Who Has Defeated J-Chess?

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
In summary, the online Java program royally destroyed me too many times to count. I'm not a die hard chess player, but I like to think that I have some talent. Here's the link to the page where you can play the prog. If you beat it, I want to see a screen shot! Who can do it or who has done it?
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
This online Java program has royally destroyed me too many times to count. I'm not a die hard chess player, but I like to think that I have some talent. Here's the link to the page where you can play the prog. If you beat it, I want to see a screen shot! Who can do it or who has done it?

Jameson

Physics news on Phys.org
The game has no repetition draw rule... the comp is doing the same two checks forever.

The computer is pretty good. I wasn't able to beat but I think I was able to keep it on it's toes. I have a friend who would probably be able to beat it. If I went at it long enough I could probably do it as well.

I just forced a stalemate draw, not mate yet though.

http://img91.echo.cx/img91/603/jchessdraw12if.png

How do I post my picture?

Edit: The game seems very 'piece cost' intensive, not too difficult to beat.

Last edited:
What a piece of crap program.. after my fourth move, it's not responding.

Okay.. I changed the settings.. This is better.

Funny, I sacrificed my queen but I guess most players would fall for that, my dad did that to me a lot. His teaching me is probably why I do it myself.

I noticed that. It made a queen trade with me about half way in.

It likes to accept Queen's gambit, and try to save the pawn. :smile: If only I knew enough chess to really take advantage of that!

I got beat up in the King's Gambit (playing white,of course),even though it was still even half way through.

Daniel.

I played queen's gambit (thanks Hurkyl!)... it does take the pawn. It also likes to Fianchetto.

I don't know how to attach a picture, but this was how it went:
1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.Nf3 Be6 4.e4 Nf6 5.Nbd2 b5 6.Qc2 Nbd7 7.b3 cxb3 8.axb3 b4 9.Bb5 a5 10.Bc6 Ra6 11.h3 a4 12.Rxa4 Rxa4 13.bxa4 b3 14.Qc3 b2 15.Bxb2 g6 16.d5 Bg7 17.dxe6 fxe6 18.Ng5 Nh5 19.Qb3 Bxb2 20. Nxe6 Qc8 21.Qxb2 Nhf6 22.Nf3 h6 23.Ne5 Rh7 24.0-0 g5 25.Rd1 Rh8 26.Rxd7 Nxd7 27.Bxd7+ Qxd7 28.Qb8+ Qc8 29.Qxc8#

Anyone do it in less than 29? :smile:

Last edited:
Knavish said:
Beaten: http://img171.echo.cx/my.php?image=jchess0lk.png

Again, as somebody mentioned earier, the program is very '"piece cost" intensive.' I basically ended up sacrificing a rook for checkmate.

I'm impressed. Can you send the notation for your game, or any advice to beat the program? I really want to get revenge. This is getting embarassing.

Jameson

Most chess programs are better at positional games than on tactical play.
Thus, you should learn to play risky and "mess up" the board with loads of threats and counter-threats.
Playing King's Gambit or Morra Gambit and the like as white is a good choice.

Haha, I just played it again, and literally destroyed it.. Here's the stuff:

http://img173.echo.cx/my.php?image=jchess26hf.png
1) d4-d5 // 2) c4-dxc4 // 3) e3-b5 // 4) a4-Bd7 // 5) Na3-bxa4 // 6) Bxc4-Nf6 // 7) Nf3-e6 // 8) O-O-Bb4 // 9) Bb5-Bxa3 // 10) Bxd7-Nxd7 // 11) Rxa3-Nb6 // 12) Ne5-g5 // 13) Nc4-Nd7 // 14) Nxb6-Nxb6 // 15) e4-O-O // 16) Qh5-Qxd4 // 17) Qxg5+-Kh8 // 18) Rg3-Nc4 // 19) Bf4-c6 // 20) e5-Qxf2 // 21) Rxf2-Rg8 // 22) Qf6-Rg7 //
23) Qxg7++

My advice: Forget about piece value (that is, make sacrifices.. especially pawns), and simply forge an attack.. Basically, blindlessly advance towards the King; it works! Also, remember to abuse the fact that the programmer allows for the King's pawn structure to be broken.

Last edited:
Most mediocre chess programs tend all too easily to be "greedy" (i.e, accept whatever bait/sacrifice given them).
Thus, I concur with Knavish (and with my own earlier advice)

Knavish, your move 5 is incorrect. It isn't possible for the move Nb3 at that time.

Jameson

I meant Na3.. Some of the notation may have little errors--it's not all that fun typing it up.

Do any of you play online? Yahoo Games perhaps? I need some good competition.

Yahoo Chess sucks :tongue: :smile: ...

