Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who wants to help me DIG OUT!

1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    Woke up this morning to 1.5feet of snow on the ground and it's suppose to continue snowing for another 9Hrs. :grumpy:

Other conditions here in lovely Southern NH include -17 windchill and 45mph wind gusts.

Well gotta go, time to start shoveling. :cry:

Anyone here from Boston?, I hear you guys are really getting creamed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2
    Here in Arizona it's pretty nasty too. I almost had to put on a jacket this morning.

4. Jan 23, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

North of NYC we got about a foot (30 cm). I imagine Boston is getting socked. It was clearing up here, but still some snow down by the coast. Now it is overcast but sunny - about 30-35 mph winds.

I have to head out to Newark airport later. Hmmm.

5. Jan 23, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reminds me of the time last year I was flying out of Newark, when a snowstorm hit the area. The plane started taxiing...then had to stop and wait for 4 hours...then refuel. We took off 5 hours after boarding !

I was in that fight for 29 hours straight (another problem along the way), before getting off at Kuala Lumpur.

6. Jan 23, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Flight cancelled - forget Newark. I have to go the other direction.

Waiting to book a flight out of Albany, NY.

I'll wave to all you PFers as I fly by. :biggrin:

Should be over Ohio about 6:30 pm this evening.

7. Jan 23, 2005 #6

Evo

That's an awfully long drive Astronuc. I know the snow removal crews are great up there, but is it windy? I used to live near Albany.

8. Jan 23, 2005 #7
    :grumpy:

Took me two hours to dig out then three hours to thaw out! And it's still snowing.

I hear Boston might get 3 feet!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6835157/

9. Jan 23, 2005 #8

Evo

I guess I should e-mail my good friend in Boston and see how he's doing. They are always getting sacked, blizzards in the winter, hurricanes and floods in the summer.

Hope it lightens up kawikdx225, you have my sympathy.

10. Jan 23, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A friend of mine in N. Dakota says the only way to do it is to make hot chocolate first, put it in a good thermos to keep it hot, go out and shovel, then come in to your hot chocolate and take a hot shower. I figure she knows a bit about cold and snow, and I've taken that advice ever since then! :smile:

I lived in MI for a few years and even when I was only responsible for digging my car out of its parking space (lived in apts then), I quickly learned to go out and clear snow about every 4-6" worth. Shoveling 4-6" of snow isn't bad, but 18" gets to be really back breaking.

We had about 6" of snow on Thursday night and only got about an inch yesterday. I went out Thursday night and shoveled before going to bed, and took care of the drive last night as well, before it iced over (I wasn't sure what we'd get overnight, but there was a chance of some freezing rain). Got plenty of de-icer put down and now I'm the only one on the block with a clear driveway and sidewalk. :biggrin: For me, it was just enough snow to look pretty, not too much to really become back breaking to shovel, and gave me a chance to get outside and get in a little exercise. I enjoy shoveling snow as long as it isn't a daily thing.

11. Jan 23, 2005 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My blasted car battery is dead ! :mad:

12. Jan 23, 2005 #11
    We got about 8" of snow yesterday. High winds today make shoveling dificult and pretty much pointless fill s back in in about 5 minutes. :yuck:

Pretty though, since I don't have to drive anywhere today.

13. Jan 23, 2005 #12

Evo

Evo<-----gets out battery cables. I'll be there in about 12 hours Gokul, hold on!!!!

14. Jan 23, 2005 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(just to rub things in)
    I am going to put on some shorts, go sit out on my warm sunny porch, and eat a popsicle.

15. Jan 23, 2005 #14

Evo

:grumpy: That's ok, it has warmed up to a balmy 26 degrees F here.

16. Jan 23, 2005 #15
    My ice cream keeps running down my arm. I can't quite lick it fast enough to keep it from melting, not even with the AC going full blast.

17. Jan 23, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just for that...now I can't wait to get my cold hands on you! :devil: It's about 18 F here, brrrrrrrrrr!

18. Jan 23, 2005 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dang! Wife is just telling me she thinks its time to mow the lawn...

I think it can wait a few more weeks!

19. Jan 23, 2005 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18 !!!!

You lucky devil ! It hasn't touched double digits all day (at least, no part of the day that I was out).

I had to walk (about 15 minutes) to school, walk (10 mins out and 10 back) to lunch, walk to dinner, and it's now nearly time to walk back home . And the wind is killing ! :cry:

Tomorrow, I buy me a new battery. :approve:

20. Jan 23, 2005 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Evo, I'll be waiting.

Oh, and from here, it's just another 7 hours or thereabouts to Philly.

21. Jan 23, 2005 #20
    We got about 6" to 8" inches here in central PA (near Williamsport). Not sure exactly, I stay inside all day when it's like this outside. I don't mind the snow so much, it's the damn cold weather and wind.

Ryan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?