Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who was the worst US President?

1. Nixon

2. Truman

3. Johnson

4. Taft

5. Wilson

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1

Gold Member

Who do you think was the worst past US President, and why? I personally nominate Richard Nixon, because, well because he was an idiot in almost everything he did.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2
    FDR for the New Deal...
  4. Oct 10, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Worst President of the 21th century?

And I'm pretty sure... depending on what century you're talking about, have far too few names or far too many names.
  5. Oct 10, 2005 #4

Gold Member

From the choices available, if you had to pick

Oh and 20th century of course :biggrin:
  6. Oct 10, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Well I really don't know anything about Taft or Wilson so I'm not sure what to say
  7. Oct 10, 2005 #6
    How on earth did you decide to put Truman, Taft, and Wilson on there? Did you just decide to pull names out of a hat?
  8. Oct 10, 2005 #7
    Where's Hoover? Where's Reagan?
  9. Oct 10, 2005 #8

Gold Member

I think he put all the names in a hat and just pulled 6 out
  10. Oct 10, 2005 #9
    I'm stuck between Hoover and Reagan... Okay Reagan's bad but you can't beat Hoover in Badness.

Too bad theír not on the list.

(who the **** is "taft")
  11. Oct 10, 2005 #10
    Definitely not Wilson, that guy was a hero. He could've done so much good for the world if congress hadn't been against him.
  12. Oct 10, 2005 #11

Gold Member

Well Reagan i'm impartial to because of his work on collapse of USSR, and he deserves respect for that. Truman for nuking Japan.
  13. Oct 10, 2005 #12
  14. Oct 10, 2005 #13
    Yeah Wilson should be replaced with Hoover. What about Andrew Johnson?

edit.. Taft was president right after TR, I think 1904/1908. I can't remember him doing too much, but I know TR was disappointed with him and decided to run against him the following term, that is when Wilson came in, must have been 1912 then.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  15. Oct 10, 2005 #14
    Truman for bombing Japan.
  16. Oct 10, 2005 #15
    Well, the atomic bombs obviously weren't a good thing, but Truman certainly didn't take it lightly. It came down to two choices: either fire-bomb Tokyo (which would have killed 200K civilians per month) or drop the atomic bomb. When all radiation deaths are included, the two bombs killed fewer than that number of people, so if the war hadn't ended within the month, then there would have been more deaths (not even including military deaths). Was it an evil? Yes. Was it the lesser of the two evils? Probably.
  17. Oct 10, 2005 #16
    Or just have done nothing. Japan's navy was gone and its forces shattered. Maybe they weren't a threat anymore?
  18. Oct 10, 2005 #17
    I know how to settle this. Pro's and Con's.
    Marshall Plan
    Supported United Nations
    Fair Deal*
    Executive Order 9981
    Second Red Scare
    Truman Doctrine
    Hydrogen Bomb

Great Society
    War on Poverty*
    Equal Opportunity Act
    Escalation of Vietnam
    Dealing with MFDP

Space shuttle program
    China Card - SALT I

I think there's something wrong with my system. :yuck:
    Truman wins.

*I admit degrees of ignorance for these programs
  19. Oct 10, 2005 #18
    Of the available choices I would have thought you would pick Taft. He was President when the 16th (income tax) amendment was passed.
  20. Oct 10, 2005 #19

Staff: Mentor

Wilson would be in my top 5. I probably would have said Andrew Johnson.
  21. Oct 10, 2005 #20
    When I posted that there were no choices listed, just the question of who was the worst US president. So I said FDR....

I suppose from the choices that Taft is my pick for the worst just because of 16th amendment but I do appericate the fact that he established Yellow Stone National Park..:smile:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?