Who wants to live forever?

• Thread starter Ferris_bg
  • Start date
ideasrule
Homework Helper
Nerd response: does immortality involve immunity from injury (or at least, death as a result of injury)? Many organisms have biological immortality because their cells do not undergo senescence, but that doesn't prevent getting eaten.

Non-nerd response: I'll spend the first million years watching humanity advance technologically. Then I'll spend the next million spying on some poor aliens and watch them develop technologically. The 3rd million years will probably be boring. After that, I'll go from bored to depressed, from depressed to maniacal, from maniacal to suicidal, and from suicidal to insane (because suicide isn't possible).

I think our mortality gives life a sense of urgency and is a crucial element of progress. Would people rush to become famous scientists or achieve great things if they knew they could procrastinate as long as they wanted?

I remember there's a research that says something like Aging increase as you grow older but around 110+_20 aging almost stops. Now if we could make that stopping point to w/e age, like 20 or 30... then we might be able to live a lot longer.
I think it stops because you die.

Danger
Gold Member
I think it stops because you die.
:rofl:

I have no idea what the answer to the original question is, as to what happens if we could live forever, but I'm an experimentalist so I'd like to give it a try and find out.

Information density of the human brain is limited. Either we need to forget things we already know as we go along (which we already do - how much do you remember of yourself 10 or 20 years ago?), in which case the person that's causally linked from me 2k years from now is not really me and has very little in common with me, or we need off-site memory storage.

Personally, I'd like to go back to the beginning of time and watch the whole thing unfold. I'd like to see early humans learn to use tools and paint cave pictures. I'd like to see neanderthals interact with cromagnons. I'd like to see the first person to set foot in North America, the first pharaoh, and the first emperor of Rome. If you could live forever and you're in no hurry, there's so much that you could see and learn. And perhaps find places for some fine touches that make the world better off.

Yes, Norman Doidge recommends when getting at age near 60 to start learning a new language to stimulate the memory and the brain work as a whole, but this won't be a solution to the problem, because you won't get old and let's suppose that you will constantly improve your way of life and work (not have a monotonous life like old people).
And what does that have to do with anything? You need to be old to learn new languages and to find interest in them? Imagine the whole new worlds of literature that would open up to you with every new language you learn.

Sacrifice the Evil and breed the good. I mean at present there is no shortage of evil people.

Heh! Would the number of children over an immortal's life time be relative to that of our regular mortal's life time?

Evo. Imagine popping 2 or 3 kids out ever 100 years?

Statistically you'd also have to factor in still-borns etc. Would babies still suffer from sudden infant death?
And, I will decide who is evil :devil:

I do.

I read that if the whole population was forced to reproduce at a older age, then we would extend our life expectancy. The people who die in middle or young age would have to survive late life affecting genes. But if they reproduce before these late life genes were to apply, than it doesn't matter what happens to them after they reproduce. Tell me if this is not clear, but it does make sense in a way.

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think the question is "indefinite" or "forever"?

I'd have no real problem with having an indefinite life-span. Meaning, that I don't age and won't die unless some catastrophic event kills me. There'd be plenty of stuff to keep you interested for that (even 1 million years or more). But, as far as forever...that's a damn long time. Will I outlive even the Universe? Cus after trillions of years, all the stars will have stopped shinning and I'd be stuck in eternal darkness for the next googol years as all the black holes die of Hawking radiation. I'd be seriously seriously depressed.

Maybe I could pass the time if I had some companions with me...are other immortals allowed in this scenario?

I read that if the whole population was forced to reproduce at a older age, then we would extend our life expectancy. The people who die in middle or young age would have to survive late life affecting genes. But if they reproduce before these late life genes were to apply, than it doesn't matter what happens to them after they reproduce. Tell me if this is not clear, but it does make sense in a way.
This is obvious. The fact that you think it's new information speaks volumes about you.

Who wants to live forever?
Pick me, pick me...

My bad... I was a bit late in responding. Are all the slots filled now? :cry:

Information density of the human brain is limited.
If you live forever, you will have plenty of time to devote to the problem of transferring your conciousness to an expanded medium (e.g. a suitably larger 'electronic' brain). Brain 2.0

This is obvious. The fact that you think it's new information speaks volumes about you.
And what exactly does that supposed to mean. My only intent was to spread information to people who may not have known it. Any sarcasm from anyone is less constructive than so called obvious knowledge.