The Dangers of Smoking Cigarettes

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses smoking and the various opinions and experiences of the individuals involved. Some of them smoke regularly, while others do not smoke at all or only occasionally. The health risks and consequences of smoking are also mentioned, such as cancer and the negative effects on one's breath. Lung transplants are briefly mentioned as a possible option for those with lung diseases, and the conversation also touches on other substances such as alcohol and coffee. Overall, the conversation highlights the varied attitudes towards smoking and the potential consequences of this habit.
Monique said:
How about, I come into the restaurant and I sit down at the table next to you and I take out a ghetto blaster...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Not only are they standing there to smoke, they are littering her property with cigarette butts and other trash.
An improvement: I woke up this morning and there are no sigarette buds! Now there's just an empty banana and tangarine peels lying in the entrance :confused: Maybe it's just a hungry person who stole fruits from the fruitstore next door and took the first hide-out..

*edit* yep, there's someone sleeping on my doorstep now at 1 in the afternoon :rolleyes: life in the city..

Last edited:
Smoked from 14-21. gave it up 23 years ago as it interfered with my voice as I was heavily into singing, but I must admit, the smell of good Borkum Riff pipe tobacco still hits a button somewhere deep within me, pity the taste is never equal to the smell.
But coffee... who could live without it, I can't even make it in the morning unless I've had one first. :biggrin:
Are pipes worse that cigarettes??

Wardw said:
Are pipes worse that cigarettes??

Depends if you prefer mouth cancer or lung cancer.

They'll both get you in the end

With lung cancer you won't be able to breathe, with mouth cancer you won't be able to eat. It's the way you go that matters :wink:

I wonder if fat and ugly people should not be allowed to go into public since they offend my visual sense. And wear Speedos while mowing the front lawn - something I saw in Hungary. (I remember reading a story a few years ago about a town in Italy that banned fat women from wearing bikinis at the beach).

Soon the idiots gona make smoking tobacco a crime,I already get bad looks from people when smoking outside.
Actually one breaths in 100x more poison from car fumes, than from smoking.

spender said:
Soon the idiots gona make smoking tobacco a crime,I already get bad looks from people when smoking outside.

Well, that's why I don't go sucking on tailpipes or running the car with the garage door closed either. :eek:

juvenal said:
I wonder if fat and ugly people should not be allowed to go into public since they offend my visual sense. And wear Speedos while mowing the front lawn - something I saw in Hungary. (I remember reading a story a few years ago about a town in Italy that banned fat women from wearing bikinis at the beach).

The difference is we're not complaining about looking at people smoking cigarettes, but by being forced to breathe their smoke. Those overweight people aren't forcing you to eat their food, there's no second-hand food consumption. They are only endangering themselves. As for the choice to mow one's lawn while wearing a speedo (aside from :yuck:), that's just plain stupid. I even try to avoid wearing shorts to mow the lawn because you never know what the lawnmower is going to kick back at you (definitely wear sturdy closed-toe shoes, not sandals...just in case).

Walk more often and you will see(smell) what I mean.Soon idiots going to blame smog on cigarette smokers, I guaratee it.

Moonbear said:
The difference is we're not complaining about looking at people smoking cigarettes, but by being forced to breathe their smoke. Those overweight people aren't forcing you to eat their food, there's no second-hand food consumption.

Smell of junk food is overwhelming everywhere, if one wants to go shoping to the mall or take break at the food court, person is forced to breath in that skunky junk food odour,who knows how many poisons and carcinogens are contained in it.?

Gee, thanks for the hostility, but I prefer sarcasm. :confused: I guess no one got the part about cooperating and treating each other fairly. I certainly think it's disrespectful to blow smoke in someone's face and fair to require that certain places be smoke-free - and I never said otherwise. Anyway, I think this "discussion" is bad for my health- my blood pressure is high enough already. :yuck:

honestrosewater said:
Gee, thanks for the hostility, but I prefer sarcasm. :confused: I guess no one got the part about cooperating and treating each other fairly. I certainly think it's disrespectful to blow smoke in someone's face and fair to require that certain places be smoke-free - and I never said otherwise. Anyway, I think this "discussion" is bad for my health- my blood pressure is high enough already. :yuck:

I don't think anyone has been hostile in response to your post, just pointed out that it didn't pertain to Monique's situation because we're talking about her property where she does have the right to a smoke-free environment if she requests it.

Origionally posted by spender

Do you mean that say a mechanic is going to breath in more toxins than a smoker? The modern car has very clean exhaust fumes.

I have been brainwashed in school and home not to smoke, they always say it makes you act crazy like this -> http://www.cafe18.uni.cc/images/smilies/tease.gif

Ever noticed the deep wrinkles around the mouth of a long time smoker?

Monique said:
Ever noticed the deep wrinkles around the mouth of a long time smoker?

I'm 38 and I smoke 25 years, no wrinlkes whatsoever (only yellow index/middle fingers from holding cigarettes ).Oh yeah! and kinda yellow teeth too :)

Your 38? You sound much younger than that.

I remember one friend of mine that when spat expulsed a mixture of mucus and blood. It was a consequence of his strong addition to tobacco. This was one of the reasons that I quit smoking

Sure smoking is no good for health (as many other things in live) but this adolescent attitude of antismokers is laughable.
Some of the antismokers (very small part of them, mostly lawyers ) are just there for the money,the rest of them have nothing else going on in their lives so the jump on anti "everything" bandwagon.

spender said:
Sure smoking is no good for health (as many other things in live) but this adolescent attitude of antismokers is laughable.
Some of the antismokers (very small part of them, mostly lawyers ) are just there for the money,the rest of them have nothing else going on in their lives so the jump on anti "everything" bandwagon.

Most of them just don't like the smell, or the smoke, or when they get burnt by a pissed up bellend who forgets he's smoking!

spender said:
but this adolescent attitude of antismokers is laughable.
If someone doesn't shower for a month, would you like to stand next to them? It is someone's own right or bussiness to not shower, but there is a limit to what is socially acceptable.

I'm in a Computer Programming course at college.

Bong 101 and Gaming are part of the required curriculum to pass ;)

I smoke copious amounts of marijuana, a few cigars and even a cig or two (not often). I don't throw it around in anyones face just as I'd expect them not to wear overpowering cologne, use anything but a push reel mower and drive, rather, ride only a bicycle ;)

Last edited:
singleton said:
I'm in a Computer Programming course at college.

Bong 101 and Gaming are part of the required curriculum to pass ;)

I smoke copious amounts of marijuana, a few cigars and even a cig or two (not often).

Marijuana ?? Mmmmmmm :tongue2: :tongue2: .Where do you live Man ?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20050307/ap_on_fe_st/smelly_readers [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old thread, but I saw this quote and thought it would be appropriate:

"A smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool"
- Dave Broadfoot

Yeah I got to say I don't smoke either.
I think there are more enjoyable things than breathing in smoke.
I don't really drink that much. I never get to the stage where I'm drunk that is, I just drink the amount that would keep me under the legal limit if I was driving.
Haha It's funny how I've actaully lost a few friends because I don't get pissed anymore or have never smoked weed with them.
They find it hard to believe that you can enjoy yourself and put up with them unless you're drunk or stoned.
The fact about the wrinkles above the lips is actually true.
You will see them eventually if you keep smoking for long enough.

Last edited:
I'm not for smoking, but what really pisses me off are those antismokers who hate anyone who's ever touched a cigarette.(fags)