Who was the worst US President?

• News
  • Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date

Worst US President of the 21th century

• Total voters
cronxeh
Gold Member
Who do you think was the worst past US President, and why? I personally nominate Richard Nixon, because, well because he was an idiot in almost everything he did.

Answers and Replies

FDR for the New Deal...

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Worst President of the 21th century?

And I'm pretty sure... depending on what century you're talking about, have far too few names or far too many names.

cronxeh
Gold Member
From the choices available, if you had to pick

Oh and 20th century of course :biggrin:

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Well I really don't know anything about Taft or Wilson so I'm not sure what to say

How on earth did you decide to put Truman, Taft, and Wilson on there? Did you just decide to pull names out of a hat?

rachmaninoff
Where's Hoover? Where's Reagan?

Pengwuino
Gold Member
rachmaninoff said:
Where's Hoover? Where's Reagan?
I think he put all the names in a hat and just pulled 6 out

I'm stuck between Hoover and Reagan... Okay Reagan's bad but you can't beat Hoover in Badness.

Too bad theír not on the list.

(who the **** is "taft")

Definitely not Wilson, that guy was a hero. He could've done so much good for the world if congress hadn't been against him.

cronxeh
Gold Member
Well Reagan i'm impartial to because of his work on collapse of USSR, and he deserves respect for that. Truman for nuking Japan.

Yeah Wilson should be replaced with Hoover. What about Andrew Johnson?

edit.. Taft was president right after TR, I think 1904/1908. I can't remember him doing too much, but I know TR was disappointed with him and decided to run against him the following term, that is when Wilson came in, must have been 1912 then.

Last edited:
Truman for bombing Japan.

Entropy said:
Truman for bombing Japan.
Well, the atomic bombs obviously weren't a good thing, but Truman certainly didn't take it lightly. It came down to two choices: either fire-bomb Tokyo (which would have killed 200K civilians per month) or drop the atomic bomb. When all radiation deaths are included, the two bombs killed fewer than that number of people, so if the war hadn't ended within the month, then there would have been more deaths (not even including military deaths). Was it an evil? Yes. Was it the lesser of the two evils? Probably.

Well, the atomic bombs obviously weren't a good thing, but Truman certainly didn't take it lightly. It came down to two choices: either fire-bomb Tokyo (which would have killed 200K civilians per month) or drop the atomic bomb. When all radiation deaths are included, the two bombs killed fewer than that number of people, so if the war hadn't ended within the month, then there would have been more deaths (not even including military deaths). Was it an evil? Yes. Was it the lesser of the two evils? Probably.
Or just have done nothing. Japan's navy was gone and its forces shattered. Maybe they weren't a threat anymore?

I know how to settle this. Pro's and Con's.
Truman
Pros:
Marshall Plan
Supported United Nations
Fair Deal*
Executive Order 9981
Cons:
A-Bomb
Second Red Scare
Truman Doctrine
Hydrogen Bomb

Johnson
Pros
Great Society
War on Poverty*
Equal Opportunity Act
Cons
Escalation of Vietnam
Dealing with MFDP

+1

Nixon
Pros
Space shuttle program
China Card - SALT I
EPA
NOAA
MBDA
SSI
Détente
Cons
Watergate
DEA

+5

I think there's something wrong with my system. :yuck:
Truman wins.

*I admit degrees of ignorance for these programs

Skyhunter
Townsend said:
FDR for the New Deal...
Of the available choices I would have thought you would pick Taft. He was President when the 16th (income tax) amendment was passed.

russ_watters
Mentor
Wilson would be in my top 5. I probably would have said Andrew Johnson.

Skyhunter said:
Of the available choices I would have thought you would pick Taft. He was President when the 16th (income tax) amendment was passed.
When I posted that there were no choices listed, just the question of who was the worst US president. So I said FDR....

I suppose from the choices that Taft is my pick for the worst just because of 16th amendment but I do appericate the fact that he established Yellow Stone National Park..:smile:

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Wilson would be in my top 5. I probably would have said Andrew Johnson.
is that a best list or a worst list?

Pengwuino
Gold Member
motai said:
The White House had to install a new bathtub for him...
How is this a bad thing :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lisa!
Gold Member
I just know 1 president of 21th century and he's Bush! :confused: But if you're asking about 20th century, all of them! :uhh:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I voted Johnson thinking that was Andrew on the list....only after reading Smurf's post did I realize it might as easily be refering to Lyndon.

I didn't even think of Andrew... he wasn't in the 20th century though was he?