Who plays GO?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
If you play online, you can't move your opponents stones when they go to the bathroom.

But you can hack into their computers :)

I believe I played something similar to GO but not GO. What I played was that if you jump over the opponent stone it is removed. Something like ..

X O empty
If I move X to empty, it will look like (with O removed)
empty empty X

I don't know what that is called but Go seems more complicated then that.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
it's all go!

No, go is simpler because nothing moves … the board just gets fuller and fuller … like reverse sculpture. :wink:

(captured pieces disappear rather than move … though in a good game that doesn't happen much … and that doesn't affect the general shape that's filled out)

This is what I meant about "seeing the future" … you should be able to see how the shapes will expand.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Paul Dirac and Werner Heisenberg apparently learned to play "Go" while in Japan.

I just tried playing it on yahoo and now I hate it. I went from not knowing what it was to hating it in like 10 minutes.
Go is probably a game best learned playing a real person. One of the main issues I had trying to teach my friends to play the game is that you really need to learn a bit of basic strategy to get started and all they wanted to do was know the rules and jump right in. They figured that since the rules are so simple they should be able to pick up the strategy no problem. The simplicity of the rules belie the complexity and subtlety of the strategy involved however. Even just understanding the concepts of Sente and Gote, active play and responsive play, can be very helpful.

And I do not really like playing on a computer myself anyway. Same with chess. Playing on a computer gives me the urge to just clickity clickity without much thinking. The few times I have played online, even as a semi experienced player, I was making stupid moves left and right. The worst part was that I KNEW I was making bad moves but couldn't help myself just kept "clickity clickity click".

So it may just not be for you but it really is a great game and you may enjoy it more if you played with someone in person and either read up a bit on strategy or had someone explain the basics.

As Tim states it is simpler though only as far as the rules are concerned. Learning to play chess is learning how pieces move. Learning how to play go is learning strategy. You can not play a game of go without some basic understanding of strategy or you will be completely lost.

Yes I play it but it's easy to play the old program I have on my computer completely off the board. That's probably too aggressive and it may have learned me the wrong moves and I have no time (actually priority) to do it right.

I have just started.
Anyone have good sites to recommend with frequent players?

fluidistic
Gold Member
I have just started.
Anyone have good sites to recommend with frequent players?
Try KGS Go server. You have to download a light interface (in java if I remember well) and there's always many players playing. You can either play of watch games that are being played. There are also a lot of other features... try it.

You've gotta' see the movie "Pi".

I actually played go for the first time in years this earlier this month! (I don't like playing online)

I remember I learned it back in college after reading somewhere that Conway created the surreal numbers to analyze the end game of go....

If anyone is in San Diego and wants to play a game (though I warn you, I'm pretty terrible - somewhere around 5k-15k USGO rating, which I think is a stone or two weaker than KGS ratings), hit me up!