Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who will the Republicans choose in '08?

1. John McCain

21.1%
  2. Chuck Hagel

5.3%
  3. Dick Lugar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rudy Guliani

23.7%
  5. Mitt Romney

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bill Frist

2.6%
  7. Newt Gingrich

2.6%
  8. Jeb Bush

23.7%
  9. Condoleezza Rice (Clinton vs. Rice '08?)

7.9%
  10. Other

13.2%
  1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    Just for the sake of taking shots in the dark, why not make some predictions for what'll happen in about 3 year's time?

Should he run, I think (hope) Hagel will win the primary season, but hell, who woulda thought that John Kerry would win the Democratic nomination...

And on the topic, would any of the Republicans here want Frist or Gingrich as the presidential nominee?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2
    I think they will probably pick McCain. Also, what about the governator? lol

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3
    Well, I was thinking McCain might be too old to want to run or for people to want him in office, but hell, Republicans seemed fine with Reagan, and I've heard anecdotal evidence that he had Alzheimers in office.

"The Governator" wasn't born in America, and there's hardly a chance that all the crap that needs to be done for a constitutional ammendment to pass through would pass to allow foreign born people to run for president.

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4
    *sigh* They're all losers.... Cept McCain... McCain kicks ass.... Other might be cool too, but I'll need to read up on him a bit more :p

Oh what the heck, I'll pick Rudy. He probably has more star power than anyone on that list...Cept McCain... McCain kicks ass.

And this is what two nights without sleep does to you. Forgive me.

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They sent _Jeb_ over to Indonesia after the Tsunami.

Fair warning: They're running him in '08

7. Jan 13, 2005 #6
    I read somewhere that Jeb would be a sensible choice, given his brother will need to have many sensitive dossiers kept in the dark.

8. Jan 13, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

Condi Rice? you kidding right. After such a fiasco of 9/11 I dont think she'll ever hold an office again

Edit: I dont see Colin Powell in there. He is a good candidate

9. Jan 13, 2005 #8
    How is it that the Bush family is so presidential?

10. Jan 13, 2005 #9
    :biggrin: A good, thought provoking question.

11. Jan 13, 2005 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Same as the Kennedies. They will pull any dirty trick to get to the White House, and they help each other out. Jeb was essential to Dubya getting in, so the clan owes him. And they'll rally round in '08. The mafia would understand perfectly.

12. Jan 13, 2005 #11
    If you mean that you doubt she'll hold office because 9/11 happened while she was national security advisor, consider the fact that 9/11 happened while George Bush was president, and he got to hold office again. If you're talking about the crap that went on with her and the 9/11 investigation, I don't see that as really affecting her chances to run for President, again, considering that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch and he was re-elected.

Though, the fact that she's a cranky ***** might hurt her...

He's gone from politics forever now, and he's said he will not run for President. There was considerable buzz around him possibly running in '96, but he declined then and has said he wants to just be a normal person now.

13. Jan 13, 2005 #12
    McCain is old and a party traitor (to many, not myself). He's out for 2008.

14. Jan 13, 2005 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hagel, McCain, Giuliani...are you guys kidding me ? There's no way conservatives will vote for a dissenter, a loudmouth or a liberal !

15. Jan 13, 2005 #14
    Jeb might run but I do not see him as being able to win. People can accept two people running for president from the same family (precedent set with Adams, would've been followed by the Kennedys) but if it's three people in a short span of time it sounds way too much like a dynasty. Even if I find I agree with his policies I would not vote for him for this reason; irrational as it might sound. I don't like the precedent it would set.
    I also think people are ignoring George Pataki possibly running in '08. The mere fact that he's the governor of New York is more then enough reason for Republicans to want him to run.

16. Jan 13, 2005 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I voted John McCain, but that's mostly wishful thinking...

17. Jan 13, 2005 #16
    From the perspective of someone who's not a hard-line Republican, not being totally loyal to your party can be a huge advantage. I'd vote for McCain if he ran in '08, and if I'd vote for him, imagine who else would...

18. Jan 13, 2005 #17
    I hope Jeb wouldn't be able to win if he gets the nomination, but you never know...

And about Pataki, he's not that impressive, our Attorney General, Eliot Spitzer, was beating him 50-38 in a hypothetical Governor's race before he even officially announced he'd run for the governorship.

Keep in mind the primary schedule, Iowa, a moderate state goes first, followed by New Hampshire, a very free-thinking and independent state. Plus, Russ Waters wanted McCain, I don't think one would call Russ a liberal...

But hell, maybe I'm putting too much creedence into what voters want and not enough into what the political machine wants. Afterall, who would have thought Conservatives would vote for a former coke-head/alcoholic.

19. Jan 13, 2005 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm hoping for Hagel. I wouldn't exactly categorize Hagel as a dissenter. I think Iraq is kind of a special case - dissent from people like Hagel or Lugar, based on intel, tend to lend credence to the fact that Iraq was a mistake rather than label Hagel or Lugar as dissenters.

McCain would be older than Reagan was, so you can't exactly use Reagan's age as a precedent.

Frist is the most likely alternative to Hagel and I definitely don't like him.

Guliani is still riding momentum from the way he handled 9/11, but I still think he's a long shot for nomination.

Jeb might not be presidential material, but how about his son as the first Hispanic president (Jeb's wife is Hispanic).

20. Jan 13, 2005 #19

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I honestly don't understand how anyone could vote against Giuliani after the absolute renassaince the city of New York went through under his reign. That said, I know he has no chance. The party base wants a preacher, not a leader. I still voted for him.

21. Jan 13, 2005 #20
    I don't know all too much about Hagel, but from what I've heard of him and from him, I think I would categorize him as a dissenter. Unless I misunderstood you, you seem to be using dissenter as a negative word, wheras I think freely voicing dissent is one of the best characteristics a politician can have. Would you rather vote for someone who went along with the party platform, smoothed over differences of opinion with party leadership, over-exagerated positives and denied/under-exagerated negatives, or someone who acknowledged when things were going wrong, said it regardless of who was listening, and helped fight to change them.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?