Are You Smarter Than You Think?

• Thread starter IAmVerySmart
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of intelligence and how people perceive themselves and others to be "very smart." The participants discuss the limitations of IQ tests and how knowledge and intelligence can be subjective. They also touch on the importance of curiosity and a deeper understanding of subjects rather than just getting good grades.
IAmVerySmart
I would like to ask everyone visiting this forum

Except me, who in this forum claims he is VERY SMART ? :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org

Smart? Or smart-a$$?

Haha. But all seriousness aside, smart is a very ambiguous term. I will be surprised if anyone labels themselves this way at all.

Except possibly jimmysnyder. See my first comment regarding that.

IAmVerySmart said:
I would like to ask everyone visiting this forum

Except me, who in this forum claims he is VERY SMART ? :cool:
That's a tough one. Sometimes, I am NOT very smart and have screwed up royally. I had trouble when I was a kid because IQ test scores were not treated confidentially and teachers and administrators passed around results without regard for the kids.

I am also very smart.

I'm very smart[strike]a$$[/strike].

Why do you ask?

OK. Colour me surprised.

Me too, smart @ss all the way. I keep my mute button pushed most of the time.

I don't find myself to be smart, but I do believe I have worked hard to appear intelligent. Whether this makes me more or less arrogant than the person that finds him or herself to be VERY SMART is still a question that is up in the air.

If you were to test my knowledge on history, politics, art, law, masonry, etc, you would find me to be a rather ignorant person.

IQ tests and GPAs don't reflect the brilliance of many people.

I'm a very smart smart@$$. :biggrin:

I smart verily every time I cut, burn, or otherwise injure myself. Does that count?

Everyone is equal

People just focus the power of their brain on what interests them. It's the greater social consciousness that deems one area of study or interests more important than another, which is quite unfortunate. Knowledge is relative.

If a man who knows everything about hockey and football and nothing else less smart than a man who knows everything about math and physics and nothing else?

I'm very smart. At least with things that I'm good at.

i am smarter than the self proclaimed very smart people :approve:

Monocerotis said:
Everyone is equal

People just focus the power of their brain on what interests them. It's the greater social consciousness that deems one area of study or interests more important than another, which is quite unfortunate. Knowledge is relative.

If a man who knows everything about hockey and football and nothing else less smart than a man who knows everything about math and physics and nothing else?

Agreed. I think the mind is limitless to the field that interests it. The man that bags my groceries may know more about gathering carts than I could ever hope to understand about the motion of classical particles.

Agreed. I think the mind is limitless to the field that interests it. The man that bags my groceries may know more about gathering carts than I could ever hope to understand about the motion of classical particles.

Are you suggesting that the man that bags your groceries finds gathering carts to be the most interesting subject field in the world?

Office_Shredder said:
Are you suggesting that the man that bags your groceries finds gathering carts to be the most interesting subject field in the world?

Now what is the most interest subject anyway?

It's safe to say that just about anyone on these forums is smarter than the average person on the street.

rootX said:
Now what is the most interest subject anyway?

I don't claim there is one for everybody, but I guarantee nobody thinks it's various methods of collecting carts

Office_Shredder said:

Absolutely. Have you ever pulled off a 360 on a cart? Epic.

Oops! A mis-step!This is not the geniuses topic:biggrin:

Hello, my name is Chi Meson...
[group leader: "no pseudonyms please"]

Hello, my name is Brian...
[all: "Hello, Brian"]

I guess I am...y'know...kinda...smart?
[various: "very good" "well done!" "That was brave, very brave." "It takes so much just to admit it"]

I'm smarter than the average bear. Now bring me a pic-a-nic basket Mr. Range, sir.

I like smarties.

I eat the red ones last.

Everyone who is very smart knows what a Mattayogi is.

Whats a Mattayogi?
Nothing Boo Boo, buddy boy.

Chi Meson said:
Hello, my name is Chi Meson...
[group leader: "no pseudonyms please"]

Hello, my name is Brian...
[all: "Hello, Brian"]

I guess I am...y'know...kinda...smart?
[various: "very good" "well done!" "That was brave, very brave." "It takes so much just to admit it"]

Chi I'm starting to love reading your posts. hahaha.

@the comment about the interest in collecting carts. I am certain that these people do not find it interesting possibly they don't even enjoy doing it... You seem to be concluding that people who work in grocery stores live, breath, and dream of the grocery store that they work at. I find this highly unlikely.
I've worked at McDonalds and it actually was one of the best jobs I ever had... doesn't matter about the stereotypes, maybe I just got lucky and worked part of a great mcdonalds team. That wasn't what intereted me... when I get home I still play games, read books, go out, many many more things than 'flippin burgers on a grill'...

People on this forum might not be more intelligent than average, but it's a fair guess that they are more curious than average, and that can make up for a lot of brainpower differential as it translates into real-world performance.

Some people treat their education as a zero-sum game in which they only have to get better grades than their classmates to "come out ahead". Others want to know not only how to get the correct answers, but want a deeper understanding of why a procedure works to give correct answers. Yes, sometimes people post to get help with their homework and have to be prompted to at least take a stab at working through the problem themselves, but the really interesting people are the ones that want to know the "why", not just the "how". Kind of like the Chinese "teach a man to fish" proverb.

DaveC426913 said:
Except possibly jimmysnyder.
According to my mother, I'm very smart. According to my kids I'm not. I try to keep an open mind on the issue.

Last edited:

jimmysnyder said:
According to my mother, I'm very smart. According to my kids I'm not. I try to keep an open mind on the issue.
I defer to my dog. He thinks I'm a genius!

I think PF is quite smart.

WhoWee said:
I think PF is quite smart.
Certainly since it got upgraded to that new SkyNet chip...

DaveC426913 said:
Certainly since it got upgraded to that new SkyNet chip...

wait. what?

Skynet - you know, the defense department artificial intelligence computer network that became self aware and launched all of the US's nuclear missiles in 1997.

russ_watters said:
Skynet - you know, the defense department artificial intelligence computer network that became self aware and launched all of the US's nuclear missiles in 1997.

Now runs these forums... am I missing something here...