Who Will/Would You Vote For?

Who Will/Would You Vote For?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'd say voting for someone you don't really like is a waste of time. Do you think your one single vote has virtually any impact?
Seems like a varient of the tragedy of the commons. One person voting on principle for a candidate that has no chance of winning might not matter but if enough people adopt that idea and think "it's just one vote" you can end up with a spoiler effect.

FYI, I purposely left off 3rd party candidates/options for this poll because there are no major 3rd party candidates in this election. So voting for 3rd party candidates here would be highly unusual.
It might not matter a ton, but I would hardly say it would be unusual. A couple people here, in the small number of people that responded, said they would be willing to, or at least considered voting for 3rd party.

It might not matter a ton, but I would hardly say it would be unusual. A couple people here, in the small number of people that responded, said they would be willing to, or at least considered voting for 3rd party.
It could be important for American politics for Gary Johnson it hit 5% and become a legitimate third party next election.

TheMadMonk
Not an American, I'd vote for Romney. The fringes of the Republican party are all we ever get presented with in the UK, I was surprised to find out that Romney is far more moderate than I first thought.

Is a presidential election the right place for a third party vote? Would it be better served to vote for them at a more local level in order to build up support?
In most of this country, presidential votes are wasted anyway. If I were to vote today, it literally wouldn't matter at all who I voted for for president. Massachusetts is going to Obama by a huge margin. So, why would I waste my vote on Obama when I could give a third party some clout?

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
In most of this country, presidential votes are wasted anyway. If I were to vote today, it literally wouldn't matter at all who I voted for for president. Massachusetts is going to Obama by a huge margin. So, why would I waste my vote on Obama when I could give a third party some clout?
If it is so certain then my criticism in post 26 is less likely to apply, if it is certain. Don't get me wrong I would love it if more modern democracies actually used systems that would allow people to vote for who they want and know that their vote will matter just as much as anyone else's. It's a travesty that many rely on systems that IMO at best give a tainted version of democratic process.

I'm going to write in Gingrich/Palin and hope for the coming Mayan apocalypse.
Along similar reasoning but more reasonable, I'd vote Romney for more significant news stories.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I voted for one independent candidate (for House Rep).

Aside from President, there were no Democratic candidates on the ballot where I live (Colorado Springs) - just Republicans and third party candidates.