Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who wants to live forever?

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    Let's imagine in the near 2k years humans find a way to stop aging, would they be mentally ready for living forever? How will you fight the saturation in the brain, when you have experienced everything practically possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

There is always new stuff to do.

If you run out of things to do, attempt to amass all knowledge you can.

Hmm... get a degree in everything?

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    Just stopping aging doesn't guarantee you'll live forever. Accidents, homicide, infectious diseases, disasters of all kinds will eventually kill you if you live long enough.

But suppose you could live a very long time by replacing organs that are damaged. What if your brain is damaged? Maybe it could be replaced in 2k years, but would you still be you?

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4
    Read some Greg Bear. In at least one of his books there are side descriptions of the things people in the world do that live extra long lives. The one that always stuck with me was learning and inventing languages with trends in popular language.

6. Jan 8, 2010 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Man, If I could live forever, I'd finally get around to reading Arfken cover to cover :)

7. Jan 8, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much would you forget, and how quickly?

8. Jan 9, 2010 #7
    I heard (from "quarks and quirks") that you life expectancy is around 2000 years if you don't age.

I do wanna live forever. At least until protons starts to decay.

9. Jan 9, 2010 #8
    If the combination of all the knowledge of several groups of experts in various fields equates to less than one percent of consequential knowledge in the world then I don't think biological immortality will necessarily result in eventual boredom.

10. Jan 9, 2010 #9
    Yes, you could try to accumulate as much knowledge as you can, but eventually you'll run out of knowledge to learn or out of will to get any new.
    Let's assume the percent of any accidental death will be extremely small.

Any medical intervention to the brain (let's say simulating amnesia, removing memory blocks or replacing some brain "parts") is not a solution to the problem because you will just "restart" a previous state of you or "create" a new one.
    Yes, Norman Doidge recommends when getting at age near 60 to start learning a new language to stimulate the memory and the brain work as a whole, but this won't be a solution to the problem, because you won't get old and let's suppose that you will constantly improve your way of life and work (not have a monotonous life like old people).
    Let's say the people after 2k years won't have any causes of stress like we have now (they will be able to do only the things they want and work a job they want with no warring for terms or money, they won't worry about diseases etc). They will have a database with the whole current knowledge for humanity, clustered for different levels of understanding of the people, so you would be able to start learning something new from zero and slowly advancing. So we can assume that a person with average intelligence will forget too slow and will be able to find out very quickly what he has forgot from this database.
    Isn't this thing hypothetical? Anyway, let's assume for the discussion that humans after 2k years would be able stop any cause of aging or natural dying.
    Yes, but what if the speed of discovering new knowledge will be extremely slow? Actually it will, looking from now to the past.

11. Jan 9, 2010 #10
    If you stopped aging, I think eventually you'd start feeling the effects of being alive for so long; like heavy metal accumulation or something like that which only affects you in extended periods of time. Also, the chance of you developing cancer would be really high. Like if you lived normally for 100 years and you had a 10% chance of developing cancer; if you lived 1000 years, that would be 100%. It probably doesn't work that way but it sounds good.

But to answer your question: Some people live for 100 years in the same town and are perfectly happy. With the whole world to eventually explore, which would be constantly changing over the years, with no time limit (infinite lifespan), I don't think anyone would get bored.

12. Jan 9, 2010 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

More like 75%. 1-0.910.

13. Jan 9, 2010 #12
    I knew it wasn't 100. You could live forever and it would never be 100. But how did you get that calculation? My math isn't too good.

14. Jan 9, 2010 #13
    I do! I'd always figured that once I'd done everything, I'd just do it again on hard mode.

15. Jan 9, 2010 #14

Borek

10% in a life time means 90% chances of not getting ill. After two life times your chances of still being healthy are 0.9*0.9 - and so on.

16. Jan 9, 2010 #15
    I like the things the way they are ... not want to live a bit longer.

17. Jan 9, 2010 #16
    I hate the thought of not existing, so I'd want to live until thermodynamics finally wins.

I didn't exist for almost the entire history of the universe. Look how much I missed!

18. Jan 9, 2010 #17
    Death, there's just no future in it.

19. Jan 9, 2010 #18
    "Need a good death, death gives us size"

Although the timelord that said it was about 906 years old...so maybe he is a bad reference.

20. Jan 9, 2010 #19

Evo

So when people stop dying, do they also lose their ability to produce offspring? If they keep reproducing, there will be plenty of problems to keep them occupied, boredom won't be a problem when there is no place to live and no food to eat.

21. Jan 9, 2010 #20

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook