Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Terence Tao.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
JWHooper

Main Question or Discussion Point

I think Albert Einstein was best at math.

Answers and Replies

For me, it's Carl Gauss.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Other was really good at math. In fact, he was pretty awesome!

Gauss had something like over 200 papers. Amazing.

I vote other because it would include all of the above, plus all others. IMO

Gauss and Euler. This is based on shear volume of high quality work.

From the list, I'd also have to go with Gauss.

I think Newton would have been "the ultimate" if he didn't spend so much time on alchemy and junk.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gauss is going to win this by miles.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Gauss gets my vote. The man was an genius physicist and mathematician and made famous, unrivaled contributions to both fields. Most of us would be considered extremely brilliant to make 1/4 of the contributions he made to one of the fields.

Well Gauss studied many thinks.... many branches in both math and physics, but i think that also Riemann was a genus; unforunately he died early in his forties...
ciao
marco

so Carl Friedrich Gauss was the best mathematician?

Of that, dare I say, limited list, perhaps.

tgt
What about Euler or Riemann?

Of that, dare I say, limited list, perhaps.
Oh come now, old chap. Whats with this sudden change in style of typing?

Cheerio.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Other was really good at math. In fact, he was pretty awesome!
Gauss had something like over 200 papers. Amazing.
Yeah, but think about how many papers Other had!

Y'all are forgetting Archimedes.

Euler
Galois
Cauchy
Godel

Art
From the list, I'd also have to go with Gauss.

I think Newton would have been "the ultimate" if he didn't spend so much time on alchemy and junk.
Wasn't Newton's alchemy simply early chemistry. Alchemy sounded like nonsense because of the strange allegorical way in which alchemists described their work but once you get past the Mars = Iron and Saturn = lead etc it was pretty good science for it's day and it is pretty easy to see why some of the compounds they produced would have seemed like magic to them.

Did Newton get anywhere with it, though? I don't recall ever hearing of him accomplishing anything with his study in Alchemy (or whatever you want to call it).

Art
Did Newton get anywhere with it, though? I don't recall ever hearing of him accomplishing anything with his study in Alchemy (or whatever you want to call it).
Indirectly perhaps
Sir Isaac Newton, the famous seventeenth-century mathematician and scientist, though not generally known as an alchemist, practiced the art with a passion. Though he wrote over a million words on the subject, after his death in 1727, the Royal Society deemed that they were "not fit to be printed." The papers were rediscovered in the middle of the twentieth century and most scholars now concede that Newton was first an foremost an alchemist. It is also becoming obvious that the inspiration for Newton's laws of light and theory of gravity came from his alchemical work.
http://www.alchemylab.com/isaac_newton.htm

Reminds me of how I can sometimes get the right answer on a test or homework problem while completely misunderstanding the math and physics involved. :grumpy:

Not to say he didn't, just that he went about it the wrong way but ended up in the right spot anyway.

I voted Gauss.I thought he might be popular but I was surprised so many people agreed. But for me he was a bit of a giant.

In order to hide the fact that I totally lack any mathematical culture, I will do just as the other who said "Other". Thus, you will not be aware of the terribly limited understanding I have of the immense field of its contributors.

No after all I changed my mind. I vote for Ramanujan's teacher in high school.

And, oh, BTW Albert was a good physicist, not a mathematician at all.