Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whole roots and powers

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1

georg gill

Gold Member

[tex](a^{\frac{1}{2n}}a^{\frac{1}{2n}})^n=(a^{\frac{1}{2n}})^n(a^{\frac{1}{2n}})^n=(a^{\frac{1}{2}}) (a^{\frac{1}{2}})=a=(a^{\frac{1}{n}})^n[/tex]

all above is just done by using that the order of the factors that you multiply does not matter

we have proven that

[tex](a^{\frac{1}{p}}a^{\frac{1}{p}})^n=(a^{\frac{2}{p}})^n[/tex]

for any even number. Try saying that p is a odd number then n is a decimal number and taking the rooth with a number that is not whole does not make sense in a logixal approach of what one can really comprehend. For any even number of p what I did above makes sense. Could someone see an extention of this system. I want to make left side here:

[tex]\sqrt[m]{\underbrace{a^{\frac{1}{n}} \, \cdot \, a^{\frac{1}{n}} \, \cdot \, . . . \, \cdot a^{\frac{1}{n}} \, }_{\text{m times}} \, }=a^{\frac{m}{n}} [/tex]

to become right side by only using roths and powers of integers.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Certainly [itex]a^{1/2n}a^{1/2n}= a^{1/2n+ 1/2n}= a^{2/2n}= a^{1/n}[/itex].

And [itex]\left(a^{1/n}\right)^m= a^{(1/n)m}= a^{m/n}[/itex]. Those are well known properties of the exponentials.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. Nov 28, 2011 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you know what Dedekind cuts are, the PlanetMath page http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ProofOfPropertiesOfTheExponential.html [Broken] does a nice job of extending exponentiation from the integers to the rationals, and then to the reals.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

georg gill

Gold Member

As far as I can see or from what I get from the proof at least

[tex](xy)^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}=(y)^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}(x)^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

I want to prove that

[tex](xy)^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}=y)^{\frac{m}{n}}x^{\frac{m}{n}}[/tex]

What I have managed to show is that

[tex](xy^{\frac{1}{np}})^{np}[/tex]

[tex](a^{\frac{1}{np}})^{np}=a[/tex]

[tex]((a^{\frac{1}{n}})^{\frac{1}{p}})^{np}=(((a^{\frac{1}{n}})^{\frac{1}{p}})^n)^p[/tex]

since n and p are integers to put p outside as own power goues without proving (could of course prove this
    and we get

[tex]((a^{\frac{1}{n}})^{\frac{1}{p}})^{np}=(((a^{\frac{1}{n}})^{\frac{1}{p}})^n)^p=a[/tex]

so

[tex]xy^{\frac{1}{np}}=(a^{\frac{1}{n}})^{\frac{1}{p}}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook