Who was/is best at mathematics?

• Thread starter JWHooper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, Carl Friedrich Gauss is considered by many to be the best mathematician due to his immense contributions to both mathematics and physics. Other notable mathematicians such as Leonhard Euler, Bernhard Riemann, and Archimedes were also mentioned, but Gauss received the most votes. Some argued that Isaac Newton could have been the ultimate mathematician if he hadn't spent so much time on alchemy, and others mentioned the importance of Ramanujan's high school teacher. Overall, there are numerous mathematicians who have made significant contributions to the field and should be recognized for their work.

Who was the smartest at mathematics?

• Newton.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Leibniz.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Gauss.

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • Einstein.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Terence Tao.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
JWHooper
I think Albert Einstein was best at math.

Physics news on Phys.org
For me, it's Carl Gauss.

Other was really good at math. In fact, he was pretty awesome!

Gauss had something like over 200 papers. Amazing.

Gauss.

I vote other because it would include all of the above, plus all others. IMO

Gauss and Euler. This is based on shear volume of high quality work.

From the list, I'd also have to go with Gauss.

I think Newton would have been "the ultimate" if he didn't spend so much time on alchemy and junk.

Gauss is going to win this by miles.

Gauss gets my vote. The man was an genius physicist and mathematician and made famous, unrivaled contributions to both fields. Most of us would be considered extremely brilliant to make 1/4 of the contributions he made to one of the fields.

Well Gauss studied many thinks... many branches in both math and physics, but i think that also Riemann was a genus; unforunately he died early in his forties...
ciao
marco

so Carl Friedrich Gauss was the best mathematician?

Of that, dare I say, limited list, perhaps.

What about Euler or Riemann?

binzing said:
Of that, dare I say, limited list, perhaps.

Oh come now, old chap. Whats with this sudden change in style of typing?

Cheerio.

Gokul43201 said:
Other was really good at math. In fact, he was pretty awesome!

Cyrus said:
Gauss had something like over 200 papers. Amazing.

Yeah, but think about how many papers Other had!

Y'all are forgetting Archimedes.

Euler
Galois
Cauchy
Godel

Poop-Loops said:
From the list, I'd also have to go with Gauss.

I think Newton would have been "the ultimate" if he didn't spend so much time on alchemy and junk.
Wasn't Newton's alchemy simply early chemistry. Alchemy sounded like nonsense because of the strange allegorical way in which alchemists described their work but once you get past the Mars = Iron and Saturn = lead etc it was pretty good science for it's day and it is pretty easy to see why some of the compounds they produced would have seemed like magic to them.

Did Newton get anywhere with it, though? I don't recall ever hearing of him accomplishing anything with his study in Alchemy (or whatever you want to call it).

Poop-Loops said:
Did Newton get anywhere with it, though? I don't recall ever hearing of him accomplishing anything with his study in Alchemy (or whatever you want to call it).
Indirectly perhaps
Sir Isaac Newton, the famous seventeenth-century mathematician and scientist, though not generally known as an alchemist, practiced the art with a passion. Though he wrote over a million words on the subject, after his death in 1727, the Royal Society deemed that they were "not fit to be printed." The papers were rediscovered in the middle of the twentieth century and most scholars now concede that Newton was first an foremost an alchemist. It is also becoming obvious that the inspiration for Newton's laws of light and theory of gravity came from his alchemical work.
http://www.alchemylab.com/isaac_Newton.htm

Reminds me of how I can sometimes get the right answer on a test or homework problem while completely misunderstanding the math and physics involved. :grumpy:

Not to say he didn't, just that he went about it the wrong way but ended up in the right spot anyway.

I voted Gauss.I thought he might be popular but I was surprised so many people agreed. But for me he was a bit of a giant.

In order to hide the fact that I totally lack any mathematical culture, I will do just as the other who said "Other". Thus, you will not be aware of the terribly limited understanding I have of the immense field of its contributors.

No after all I changed my mind. I vote for Ramanujan's teacher in high school.

