1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who said the double-slits had to be simply slits? - applications of QM in storage

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

These guys are storing whole images using a single photon!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070119094254.htm

I didn't think too much of the article until I read how they're doing it. It is pretty much living, breathing proof of QM's basic, weirdest principle.

"To produce the UR image, Howell simply shone a beam of light through a stencil with the U and R etched out. Anyone who has made shadow puppets knows how this works, but Howell turned down the light so much that a single photon was all that passed through the stencil.

Quantum mechanics dictates some strange things at that scale, so that bit of light could be thought of as both a particle and a wave. As a wave, it passed through all parts of the stencil at once, carrying the "shadow" of the UR with it. "

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2
    How do they get so much info back out? Do they pass the single photon through a gain medium afterwards?

4. Jan 22, 2007 #3
    That wouldn't make sense, since a gain medium can only amplify information, I don't think it can actually write info in...

Anyway, even though I read about the double slit experiment, I don't fully understand it, so I'll leave this to the experts :)

5. Jan 22, 2007 #4

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

The image is not retrieved from a single photon. The picture is made up of
    many photons gathered by a scanning single photon detector.

The proof that the image information was available in the wave-function of
    the photon comes from a separate high intensity beam experiment which
    shows clearly visible interference.

The point they make is that they can slow down the propagation to 1/300th
    of the speed of light while retaining both phase and amplitude information.
    Here is a description of the experiment on the web page of the authors:

http://www.science.rochester.edu/depts/physics/archives/physics_012207.html

Regards, Hans

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?