Voting for Experienced Leaders: Scandals, Continuity, International Affairs

• News
  • Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary: The important thing is that you cast your vote for a party, not for specific candidates.In summary, the person is discussing their priorities for who to vote for in the upcoming Slovak parliament elections and they say that they would want a party that is experienced, trustworthy, and has a good track record. They also mention that they are more worried about the ability of the party to do the job than they are about any scandals that may occur. They say that they would also like to see someone new and strong to solve the current EU crisis.
Sophia
So we have elections on Saturday. But the fact is I have no idea who to vote for. I want to vote for 4 different parties, changing my decision every day. I want to know how would people decide in this situation. What would be your priorities?

Experienced party with a few scandals, trustworthy and solid leader but they have opinions that you don't agree with 100%

Very Experienced leader with moderate amount of scandals, guarantee of stability and continuity, excellent in international affairs (which have become very important recently), but fails miserably at domestic scene

Party that you agree 100% with in all areas but they have no chance of winning so your vote would have no value. The people are new and you know nothing about them.

Experienced party, average amount of scandals, with some new faces that have excellent ideas about domestic social affairs and economy (you agree 100%) with a high chance of forming coalition. Their moral values (minorities, gay marriage, women, Church) are total opposite of yours. May or may not cause some problems in the EU and at home depending on new faces you know nothing about (old party was famous for constant arguing and inability to make compromise).

Who would you vote for?

Physics news on Phys.org
In NZ we resolve this problem by having two votes ... one vote is for the political party you'd most like to see form the government and the other for the specific person you think will best represent you or your electorate.
Your profile says you are in Europe - you may need to enlighten the non-Europeans around here which elections you are talking about ;)

I'd want a party with a record of paying attention ... individuals just need to be good at getting what they go after.
I'm not as worried about scandals as I am about ability to do the job.

Simon Bridge said:
In NZ we resolve this problem by having two votes ... one vote is for the political party you'd most like to see form the government and the other for the specific person you think will best represent you or your electorate.
Your profile says you are in Europe - you may need to enlighten the non-Europeans around here which elections you are talking about ;)

I'd want a party with a record of paying attention ... individuals just need to be good at getting what they go after.
I'm not as worried about scandals as I am about ability to do the job.
I am talking about parliament elections in Slovakia. We can vote for a party and than choose specific people from that party. I vote only for a party because to be honest I only know the leaders :-) as far as I know choosing specific people is not so important, it's parties as a whole that matter.
What I find most important is that our medical and school system are in a desolate state. You wouldn't believe if I told you that something like this is possible in the EU. Pharmaceutical mafia was stealing chemotherapy straight from patients at oncology in our biggest hospital and sold it to Western countries. This was happening for years! My own mothers leukemia came back because she couldn't get pills to prevent relapse for several months. There were other scandals similar to this and no one was ever punished.
I'm not even writing about other domestic affairs as that would be too long and depressing.
We definitely need someone new and strong to solve this.

I am also aware that we need a responsible and experienced representatives in the EU who are aware of all relationships and strategic interests. The EU is in a crisis and if it fails there will be very serious consequences.

Sounds to me like your priorities are anti-corruption and law-n-order.
You'll want a party that can field a group of people committed to these values.
As far as the individuals - it's up to you if you want to find out who the candidates are and how much you want to get involved.

Likes Sophia

1. What role do scandals play in the voting process for experienced leaders?

Scandals can have a significant impact on the voting process for experienced leaders. They can damage a leader's reputation and credibility, making voters question their ability to effectively govern. This can lead to a decrease in support and potentially sway voters towards other candidates.

2. How important is continuity in a leader when it comes to voting?

Continuity is a crucial factor in the voting process for experienced leaders. It refers to a leader's ability to maintain consistency and stability in their policies and actions. Continuity can give voters a sense of security and trust in a leader's ability to effectively lead and make decisions for the betterment of the country.

3. How does a leader's stance on international affairs impact the voting process?

A leader's stance on international affairs can be a significant factor in the voting process. In today's interconnected world, a leader's decisions and relationships with other countries can have a significant impact on their own country. Voters may consider a leader's experience and expertise in handling international relations when making their decision at the polls.

4. Can a leader's past experience in scandals affect their ability to lead effectively?

It depends on the severity of the scandals and how they have addressed and learned from them. While a leader's past mistakes and controversies may be brought up during the voting process, it ultimately depends on how they have handled and learned from them. A leader who has taken responsibility and shown growth from their past scandals may still be considered a viable candidate by voters.

5. How can voters ensure they are making an informed decision when it comes to choosing an experienced leader?

Voters can ensure they are making an informed decision by researching and gathering information on the candidates. This includes their past experience, track record, and their stances on important issues. It is also essential to fact-check information and not solely rely on biased sources. Engaging in debates, forums, and discussions can also provide valuable insights into a candidate's capabilities and plans for the future.