And, oh, BTW Albert was a good physicist, not a mathematician at all.

humanino said:
And, oh, BTW Albert was a good physicist, not a mathematician at all.

Psh, good physicist? Not if you exclude Relativity. We all know it was Mileva who created relativity. :rolleyes:

Daniel Y. said:
Psh, good physicist? Not if you exclude Relativity.
Oh well, Albert received a Nobel prize "for his services to Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", and probably he would have gotten it even without relativity :tongue2:

Seriously, this is an interesting historical issue. Note in particular that the speech begins with
There is probably no physicist living today whose name has become so widely known as that of Albert Einstein. Most discussion centres on his theory of relativity. This pertains essentially to epistemology and has therefore been the subject of lively debate in philosophical circles. It will be no secret that the famous philosopher Bergson in Paris has challenged this theory, while other philosophers have acclaimed it wholeheartedly. The theory in question also has astrophysical implications which are being rigorously examined at the present time.
and then, that's it about relativity. One has to read much more to fully appreciate the context.

I voted for Gauss. And then was surprised to see that nobody else was even remotely close.

Gauss was probably the most amazing and prolific mathematician who has ever lived.

Last edited:
Where's Euler? Like half of mathematics has an "Euler something"

binzing said:
I vote other because it would include all of the above, plus all others. IMO

Same. Also, some other great mathematician were forgotten (Euler, Riemann, Archimedes, Fermat, Fibonacci etc). Some may have not created the best theories but the fact that they contributed to mathematics is something to be proud of.

Air said:
Same. Also, some other great mathematician were forgotten (Euler, Riemann, Archimedes, Fermat, Fibonacci etc). Some may have not created the best theories but the fact that they contributed to mathematics is something to be proud of.

Maybe Renes Descartes should be up there then. :wink:

Gauss for me.

Euler, Gauss, Ramanujan, Hardy, Hamilton (all of them), Galois, Riemann, Hilbert, Weierstrass, Euclid, Poincare etc etc take your pick there are many great mathematicians that don't appear in this poll.

I have no idea why the poll has a few of the greatest physicists instead!

Didn't Einstein enlist the help of a mathametician when developing his theories? And wasn't his wife always doing the math?

I don't think he was a mathametician at all. Brilliant physicist, nonetheless.

Seeing as Gauss is practically the only mathametician on the list... there is little choice but to vote him.

1. Who is considered the greatest mathematician of all time?

This is a highly debated question and there is no definitive answer. Some people believe that ancient mathematicians such as Euclid, Archimedes, and Pythagoras were the greatest due to their groundbreaking contributions to the field. Others argue that modern mathematicians like Isaac Newton, Leonhard Euler, and Carl Friedrich Gauss should be considered the greatest due to their significant impact on mathematics and other fields such as physics. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal opinion.

2. What makes a mathematician "the best"?

Again, this is subjective and can vary depending on individual perspectives. Some may consider a mathematician to be the best if they have made the most significant contributions to the field, while others may value their ability to solve complex problems or their creativity in approaching mathematical concepts. Ultimately, there is no one defining factor that makes a mathematician the best.

3. Who has the most published works in mathematics?

According to a study by the American Mathematical Society, the mathematician with the most published works is Paul Erdős, a Hungarian mathematician who collaborated with hundreds of other mathematicians and published over 1,500 papers in his lifetime.

4. Who has won the most prestigious awards in mathematics?

The most prestigious award in mathematics is considered to be the Fields Medal, which is awarded every four years to 2-4 mathematicians under the age of 40 for their outstanding contributions to the field. As of 2021, the mathematicians with the most Fields Medals are Laurent Schwartz, John Milnor, and John G. Thompson, each with two awards.

5. Who is currently considered the best mathematician?

As mentioned before, this is subjective and there is no one definitive answer. However, some of the most well-known and highly respected mathematicians in the field currently include Terence Tao, Maryam Mirzakhani, and Sir Andrew Wiles. These mathematicians have made significant contributions to various areas of mathematics and have been recognized with prestigious awards and honors.