Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's counting?

1. May 20, 2003 #1
    What's the significance of post counts?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2003 #2
    Intimidation factor and name recognition?

4. May 20, 2003 #3
    Prevalence.

5. May 20, 2003 #4

FZ+

It's like someone's age. (physical, not mental)

You count it because you think it makes you all big and important.
    Everyone else counts it because they remember that each time the number increases, you are one closer to your last. :wink:

6. May 20, 2003 #5
    me. i don't respond to anyone with less than 100 posts.

edit: gnome - 37 posts, doh! :wink:

7. May 20, 2003 #6
    Trust me, it can become a burden...I speak from bitter experience!

8. May 21, 2003 #7
    It let's you know who has been around, who to trust as the most likely correct answer. It can be deceiving, as some ignore newbie posts. We all started with 0 posts at sometime though.

I agree that there is a level of imtimidation, if I'm debating with a guy that has 600 posts I'm much more likely to back down before he does.

9. May 21, 2003 #8
    Oh yeah...

How about a guy with slightly over 500, would, say, a guy like that have any chance of getting some respect?

10. May 21, 2003 #9
    Maybe the guy just likes to hear himself talk.

=================================================

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count..." - A. Einstein

11. May 21, 2003 #10
    Maybe, but you haven't said what you think about them. Have you formed an opinion yet?

12. May 21, 2003 #11
    Hmmm...
    I really hadn't paid much attention to post counts until Greg's announcement came along. Now that you've made me think about them (and do some searching into the posts that generate them), I still won't be paying much attention to them. First of all, I can't see any correlation between the number of times a member has posted and the reliability of what he or she has to say. Moreover, the number times a member has posted on another topic, in another forum, is likely to be completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. For example, if I ask a question about how to solve a particular physics problem, and elicit two contradictory replies, should I automatically accept the answer of the one with the higher post count? What if it turns out that many of the posts contributing to his count were similar to these

just to pick a few examples at random. :wink:Does that tell me anything about how much he knows about Lorentz transformations?

Not really (even though he may actually know quite a lot about them). My point is just that the count tells me nothing except how much spare time that person has to spend in the forum.

13. May 21, 2003 #12
    The purpose of the post count is not an ego trip, as people are making it out to look. It's purpose is to determine the amount of contribution that one has made to the PFs.

14. May 21, 2003 #13
    Congratulations, I believe we are on the same wavelength then; understanding that post counts have no real worth at all, only imagined worth. In a forum as broad as PF I don't see any use in having them at all.

So glad I could be of help

15. May 21, 2003 #14
    Re: Oh yeah...

Who needs respect because of post count when you have an eye under your name? You look over there to see the post count to see if this guy is worth listening to and you got that EYE staring at you! It's like the all-knowing eye of a mother

Haha, very true!

16. May 21, 2003 #15

dav2008

Gold Member

Re: Re: Oh yeah...

/me First spamme..errr poster to reach 2000 posts in PF 1.0!

17. May 22, 2003 #16
    I would support getting rid of post counts alltogether.

If they are not used in general discussion, then why at all?

Either bring back general discussion into post counts or get rid of them as I see it as an equal forum to others.

All we really need is the join date.

18. May 22, 2003 #17

dav2008

Gold Member

Well, the thing is...the post counter was removed from General so people couldnt brag about having thousands of posts when only 10 or 20 were in the science forums...

19. May 22, 2003 #18
    Maybe if they brag Greg could set them back to 1

20. May 22, 2003 #19

FZ+

Er... *cough*...:wink:

Not that I am exactly succint myself....

Sorry...

21. May 22, 2003 #20
    All is ego

What I look for is a familiar name. If the name is not familiar I look to the post count to see if they are a new member. If they are new I make an attempt to welcome them.

So, maybe I was wrong, there might be some value that I have found in post counts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?