Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who was the youngest professor?

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1

I am incredibly, curious. Who was the youngest professor? Also, generally what age do you become a professor of pure mathematics? And, Im going to uni at the age of 16, when should i become a professor?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    Terrence Tao from Australia became a professor at 24, and received his first Phd at 20.
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    Erik Demaine is a professor of EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science). He works mainly in computational geometry specifically folding problems. He was 20 or 21 when he got his professorship at MIT.
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    Kim Ung-Yong - He finished his university studies, eventually getting a Ph.D in physics at Colorado State University [1] before he was 15. In 1974, during his university studies, he began his research work at NASA[1].

I think this guy wins the 'prodigy race', if what is said of him is true.
  6. Jan 21, 2008 #5
    A child doing Calculus at the age of 3 ... amazing! True? lol, kinda crazy.
  7. Jan 21, 2008 #6
    Calculus at the age of 3? How did his work look? I can't imagine someone that young can even draw an integral sign. I still have trouble with it. :(
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?