Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who, what inspires you

1. Oct 27, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lately, anything or anyone that used to inspire me seems to have let me down.. kinda bummed out right now :)

Soo, I was wondering: who or what is your motivation to ambition?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2003 #2
    Hi,

Quest Of Course

4. Oct 27, 2003 #3
    inspirational quotes

I really like quotes. especially the ones by the infamous Author Unknown. I find inspiration in such quotes as: "Ambition is building a ladder against the sky", and "No one can make you feel inferior without you consent."

I'd post more, but I've gotta go to school soon.:smile:

5. Oct 27, 2003 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I inspire to inspire.

Unfortunately, i'm uninspired to inspire inspiring.

Guess i'll never be inspired.

O well.

6. Oct 27, 2003 #5
    who inspires me?

I would have to say that, aprt from my family, my biggest inspiration comes form the memory of my teachers and from my friends. The problem with that is, they are (or were) some of the most well known scientists, authors, etc. in history. It is easy to compare myself to them and find I am wanting. This I suppose is natural to a degree. We all strive to be all that we can, and often the most severe judge of our success is ourselves.

7. Oct 27, 2003 #6
    Oddly enough one of the things that inspires me the most is something that others may find daunting.

I am frequently inspired by considering how relatively short our time is alive.

When I think about this, I turn off the TV, or whatever else I am doing to waste time, and begin to work on whatever I have been putting off.

I do alot of the type of things that most people think of as requiring inspiration, such as writing and painting. I find the hardest part is putting aside the distractions and just starting. If it's a long term project, make the time to work on it every day. Keep reminding yourself that life is transient, we won't be here forever.

8. Oct 27, 2003 #7
    inspirations

Who? God!
    What? Oxygen!

9. Oct 27, 2003 #8

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

life experiences inspire me, as i try to learn as much as i can from them...

10. Oct 27, 2003 #9
    The Bible inspires me.

11. Oct 27, 2003 #10
    Fresh air and solitude...

12. Oct 27, 2003 #11
    Doing things really. I love learning new things and trying to do them. Whether it is work related, websites, motorcycle racing (my favourite), learning, sport, drinking, playing... whatever.

Life is indeed to short to run out of things to do. If I retired tomorrow (No chance I'm 41) I would rarely have any spare time to get bored in.

I'm with Artman - life is so short. You are a long time dead so find what you like doing and try to do more of it. If you get bored with that, do something else.

If things in your life make you sad, either change them, or cope with them and move on. I've been told by many people that my simplistic approach is 'unrealistic' and that I ought to 'join the real world'. Hey, I'm in it!!!!!!

13. Oct 27, 2003 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I both love to work and study. You kinda loose your zeal though, when you work and work and work, sweet blood and tears, and when all is done, nothing is done with the data. Or you start a master program and after two months you haven't seen a single student and all the courses are delayed :)

Basically not being in control

Sometimes a world can become very small and there is a need to break free..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  14. Oct 27, 2003 #13
    The fear of becoming a failure inspires me.

15. Oct 27, 2003 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Richard Feynman and mango ice cream.

- Warren

16. Oct 27, 2003 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

God.

Questions.

Truth.

Knowledge.

17. Oct 27, 2003 #16

FZ+

Boredom.[zz)]

18. Oct 27, 2003 #17

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I suggest you see the matrix revolutions

19. Oct 28, 2003 #18
    I see what's bugging you: not boredom, but disappointment. All work and no fruition.

Time to do a little extracurricular study of where your efforts are more likely to yield results. Knowing that constitutes a kind of talent unto itself. Unplug from the people for whom beurocracy is a reward unto itself, and get with the people who get stuff done.

20. Oct 28, 2003 #19

Njorl

Science Advisor

I used to be inspired by the great work other people had done. When you are starting out, you set your sites high. You want to be among the greats. There comes a time for most though, when other people's great accomplishments remind them that they are not doing anything earthshaking. What used to inspire now depresses. It's wrong to feel this way. There is plenty of good work that isn't earthshaking. But while you can take pride in this good work, it generally does not inspire.

Njorl

21. Oct 28, 2003 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have very good insight

Yeah, that is basically it, it feels like: why sit down and read all those papers, who will care. And thus rather seeking instant victory, reversi on internet for instance You know, sometimes you work so hard to get things done and when the finished product is just set aside by someone to collect dust, it is kinda frustrating :)

I am about to start on a new research project with a succesfull group of people so I guess I will have my inspiration back in no time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?