Who was the worst US President?

• News
  • Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date

Worst US President of the 21th century

• Total voters
Skyhunter
Townsend said:
When I posted that there were no choices listed, just the question of who was the worst US president. So I said FDR....

I suppose from the choices that Taft is my pick for the worst just because of 16th amendment but I do appericate the fact that he established Yellow Stone National Park..:smile:
Ulysses S. Grant was President when Yellow Stone National Park was established.

By Act of March 1, 1872, Congress established Yellowstone National Park in the Territories of Montana and Wyoming "as a public park or pleasuring ground for the benefit and enjoyment of the people" and placed it "under exclusive control of the Secretary of the Interior." The founding of Yellowstone National Park began a worldwide national park movement. Today more than 100 nations contain some 1,200 national parks or equivalent preserves.
And Woodrow Wilson was the President who signed th act creating the National Park Service. So you can pick Taft as the worst President without any reservations.:smile:

Skyhunter
Smurf said:
I didn't even think of Andrew... he wasn't in the 20th century though was he?
He was Lincoln's Vice President.

Skyhunter said:
He was Lincoln's Vice President.
... that's a "no" then right? Lincoln was like 18-something something.

Lisa!
Gold Member
Smurf said:
I didn't even think of Andrew... he wasn't in the 20th century though was he?
You're right. He was 1865-1869.
PS someone please edit the poll question!

Last edited:
Any good US presidents? Or are you all just anti-US?

Pengwuino
Gold Member
deckart said:
The poll is about who the worst out of 5 particular are

Or just have done nothing. Japan's navy was gone and its forces shattered. Maybe they weren't a threat anymore?
I actually aggree that Truman had no option, if he didnt drop 'em Japan wouldnt have given up.. And a LOT more blood would have been spilt on both sides... So it was the lesser of two evils

yeh Clinton... haha

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Oh god is this thread going to turn into another one of those Japan/nuke threads.

Just go ask Germany how Soviet occupation felt, end of discussion.

Becuase Japan were communists and were going to invade china and create the People Republic of China....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Anttech said:
Becuase Japan were communists and were going to invade china and create the People Republic of China....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying the Soviet Union didn't declare war on Japan and wasn't attempting to move troops into it?

Well if are linking Truman to dropping the bomb on Japan and stopping stalin taking Japan, then it wont make sence... I find that link hard to believe

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Anttech said:
Well if are linking Truman to dropping the bomb on Japan and stopping stalin taking Japan, then it wont make sence... I find that link hard to believe
I don't see how anyone can miss the link. The soviets were going to invade, US wanted the spoils of war, nuke = immediate end to hostilities which allowed the US to bring in people before the soviets could. Otherwise, the soviets could come in, "meet the allies", and you have the same thing that happened in Germany. Obvious link.

Now as to whether this makes him a good president or not, there is no link. Good military/diplomatic strategy... but it was 1 decision out of an entire presidency worth of stuff. Maybe that is what you're talking about.

I don't see how anyone can miss the link. The soviets were going to invade, US wanted the spoils of war, nuke = immediate end to hostilities which allowed the US to bring in people before the soviets could. Otherwise, the soviets could come in, "meet the allies", and you have the same thing that happened in Germany. Obvious link.
I never made that Link... The reason I believe that Truman dropped the bomb is becuase he knew he would win, but the Japanese wouldnt have surrendered easy. He calculated that it would take Millions of Allied and Japanese lifes to stop the conflict. Dropping the Bombs ensured that far less life’s would be lost... Imagine the carnage (on both sides)if the allies stormed the beaches

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Anttech said:
I never made that Link... The reason I believe that Truman dropped the bomb is becuase he knew he would win, but the Japanese wouldnt have surrendered easy. He calculated that it would take Millions of Allied and Japanese lifes to stop the conflict. Dropping the Bombs ensured that far less life’s would be lost... Imagine the carnage (on both sides)if the allies stormed the beaches
Oh of course, I just didn't want to bring that up because in previous discussions, there was a looooooot of people who got pissed off at that kind of reasoning. None of them brought up any actual factual information to support it except for one guy who went "according to one little known and rarely-publicized guy from Canada (or something), Japan was going to surrender within a few days". Never found out who this guy was but that was his reasoning that supposedly trumped all historians views.

cronxeh
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Oh god is this thread going to turn into another one of those Japan/nuke threads.

I dont think this sort of thing should ever be forgotten, especially considering it was done twice on two separate days

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Harding was, by far, the worst president of the 20th century. He wasn't responsible for anything historic except for the Teapot Dome scandal, but that's just pure luck. The guy makes Bush look like the president of Mensa.

Skyhunter said:
Ulysses S. Grant was President when Yellow Stone National Park was established.

That's strange...someone needs to edit wiki then.

Taft fought for prosecution of trusts, further strengthened the Interstate Commerce Commission, established Yellowstone National park, established a postal savings bank and a parcel post system, expanded the civil service and sponsored the enactment of two amendments to the Constitution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Taft

But thanks for the correction

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
jimmysnyder said:
http://www.americanpresident.org/history/warrenharding/

I have no idea how they came by this piece of intelligence.
Perhaps we can use smurf's system to evaluate Harding:

Pros
  • Nice guy
Cons
  • Gambled away the White House China
  • Admitted he was in over his head after being elected
  • Had numerous appointees convicted of defrauding the US government
  • Teapot Dome
  • Was such a bad speaker that every president since has employed a professional speech writer
  • Had two known extramarital affairs while in office
  • Was probably the president who first allowed big oil to control US foreign policy
  • Was responsible for the rise of both Coolidge and Hoover
  • Was probably poisoned by his own wife

Score

Last edited:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Having to resign because of Watergate pretty much clinches the worst spot for Nixon. If he hadn't been so paranoid (or at least surrounded by an unbalanced campaign staff), he would have won re-election easily and would have ranked towards the top of any list of presidents.

Of the choices given, Taft would be lowest in effectiveness.

Truman (and continued by Eisenhower) helped Europe recover from WWII. Johnson turned all those platitudes voiced by Kennedy into reality. Wilson wasn't successful in his League of Nations efforts, but I think his efforts did lay the groundwork for the United Nations to somewhat work.

Taft was thoroughly forgettable (as Ford and Carter will be).

Skyhunter
Skyhunter
loseyourname said:
Perhaps we can use smurf's system to evaluate Harding:

Pros
  • Nice guy
Cons
  • Gambled away the White House China
  • Admitted he was in over his head after being elected
  • Had numerous appointees convicted of defrauding the US government
  • Teapot Dome
  • Was such a bad speaker that every president since has employed a professional speech writer
  • Had two known extramarital affairs while in office
  • Was probably the president who first allowed big oil to control US foreign policy
  • Was responsible for the rise of both Coolidge and Hoover
  • Was probably poisoned by his own wife

Score

He was also known as quite a womanizer. In fact one of his bastards is the father of my chiropractor.

I was watching a conference of historians last year on C-SPAN where they were actually revising his standing as worst president in history, using the standard of "harm to the Union" as a measure.

loseyourname said:
Perhaps we can use smurf's system to evaluate Harding
I meant I don't know how they found out what 'most historians' regard.

russ_watters
Mentor
Smurf said:
is that a best list or a worst list?
[re: Wilson being in the top 5] Top 5 would be best...

jimmysnyder said:
I meant I don't know how they found out what 'most historians' regard.
Maybe most historians use my system. :biggrin:
I mean, from that it's pretty obvious he was a dink.

Edit: Although I don't see how getting poisoned by his wife makes him a bad guy.

Last edited: