emotion and intuition in GO. The best aspect which convinced me chess is a feudal game is that one can win by 1 point out of (potentially) 360. This is much more subtle than simply getting to the king. Most importantly, this allows for players of different strength to really enjoy a game together.

One can reduce the 19x19 board to a much faster game by the way.

17. Dec 25, 2009 #16
    ya some times I get really emotional when playing go, it effects your thinking. And sometimes you see a really tricky move its hard not to smile. :) I think go is the hardest board game.

There's a lot of memorization to it too. Anyone who's good have to memorize hundreds of opening, hundreds of games others played. Thousands of tricks. The amount of information is insane. Feelings are very important to, there no time to think of every possibility, good intuition saves and energy. Plus I don't think there's any other games where you have to think 50-200 moves(in total).

18. Dec 25, 2009 #17

sylas

Science Advisor

I play at about 14 kyu. Which means I am much weaker than jimmysnyder on 7 kyu. It is a brilliant game; the rules are so simple; and the strategies so complex.

Cheers -- sylas

19. Dec 25, 2009 #18
    I just tried playing it on yahoo and now I hate it. I went from not knowing what it was to hating it in like 10 minutes.

20. Dec 25, 2009 #19

Evo

LOL, it's not a game to play online, a large part of it is watching your opponent, watching which stones he's looking at, gives you a clue as to what moves he might be planning and gives you clues as to which stones he doesn't want you to move.

21. Dec 25, 2009 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I disagree. While Go is just a terrible game to learn online, it is a great game to play online, particularly so if you are from the West. You can play a game against someone who uses old school tactics and then switch gears and find some Korean opponent (very aggressive play).

Besides, if you focus on your opponents eyes you will miss seeing the eyes (or lack thereof) on the board.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook