Who said this?

• Thread starter Kaldanis
  • Start date
I'm not sure where to post this, it doesn't really fit anywhere. Anyway, I remember hearing a quote a while ago and I can't completely remember it or who said it. It said something along the lines of "If an extraterrestrial visited earth, they would see a world obesessed with television and fighting rather than science and knowledge... etc" - or something along those lines. It was a lot more elegant than that, though. I have a feeling it was Carl Sagan. Can anyone help me find it?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An extraterrestrial being, newly arrived on Earth - scrutinizing what we mainly present to our children in television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the comics, and many books - might easily conclude that we are intent on teaching them murder, rape, cruelty, superstition, credulity, and consumerism. We keep at it, and through constant repetition many of them finally get it.

I don't know if he really said this, but this site thinks so:
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/42205" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much, that's it!

Part of it was missing though, this is the full quote I remember:

An extraterrestrial being, newly arrived on Earth -- scrutinizing what we mainly present to our children in television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the comics and many books -- might easily conclude that we are intent on teaching them murder, rape, cruelty, superstition, credulity, and consumerism. We keep at it, and through constant repetition many of them finally get it. What kind of society could we create if, instead, we drummed into them science and a sense of hope?