Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who wants a house in Beijing ?

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    Beijing is a great place to live, with the olympic games coming, the historical sites... Why would local residents be unhappy and protest ?
    Because they have been evicted from their homes, soon to be demolished.

Beijing residents stage protest over Olympic eviction

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2008 #2
    Wow. Did they at least get paid for the value of the home + land?

Methinks a little of this will be needed this year:

[​IMG]

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3
    I doubt we'll see much of that in Beijing. Athletes will get dq'ed automatically for making political statements on the podium.

5. Aug 4, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Darn, getting so you can't even trust your enemy to be good commies these days....

6. Aug 4, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

But maybe they are being good commies? The central planning committees apparently decided where they would put the Starbucks and Nike and the people were likely just told to move. Pretty simple really.

Admittedly it probably wasn't your US style eminent domain appropriation, but then communism isn't so much about the rights of the individual as perhaps the perceived collective good now is it?

7. Aug 4, 2008 #6
    That would be a really tough job for China as protests will receive more attention from the media.
    I would be surprised if there wudn't be any trouble.

8. Aug 4, 2008 #7
    Then we have to wonder if anybody will do it anyway.

9. Aug 4, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm, if a Chinese national did it, I'd be surprised. It would take courage, for sure, but it would be a powerful moment.

Remember the guy who stood in front of the tanks at Tiananmen Square...is he still a free man (or even alive)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Man

10. Aug 4, 2008 #9
    This would be the best opportunity for people who want to say something. But, the government has imprisoned all the activists :shy:.

I wish their government apologize for Tienanmen (I think they haven't - read it from BBC someday).

11. Aug 4, 2008 #10
    Of course, it would be pretty astounding if China made a public apology for those various things right before the games started, like during the starting ceremony.

12. Aug 4, 2008 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm still surprised that the olympics were allowed to be held in China, since the premise of the games seem to go against the politics of the country.

I, for one, will not be watching the games. I will not be buying from the sponsors.

13. Aug 4, 2008 #12
    /Devil's Advocate

What these citizens fail to realize is that this commercial strip will bring foreign money to the area and increase the value of properties nearby. In the long run, these evicted citizens will benefit from the increased influx of turists spending money in China. It's all for the greater benefit of the Republic, comrades. Get behind the tanks, not in front of them.

Communism + Capitalism = Win

14. Aug 4, 2008 #13

Evo

For a few weeks during the games? They will be closed down shortly afterwards.

15. Aug 5, 2008 #14
    Oh wow! If this is true then it's really messed up. What I don't get is why do Chinese people put up with this garbage; there's over 1 billion of you, go slap the Gov around!

16. Aug 5, 2008 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the presmise of the games to show off your country's genetic superiority by being stronger than all those foreign untermenschen? If so the ideal olympics were held in 1936.

ps. It's ironic how many of the olympic symbols which are being 'dragged into politics' by the protestors were invented for the Berlin olympics.

17. Aug 5, 2008 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't have expected it otherwise.

18. Aug 5, 2008 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here in Vancouver we are getting busy rounding up all the drunks/homeless/druggies before the 2010 winter olympics - not sure where we are shipping them yet

19. Aug 5, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

I just watched a spot on NBC news showing how the Chines authorities have taken water from a province near Beijing so that they can green up the city for the Olympics, run fountains, etc. The narrator said that the aquifer under the city is dropping at 20 feet/year due to heavy water usage and the booming population. I don't think I'll bother watching any of the Olympic events - the sight of those poor farmers who were denied irrigation water was pretty discouraging. Rice fields turned to dusty hard-pan..... I'd love to send them some of mine.

20. Aug 5, 2008 #19
    Some sort of compensation is given (I've never heard of houses being demoed and no compensation at all), the Chinese are not barbarians after all. Unfortunately there are cases were the money is interrupted before it gets to the people who's houses were lost. The federal government will have a plan that involves the relocation of a group of people and gives money to the municipal government but the municipal government 'loses' it in their trunk instead of allocating it to the people.

IMO there is a lot of be said about someone being literally forced out of their home if they do not agree to the compensation offer. Being financially compensated is only one factor here.

21. Aug 6, 2008 #20

Evo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?