Is Predicting the Future Possible and How Would it Affect Our Actions?

• Thread starter Laevus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation delves into the concept of predicting the future and the role of quantum randomness in it. The participants discuss the idea that by knowing the future, one can change it, making predictions invalid. They also touch upon the limitations of prediction and the vast amount of knowledge required for accurate predictions. Additionally, the concept of quantum randomness, which suggests that particles move randomly at a microscopic level, is brought up and debated. The conversation ends with one participant mentioning the possibility of affecting one's surroundings on a larger scale by increasing the ability to consider the outcome of decisions.
Laevus
Know what I figured out(?)...
Since the old days man learned to consider his action...I'ts very evolutionary gaining...
I can easily see how that would evolve into pre-sight already I can see some in myself...(small things like "what will happen today" "maybe this" "oh I was right"...)
Now the evolutionary end to this would be total presight...ie a person good at it will have advantages...
Now the funny thing is if I could calculate the future there would be infinite possible "ways" or "roads" or right out possibilities. Now along a few of those possibilities my hand would be able to move through a desk,a mug would flow through the room a person would self-ignite like magic only physicaly possible.
Ofc those possibilities are highly unlikely, but if one could see a high number of possibilities along some of them possibilities like these would exist.
Then by acting accordingly to one of those futures it could really happen...

Whole idea smells like DUNE, I know but still.

Sorry about spelling...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Er... how would you deal with quantum randomness then?

quantum randomness...to that I say "Blah!"

There real that you can't 100% predict the future is because by knowing the future ahead of time, you can change it, thereby rendering the prediction null. You are a part of the system that you are trying to predict, so the act of prediction changes the system and makes the prediction invalid.

I really need to read more before I post stuff like this...:frown:

I feel a bit out of my league please elaborate on quantum randomness...

But arn't one predicting the future when one are thinking "I shouldn't argue with that guy, he knows more then me". Hadn't one thought(realized) that then one would have went and argued with him...

No, that's not predicting the future, that's making a decision about what to do.

Anyway, it is possible to make hypothethises about what will happen with supporting evidence, but you can never be 100% sure of this. And you definitely cannot be 100% sure of -everything-. The less interaction that you have with something, the more ability you have to make an accurate prediction. But you always have some level of interaction, no matter how minimal. And, even if you didn't, there's still the problem of the staggering, if not infinite amount of knowledge that you would have to use in your prediction, if you want 100% accuracy.

Quantum randomness is the idea that at super-microscopic levels, there is no reason why one particle moves this way or that. It is somehow left to "chance". I do not subscribe to that idea.

Now this is interresting.
considering a decision != predicting you say...
Ive always thought that if you take a number of possible varibles and then make a prediction of what will result you'll get a number of different probabilities, and if you increase the number of varibles considered the outcome will be more probable.(which is what you say I see now)

And I don't mean 100% accuracy I'm saying that if you increase your ability to consider(predict I'm not giving up yet ) the result of your decisions then you would also be able to affect (in a aware way) your surroundings on a longer/larger scale(maybe even to the extreme).

Hmm I'm sure that made little sence...Ah well.

Thank for the heads up on randomness btw :smile:

[edit]
Quantum randomness is the idea that at super-microscopic levels, there is no reason why one particle moves this way or that. It is somehow left to "chance". I do not subscribe to that idea.
But if "chance" is 50/50 then objects wouldn't "do" anything it would cancel itself out no? Hmm that would fit with the idea of a unsymetric universe I quess ...
[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "Whole idea smells like DUNE" concept all about?

The concept of "Whole idea smells like DUNE" refers to the idea that a particular concept, theory, or situation has similarities or connections to the world of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel, Dune. This can include themes of ecology, politics, religion, and power dynamics.

2. Why is Dune often referenced in scientific discussions?

Dune is often referenced in scientific discussions because of its complex and thought-provoking exploration of various scientific concepts. The novel delves into topics such as genetics, ecology, and the human mind, making it a rich source of inspiration and comparison for scientists.

3. How does the "Whole idea smells like DUNE" concept relate to real-world science?

The "Whole idea smells like DUNE" concept relates to real-world science by highlighting the connections between science fiction and real scientific advancements. By drawing parallels between Dune and real-world scientific concepts, scientists can better understand and explore these ideas.

4. Can you give an example of how the "Whole idea smells like DUNE" concept has been applied in scientific research?

One example of the "Whole idea smells like DUNE" concept being applied in scientific research is the study of complex systems and emergent behavior. Dune's exploration of the Fremen society and their relationship with the desert planet Arrakis is often used as a metaphor for understanding complex systems and how they evolve and adapt over time.

5. Is the "Whole idea smells like DUNE" concept limited to just the novel or does it extend to adaptations and spin-offs?

The "Whole idea smells like DUNE" concept can extend to adaptations and spin-offs of the novel, including movies, TV shows, and video games. These adaptations often explore different aspects of the Dune universe and can provide new insights and connections to real-world science.