Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Who Will/Would You Vote For?

Who Will/Would You Vote For?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2012.
  1. Obama -- I'm an American

42.1%
  2. Romney -- I'm an American

21.1%
  3. Obama -- I'm not American

28.9%
  4. Romney -- I'm not American

7.9%
  1. Nov 4, 2012 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think we've had this poll before, but for the day before the election, we should have it again. The poll is structured to separate but include both Americans and non-Americans. The poll for Americans can include people eligible to vote and not eligible to vote, such as those who are not registered, not old enough, and felons. Not Americans would include citizens of other countries, including, for example, an Australian who has lived in the US for decades but is not a citizen.

Poll results are visible.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2
    I'm not voting for Obama but if I thought my state was going to be close I would.

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean you aren't voting or that you're voting for a 3rd party candidate?

5. Nov 4, 2012 #4
    I am voting for a 3rd party.

6. Nov 4, 2012 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm still not sure whether I'm going to vote 3rd party or Obama or not at all. But of the two choices, it would be Obama.

7. Nov 5, 2012 #6
    I'm leaning towards voting 3rd party.

8. Nov 5, 2012 #7
    I'm going to write in Gingrich/Palin and hope for the coming Mayan apocalypse.

9. Nov 5, 2012 #8

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If I were American I'd want to vote 3rd party but for most places that's pretty much a wasted vote so I'd have to vote Obama. The US seems to be a good example of Duverger's law.

10. Nov 5, 2012 #9
  11. Nov 5, 2012 #10
    In the future, I wonder if they will edit the system for conditional votes. i.e. vote for one party in the case that another party does not win.

12. Nov 5, 2012 #11

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I totally agree that it shouldn't be and it makes me sick too (my own country really isn't that much better, it has a third significant party but aside from coalitions [two out of three formed due to war] it's always one of two) but I can't vote on principle when I know it's worth nothing. I'd rather stick with tactical voting to keep out the worst parties and jump on voting reform when it comes.
    You mean a form of IRV? I'd take that over FPTP

13. Nov 5, 2012 #12
    I didn't see any third party candidates that I like. I'm considering fourth party candidates now.

14. Nov 5, 2012 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Pros/cons of voting third party anybody?

Pro: they get more clout, more people to challenge deficiencies that the Republocrat wouldn't bring up.

Con: Throw away as far as election is concerned. Also, still not sure whether I should go Lib or Green.

15. Nov 5, 2012 #14
    Which is worse? To vote for someone you hope will win and see them lose, or to vote for someone you hope will lose and see them win?

16. Nov 5, 2012 #15

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is a presidential election the right place for a third party vote? Would it be better served to vote for them at a more local level in order to build up support?

17. Nov 5, 2012 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Presidential votes, I understood, give them some power despite not winning; but this is hearsay, I've never actually looked into the policies and rules.

There's nothing locally that I know for green here, just lib.

18. Nov 5, 2012 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Anyway, I think political diversity is more important than any one candidate winning.

19. Nov 5, 2012 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Being willing to sacrifice a close election by voting 3rd party is the only way the far right and far left can make the mainstreamers in their party pay attention to them.

At least, that was true before the far right took over the Republican Party. But it's not usually as hard for moderates to defect all the way to the other major party, giving them even more power.

20. Nov 5, 2012 #19
    Obama. Voting for a third party is a bit ridiculous now. I was initially going to vote for Jill Stein, but that would be a waste of time and vote considering she has practically no chance at winning, so Obama will get my vote.

21. Nov 5, 2012 #20

drizzle

Gold Member

I'm interested to know the opinion of that Australian who has lived in the US for decades but is not a citizen.

:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook