Who was the best, bar none , movie star of the 20th century?

In summary, this really is a hard choice for me, as there were several, but considering fan appreciation, money making, and quantity of movies made, I would pick JOHN WAYNE.Ditto,TJ...I'd like to add Evo for her work in stills.Probably Jack Nicholson. He is vastly more fascinating than most actors to watch, and he has managed to relocate the center of his fame onto his most recent role more than most other actors.
timejim
This really is a hard choice for me, as there were several, but considering fan appreciation, money making, and quantity of movies made, I would pick JOHN WAYNE.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ditto,TJ...I'd like to add Evo for her work in stills.

Probably Jack Nicholson. He is vastly more fascinating than most actors to watch, and he has managed to relocate the center of his fame onto his most recent role more than most other actors.
First it was Randle P. McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest Then it was Jake Giddes in Chinatown. Then it was the father in The Shinning. Then it was Van Horn in The Witches Of Eastwick. Then it was the Marine in A Few Good Men.

James Stewart or Tom Hanks for me.

Jack Nicholson has my vote.

Originally posted by Echo 6 Sierra
I'd like to add Evo for her work in stills.
You are so sweet...and FUNNY!

Actually, I did sing on national tv with Arlo Guthrie once. There must be some old timers out there that remember him.

My favorite actor is Cary Grant, my favorite film by him is a Christmas film The Bishop's Wife where he plays an angel. It is sooo funny.

Bugs Bunny

Originally posted by Evo
Actually, I did sing on national tv with Arlo Guthrie once. There must be some old timers out there that remember him.
NO JOKE?? ARLO GUTHRIE? Tell us about this! What show? You must have been just a BABY! :wink:

Originally posted by Tsunami
NO JOKE?? ARLO GUTHRIE? Tell us about this! What show? You must have been just a BABY! :wink:
Nothing glamorous. I worked for a radio station that had their transmitter bombed the the Ku Klux Klan and a song by Arlo Guthrie was playing when we went off the air.

There was a show called the Great American Dream Machine that did documentaries for PBS and they decided to do a documentary on us. Arlo was asked to write a song about the bombing and come to our station and sing it with the station workers for the show. I was asked to sit next to him for the filming.

And on topic, Arlo is also a movie star.

"You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant"

I vote for Elizabeth Taylor.

Originally posted by rick1138
"You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant"
Wow, I'm impressed, I didn't think anyone would know.

I vote for Katharine Hepburn ... especially Katharine Hepburn / Spencer Tracy duo.

Arlo Guthrie was a main character in a tv series that was filmed in Hawaii for a while. Not sure what happened to it though. I think it just didn't "pop" for the networks.

And speaking of Evo...is there an avatar or smiley with little chirpy birds flying in circles overhead, or little hearts swelling up and poppping...(swoon)Evo, would you be my Valentine? (blush) And forget pickles, I jus want to ride my mowtor-sickle.

Peter Falk.

I'm serious. You sould see his work in films of John Cassavetes.

Tough one...
Of course you can look at their effect on the populace...
Marilyn Monroe
James Dean
Marlon Brando
Liz Taylor

Or their esoteric style and proof of range...
Johnny Depp
Gary Oldman
Jack Nicholson
Robin Williams

Their classical style and technical abilities...
Bette Davis
Judi Densch (sp?)
Audrey Hepburn
Jim Varney
Juliette Binoche

Their box-office drawing power...
Arnold Schwartzenwhatever
James Stewart
Leonardo Dicaprio

The acting giants of the seventies/early eighties grit explosion...
Robert Deniro
Al Pachino
Harvey Keitel

God, this list could go on forever!

On most days I think I would have to go with a toss up between:
Johnny Depp, Gary Oldman and Jack Nicholson
With honorable mention to Jim Varney, of course.

I am surprised no one nominated Pauly Shore yet.
Didn't you see his heart wrenching performance in "Encino Man"?

One_Raven, your mention of Gary Oldman made me realize I'd forgotten about him. He may in fact be the greatest living actor, now that Laurence Olivier is gone. Oldman's range is stupendous. He can play anything, it seems, powerfully and convincingly. Most people have probably seen him in several different things without realizing it was the same actor, he is such a complete chameleon.

Of course you're right, though: there is Jim Varney...

I was tempted to say DeNiro, but he has pretty limited range. I would say Jimmy Stewart. When you look at his range, it is amazing. He did comedy very well (Harvey, Philadelphia Story), westerns, It's a Wonderful Life, and those Hitchcock movies.

Njorl

Max Weinberg.

What criteria are used to determine the best movie star of the 20th century?

The criteria used to determine the best movie star of the 20th century can vary, but often include factors such as box office success, critical acclaim, longevity, impact on the film industry, and overall cultural influence.

Who are some of the top contenders for the title of best movie star of the 20th century?

Some of the most frequently mentioned contenders for the title of best movie star of the 20th century include icons such as Marlon Brando, Meryl Streep, Audrey Hepburn, and Humphrey Bogart.

What is the significance of the 20th century in determining the best movie star?

The 20th century was a pivotal time in the evolution of cinema, with the rise of technology and the development of Hollywood as a major film hub. Therefore, many consider this time period to be the prime era for determining the best movie star.

How has the definition of "best movie star" evolved over the 20th century?

The definition of "best movie star" has evolved over the 20th century as societal norms and values have changed. In the early 1900s, the focus was often on charisma and on-screen presence, while in later decades, acting ability and versatility became more important factors.

Is it possible to definitively determine the best movie star of the 20th century?

No, it is not possible to definitively determine the best movie star of the 20th century as opinions and criteria vary greatly. What may be considered the best to one person may not be the same for another. It is ultimately a subjective and ongoing debate.