Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whole Numbers as a Set

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    This question may be a bit elementary and trivial but I am curious.

Throughout my Algebra classes, the definition of whole numbers were inconsistent. First, I was taught that the whole numbers were a subset of real numbers including all natural numbers and zero (non-negative integers), then, I was told that whole numbers included all integers (...-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3...).

Is there a universally accepted definition of the set of whole numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

no, there is not. different authors use the term "whole numbers" to mean different things, and because of this, mathematicians usually don't use this term, preferring:

integers
    non-negative integers
    positive integers

so as to avoid ambiguity.

even the term "natural number" is not consistently used, as some people include 0, but others do not.

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3
    So then, terms such as "whole, natural, and counting" do not tend to appear in textbooks?

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4

Deveno

Science Advisor

on the contrary, they often do. but what sets these are may vary from textbook to textbook (different conventions), there is no "universally used definition".

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Elements of [itex] \mathbb{Z} [/itex] are rather called 'integer' numbers than 'whole' numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook