Who was glycolysis named after

• Thread starter TUMZZ
  • Start date
It is a combination of words. Glyco refers to "sugar". Lysis refers to "break down". This is a metabolic process found in all forms of life that breaks down sugar into energy. In summary, glycolysis is a metabolic process that breaks down sugar into energy found in all forms of life.
TUMZZ
I need to know what scientists discovered or found glycolysis for my bio test

Physics news on Phys.org
...come on...

seriously none of you

pa-tience (pay'shuhns) n.
1. the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain without complaint, loss of temper, or anger.
2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay.
3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence.
4. Chiefly Brit. SOLITAIRE (def. 1).
[1175-1225; ME pacience < OF < L patientia. See PATIENT, - ENCE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolysis

--
methods

TUMZZ said:
I need to know what scientists discovered or found glycolysis for my bio test

Ignoring the question in the original post, but attending the title of the post:

Use some academic skill. Examine the parts of the word, "glycolysis". Use a dictionary to understand the root parts. This was not named for a person.

1. Who was glycolysis named after?

Glycolysis was named after the Greek words "glykys" (meaning sweet) and "lysis" (meaning split), and was first described by French chemist Louis Pasteur in 1857.

2. Why is glycolysis named after "sweet" and "split"?

The process of glycolysis involves breaking down glucose (a sugar) into two smaller molecules of pyruvate, which is a sweet-tasting compound. The term "lysis" also refers to the splitting of molecules, which is a key step in glycolysis.

3. Did Louis Pasteur discover glycolysis?

No, Louis Pasteur did not discover glycolysis itself. However, he was the first to describe the process and give it a name, based on his experiments with fermentation and sugar metabolism in yeast cells.

4. Are there any other scientists who contributed to the understanding of glycolysis?

Yes, there have been many other scientists who have contributed to our understanding of glycolysis. Some notable figures include Gustav Embden, Otto Meyerhof, and Carl Neuberg, who all made significant discoveries related to the process in the early 20th century.

5. Is glycolysis only found in humans?

No, glycolysis is a universal metabolic process that is found in all living organisms, from bacteria to plants to animals. It is the first step in cellular respiration, the process by which cells convert glucose into energy for essential functions.