Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whole prime number

1. Jul 30, 2007 #101
    I think we take the machine analogy too far. Axiomatic systems are meant to provide a set of initial assumptions from which to construct the rest of the building. They are not algorithms, but logical propositions accepted by convention as true (so that all derived statements can be proven true). By themselves, they do not travel in time; our reasonings and explanations do, but only because our talking does.
    I'm getting lost. I thought you said you didn't want the ticks to represent numbers, since there is no way of telling the 5th from the 625th.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. Jul 30, 2007 #102
    order and elements

Yes you are following me. I felt originally that if a system has the two things (elements and order) you could not guarantee the ability to talk of "primality."

But now I am side tracking to a system where order is out the window. I just want a ticking system (unforntunatley, the algorithmic interpretation of step, next step, next step, next step, etc. DOES indeed imply order.

3. Jul 30, 2007 #103
    internal state

Sorry, that term was NOT brought into the discussion by me!

4. Jul 30, 2007 #104

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you want a countably infinite number of elements, but no comparisons between them. Seems like the axiom schema "For each natural number n, there is an element distinct from at least n others" of your counting scheme is what you want. Of course I can't think of a way to use that at all -- not for finding/defining primes, not for counting sheep, not for anything. It's essentially identity calculus.

5. Jul 30, 2007 #105
    stop using

Sure I did not expect that anyone would want to use this system. Given what you just said about the identity calculus my question is can the Peano axiom system be built from the identity calculus?

Lets just say I am interested in decomposing the Peano axioms into building blocks (or feature sets) much like you would decompose some number into a combination of primes.

6. Jul 30, 2007 #106

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

With this system you need an axiom for each number. This is way too much effort. Moreover, how do you define addition? Why does 2+3=5? I don't see that relation anywhere in your system. The definition of addition falls out naturally from the Peano axioms. Multiplication and division fall out naturally from the definition of addition.

In comparison, defining the "numbers"1 recursively (or inductively) requires but three axioms: an axiom stating that "one"2 is a "number", another that no number has "one" as a successor, and a third stating that if x is a "number" then the successor of x is a "number". Recursion/induction is central to mathematics. It is extremely powerful.

Notes:
    1The Peano axioms define the "natural numbers". Using any other naming scheme in conjunction with the Peano axioms generates a set that is isomorphic (identical characteristics and identical behavior) to the natural numbers.

2Modern treatments start with zero rather than one so that addition and multiplication can be easily defined based on the Peano axioms.

7. Jul 30, 2007 #107

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In what sense? Sure, by adding axioms, but in that sense you can build the Peano axioms from nothing -- so one way to build the Peano axioms from identity calculus is to ignore it and add all the normal axioms.

When I say identity calculus, I mean a system with no operation except "=". If you were somehow able to count the number of cows you and I had (the system has no way to count, but if you were given the numbers by proposition or axiom) then you could say that the two were different numbers but no more.

8. Jul 30, 2007 #108
    axiomatic systems

Okay I admit I just threw those numbers out there when I said:

Why do you care that the system has "too much effort"? It is still a valid axiomatic system. I am trying to learn about the process of writing axiomatic systems. I am just trying to learn about the different things I can create with an axiomatic system. Can I create an axiomatic system with infinite axioms? Not in practice but in theory. That is at the far extreme edge of what kind of systems you can create but it is still worth study.

I must ask you then, to define a prime number in terms of addition (using the Peano axiom system). It should be easy for you to do since multiplication and division just "fall out naturally from the definition of addition."

So I have another question: What do you call the process of writing/defining an axiomatic system? For now I will just call it "FORMALIZER 1.0" since I do not know what it is called but I want to pose another question specifically about it:

Is "FORMALIZER 1.0" built using recursion/induction?

9. Jul 30, 2007 #109

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Addition: Seeding the Peano axioms with zero (rather than one), define
    • a+0 = a
    • a+S(b) = S(a+b) for all a,b in N

Multiplication is similar: Define
    • a*0 = a
    • a*S(b) = a*b+a for all a,b in N

Like I told you, recursion is extremely powerful.

10. Jul 30, 2007 #110
    cool

Very cool looking. You just defined addition and multiplication. But how do you define a prime number with addition only?

11. Jul 31, 2007 #111

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice. I'd use different units for addition and multiplication, though. :tongue:

12. Jul 31, 2007 #112

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We've done it already -- there can't be a solution to x + x = y, x + x + x = y, ..., (x-1)y = x. Alternately, define other operations recursively and use them to define it more traditionally.

13. Jul 31, 2007 #113
    without addition

Okay, now this is getting interesting. I need to study the recursive versions a little while. However, I am still left with an important question. If addition is not defined then can you still get numbers? I think someone said earlier that addition is given by default in the Peano system somehow due to the successor function. More generally, can I, using the axiomatic method, define the natural numbers without defining addition?

If yes, then the notion of "prime" is due to the addition or other operations and not the actual number as it lies on the number line. I hope this question makes sense.

Also, Can we talk about "prime" in terms of the metronome system? My guess is "NO". This is interesting because, in my opinion, the number line and the "tick" line of the metronome system are the same thing or same "form".

14. Jul 31, 2007 #114

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's a natural number? Certainly you can define things without defining addition, but could they be considered natural numbers without successors or the ability to add? Once again, philosophy not math. If you have a definition in mind it becomes math again.

I'm not uncomfortable with philosophy, but I know even less of it than I know of math -- I took only a few philosophy courses in college, though I did well in them.

I don't understand your use of the term "metronome system".

15. Jul 31, 2007 #115
    addition is what?

So from your point of view, addition is nested succession? Perhaps you could say that addition is a way to specify a "short-cut" style of succession?

Sorry. Earlier I attempted to switch from "counting system" to "metronome system."

16. Jul 31, 2007 #116

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

17. Jul 31, 2007 #117
    short cutting

Thanks for the extra information. You say you do not think of addition as a shortcut and I can accept your viewpoint. Just for the sake of discussion, don't you think that having defined "addition" is essentially the reason why you do not have to rely upon the "counting" or "metronome" interpretation of what comes out of the Peano system?

Also, for the Peano axioms, surely there is some kind of "counting" or "metronome" feature. The reason I reiterate this idea is because, if you think about it, the successor function is always "counting" or "ticking" from the 1. Multiplication, addition, in this peano system, is always given in terms of a count from the 1 mark. Essentially, there is no short cut in a recursive system because everything is in terms of the successor function (in relation to 1). So, addition is inherent. Fine. But as soon as you "reach" into the system and "tag" something as "addition" then you have created a meta-shortcut which is quite useful for interacting with the system. Addition is a "user" short cut not a system short cut.

18. Jul 31, 2007 #118

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK.

I agree that the system can be seen as using the successor operation underneath, and that's usually the way things are defined. I don't see it as a shortcut at all on the 'user' level, though: as I mentioned the full operation on rational/real/complex/etc. numbers doesn't follow from the successor operator and must be defined differently.

19. Jul 31, 2007 #119
    defining numbers

If the operations are not defined then basically you just have numbers that are defined in terms of their positions in relation to "1"??? Would I be correct in saying this?

If this is the case then, once again, I don't see how a number can be "prime" without definitions of the operations (addition, multiplication, etc.). We have agreed that we can define the numbers with just the successor function and that the numbers are fully defined despite not having operations. I just can't understand how anyone could look at this system and say that some particular number is "prime."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  20. Jul 31, 2007 #120

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not in general, no. It depends on what is given. Unless you're more specific on what is defined rather than what is not, there's not much I can say.

One simple way would be to define primality, or build it directly into one's system. A natural way (to me) to define numbers would be to start with the primes as atoms and define the positive integers as the product of some collection of primes, with equality if and only if the number of each prime was the same. The natural "successor" operation S_p(n) would then increment the count of a single prime by one, i.e. "multiply" the number by that prime. Addition would be a complex relation that would be shown to always have a unique answer only by a theorem as profound as the fundamental theorem of arithmetic is on our system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook