Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who said the double-slits had to be simply slits? - applications of QM in storage

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

These guys are storing whole images using a single photon!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070119094254.htm

I didn't think too much of the article until I read how they're doing it. It is pretty much living, breathing proof of QM's basic, weirdest principle.

"To produce the UR image, Howell simply shone a beam of light through a stencil with the U and R etched out. Anyone who has made shadow puppets knows how this works, but Howell turned down the light so much that a single photon was all that passed through the stencil.

Quantum mechanics dictates some strange things at that scale, so that bit of light could be thought of as both a particle and a wave. As a wave, it passed through all parts of the stencil at once, carrying the "shadow" of the UR with it. "

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2
    How do they get so much info back out? Do they pass the single photon through a gain medium afterwards?

4. Jan 22, 2007 #3
    That wouldn't make sense, since a gain medium can only amplify information, I don't think it can actually write info in...

Anyway, even though I read about the double slit experiment, I don't fully understand it, so I'll leave this to the experts :)

5. Jan 22, 2007 #4

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

The image is not retrieved from a single photon. The picture is made up of
    many photons gathered by a scanning single photon detector.

The proof that the image information was available in the wave-function of
    the photon comes from a separate high intensity beam experiment which
    shows clearly visible interference.

The point they make is that they can slow down the propagation to 1/300th
    of the speed of light while retaining both phase and amplitude information.
    Here is a description of the experiment on the web page of the authors:

http://www.science.rochester.edu/depts/physics/archives/physics_012207.html

Regards, Hans

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?