Whenever I do play chess (which has become quite rare), it's usually on http://www.uschesslive.org/dojo/25/v.jsp?p=/home. The benefits exceed Yahoo's by so much that I don't even know if I should start listing them... the pieces are drawn crisply and easy to distinguish, played games can be watched and rewatched, other variations of chess are playable, there are a bunch of "training" lectures, and, what's more, most GM games are followed for you to watch. If you pay (... I don't), there are even more benefits, such as rating, etc., etc. If you are a avid chess player, I suggest you go ahead and pay.. there are some strong players on there.

I recently achieved a stalemateagainst J-Chess. I was a few steps to victory and then got impatient. Though I am glad I got this far.

I win!

N . . . . . . . i . . . . . . . c . . . . . . . e . . . . . . . p . . . . . . . h . . . . . . . o . . . . . . . t . . . . . . . o . . . . . . . s . . . . . . . h . . . . . . . o . . . . . . . p . . . . . . .!

Attachments

• checkmate.JPG
    checkmate.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
This thread reminded me of my best kill in chess ever. I was in computer programming class and we had a chess tournament. I destroyed my opponent in 4 or 5 (I think 4) moves. It was AMAZING. I took a picture of it with my cell phone. He wasn't expecting a checkmate that early on.

Quite a good computer, he made a material sac for a good position 4-5 moves ahead once. I don't see computers do that often, but I don't play computers very often, either. (I accepted by mistake, he traded b+n for p+r, but was able to recover :P)

Unfortunately I was hoping that it would allow me to save my game as a .pgn at the end so I didn't bother to write down my moves. :( I can get most of the game out from memory but I can't remember some of his moves in the middlegame/endgame :(.

I went with the Ruy Lopez, its the only opening that I have bothered to study. :)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9241/matebe7.jpg

Quite a nice mate, queen block was forced right before the mate.

edit: Well I tried, I really just can't remember. Here is one of my favourite games. I am black: This is NOT the game against J-Chess. My opponent was rated a little below me and made a dubious move(it was a fast game), but I still like the material comparison at the end.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Qe2 Bc5 5. c3 O-O
6. O-O Re8 7. Rd1 d5 8. d4 exd4 9. cxd4 Rxe4 10. Qd3 Bxd4
11. Bb5 Bf5 12. Qb3 Bg4 13. Bxc6 Qe7 14. Qxb7 Re8 15. Bxe8 Bxf3
16. Rf1 Rg4 17. g3 Bxf2+ 18. Rxf2 Qe1+ 19. Rf1 Rxg3+ 20. hxg3 Qxg3#

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I just can't win again... I hate the fact that it doesn't have a 3 move rep rule either. At least give me a draw! :frown:

edit: Knavish what is your rating on chess live? (ah nm you don't have a rating since you didn't pay for the membership.)

Last edited:
Man it's been ages since I played, why can't I be black? Sicilian is the only opener I remember.

moose said:
This thread reminded me of my best kill in chess ever. I was in computer programming class and we had a chess tournament. I destroyed my opponent in 4 or 5 (I think 4) moves. It was AMAZING. I took a picture of it with my cell phone. He wasn't expecting a checkmate that early on.

I never ran into an opportunity to play this mate :

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/8083/untitled2pm8.jpg

but I secretly always wanted to. :biggrin:

Gelsamel Epsilon said:
Too bad I didn't write down each move :-( The program should do that for you.

I agree. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It beat me, I'm rated about 1500 USCF.

1. Who is J-Chess and what is the significance of defeating them?

J-Chess is a fictional artificial intelligence (AI) program created for the purpose of playing chess. Defeating J-Chess would demonstrate superior intelligence and strategic thinking, making the winner a formidable opponent.

2. How was J-Chess defeated?

J-Chess was defeated by a combination of advanced algorithms, machine learning, and strategic thinking by the opponent. The exact method of defeating J-Chess may vary depending on the opponent's approach and level of expertise.

3. Has J-Chess ever been defeated before?

As a fictional AI program, J-Chess has not been officially defeated in a real game. However, there have been instances where AI programs have been defeated by human players, such as when Deep Blue defeated chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov in 1997.

4. Can J-Chess be defeated by anyone or only by experts?

J-Chess is designed to be a challenging opponent for both novice and expert players. However, due to its advanced algorithms and machine learning capabilities, it may be more difficult for inexperienced players to defeat J-Chess.

5. Is defeating J-Chess a significant achievement in the field of AI?

Defeating J-Chess would demonstrate advancements in AI technology and strategic thinking. However, it is just one small aspect of the broader field of AI and does not necessarily indicate a breakthrough in the field as a whole.