Moving Beyond the Race Card: Examining the Role of Race in Politics and Society

• News
  • Thread starter seycyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of race in the political campaigns and how it may be used as a tactic to create fear and shift the focus away from important issues. The guests on CNN warned of the GOP playing the "race card" but could not provide evidence of it happening. It was also discussed whether it was the GOP or the Democrats who were truly playing the race card. The conversation also touched on the issue of race and how it is defined in the United States, with examples such as Tiger Woods and Halle Berry being referenced. In the end, it was concluded that race will continue to be a complex and important issue in politics.
seycyrus
Watching CNN over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed several guests *warning* the audience that the GOP will play the "race card" in an effort to create fear amongst their constituents. These guests offered no evidence of the McCain campaign having done so yet, and cannot point to any specific point on which the issue will be raised in the future.

The question is, of course, *Which campaign is REALLY playing the race card?"

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine anyone in the GOP "playing the race card", it can only hurt their image. Obviously people don't need to be told that Obama is black, if that is an issue for them. :rolleyes:

He's black??

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought he comes from a white mother and black father. Does this mean that anyone with one black parent is called or considered black?

OAQfirst said:
I thought he comes from a white mother and black father. Does this mean that anyone with one black parent is called or considered black?
Yes, they can consider themselves black. Obama considers himself black. Halle Berry's mother is white and she considers herself black. Many "black" people in the US are part white.

Quite clearly, the one who is constantly talking about race is the one who is "playing the race card". This is an attempt to issue-shift.

Also, as Evo pointed out, McCain has no "race card" to play!

I don't know, McCain can run an ad saying Obama has an illegitimate black child. It would be half right.

OAQfirst said:

Do you know who Tiger Woods is? He's a mix of many different ethnicities and races, yet people simply refer to him as "black". This goes way back in US history to the time of slavery and white vs. black rights. You were considered "black" when you had even 1/8th black heritage in you.

It also has to do with appearance, if you look black, it would be hard to convince someone to call you white. There are some black and white mixed that do look white, they could claim either. I dated a guy whose mother was Japanese, he did not look asian at all, but his brother and sister definitely looked asian. He claimed "white". He also considered himself Irish because his dad was Irish.

Wait a minute, so Halle Berry's mother is 100% Caucasian, but she considers herself black?

B. Elliott said:
Wait a minute, so Halle Berry's mother is 100% Caucasian, but she considers herself black?
Yes, you didn't see her horrendously embarrassing Oscar acceptance speech about being the first black woman to get an Oscar? (the embarrassing part was how long and bad her speech was) Her mother is a blond white woman.

Evo said:
Yes, you didn't see her horrendously embarrassing Oscar acceptance speech about being the first black woman to get an Oscar? (the embarrassing part was how long and bad her speech was) Her mother is a blond white woman.

I never even heard of that happening. That's hilarious. People who believe that they can pick and choose their ethnic orientation kill me. No so much situations like with the guy you dated, but people who believe they can completely drop their ethnic ties in favor of another. I literally can't see a greater definition of racism than that... denouncing ones self.

B. Elliott said:
I never even heard of that happening. That's hilarious. People who believe that they can pick and choose their ethnic orientation kill me. No so much situations like with the guy you dated, but people who believe they can completely drop their ethnic ties in favor of another. I literally can't see a greater definition of racism than that... denouncing ones self.
It was rather funny because they kept panning the camera to her mother sitting in the audience. The US Census does not have a classification for white/black, they only have a "more than one race" category for that. So, I guess Obama could be the "more than one race" candidate.

How about the militant Muslim candidate? Would that be a "race card"? 'Cause the GOP has played that one before.

Gokul43201 said:
How about the militant Muslim candidate? Would that be a "race card"? 'Cause the GOP has played that one before.
Well, technically, no. Who in the GOP was responsible for that?

seycyrus said:
Watching CNN over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed several guests *warning* the audience that the GOP will play the "race card" in an effort to create fear amongst their constituents. These guests offered no evidence of the McCain campaign having done so yet, and cannot point to any specific point on which the issue will be raised in the future.

The question is, of course, *Which campaign is REALLY playing the race card?"

From Savage Country:
Obama will make appointments such as: Al Sharpton as Secretary of Labor, and Jessie Jackson as Supreme Court Judge

Fear Obama! Fear what he will do!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=233824

It's not the GOP formal that will do it.

As LBJ predicted, signing the Civil Rights Act in 1964 gave the the South to the Republicans for 44 years.

Race is going to make an interesting issue in this election. A lot of people have preconceived ideas. If nothing else I think that in the long run the race card may play itself.

Evo said:
It was rather funny because they kept panning the camera to her mother sitting in the audience. The US Census does not have a classification for white/black, they only have a "more than one race" category for that. So, I guess Obama could be the "more than one race" candidate.

What I think will be interesting is how race will be handled 200+ years from now. With the US being a melting pot, how much longer will 'purebred' races really be around? Seems like after enough time passes, any 'purebred' race will eventually become the new minority.

In 200 years, I doubt that race as we know it today will exist.

I am an example of this. I have so many different heritages that it is hard to keep them straight. Recently I tried to name them all and forgot that I am part Polish. My greatgrandmother was Polish.

Generally speaking, I think the only "pure-bloods" left in the world are the Norwegians. This is why they are studied carefully by geneticists and people in related fields.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Well, technically, no. Who in the GOP was responsible for that?
The Tennessee Republican Party, for one.

http://www.wrmea.com/archives/May-June_2008/0805047.html
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/02/tennessee_gop_edits_somali_gar.php

B. Elliott said:

I think you're confusing ethnicity with race.

Race is a classification of humans based on phyisical traits that are determined by genetics; ethnicity is classification of humans based on cultural affiliation. So yes, people can and do choose their ethnicity - happens all the time and it's not at all racist. America is full of immigrants who came here and assimilated into the American culture. (We don't think of American culture as an "ethnicity," but we don't think we speak with an accent, either.)

For example, "Hispanic" is an ethnicity, but there are Hispanics of many, many races.

If Halle Barry was raised in the Black culture it's her perogative to choose to "be" ethnically Black.

A while back when there was a question (largely posed by the media) of "Is Obama black enough?" He responded with something along the lines of, "When I try to get a cab in Chicago and none will stop for me for no apparent reason, I certainly feel black enough."

B. Elliott said:
Race is a social construct. Historically, race in America was determined by the "one drop rule," which meant that anyone with any black ancestry was considered black. Culturally, this is still the case today, and so it's not really a matter of someone "choosing" their race. Almost every African-American descended from slaves has a substantial number of white ancestors.

Gokul43201 said:
The Tennessee Republican Party, for one.

http://www.wrmea.com/archives/May-June_2008/0805047.html
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/02/tennessee_gop_edits_somali_gar.php
The picture of him in the robe and turban was everywhere in the press.

The RNC has come down on the nutty Tennesse party, which has no ties to McCain.

McCain spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker noted that her candidate condemned the press release and apologized to Obama. It was the second time he had to do so in as many days.

"There will be times in this campaign where people do and say stupid things," Hazelbaker said. "It's a fact and it's beyond our control."

"We will continue to condemn [such comments] in the strongest language possible and reitterate our commitment to running a positive campaign based on the issues."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0208/RNC_warns_Tenn_GOP_on_Hussein.html

Oh I remember that.

McCain: "You guys cut that out. I want a clean campaign here."
GOPs: "Who are you?"

Evo said:
The picture of him in the robe and turban was everywhere in the press.
But while the press correctly described it as tribal Somali garb, the Tennessee RNC decided to call it "muslim garb" (which it wasn't). And then there was the obvious use of the "Hussein" card.

The RNC has come down on the nutty Tennesse party, which has no ties to McCain.
Looks more like a clever game of Good Cop, Bad Cop. From your link:
"If they don't refrain from doing so again, they will be publicly repudiated by the Republican National Committee."

This source said the national committee did not ask the Tennessee party to retract their statement, but effectively put them on notice for the future.
So, the RNC didn't actually punish the Tennessee GOP in any way, nor did they even insist on a retraction.

Besides, the OP appears to conflate the GOP with the McCain campaign.
seycyrus said:
...I have noticed several guests *warning* the audience that the GOP will play the "race card" in an effort to create fear amongst their constituents. These guests offered no evidence of the McCain campaign having done so yet...
GOP [itex]\neq[/itex] McCain Campaign. The Tennessee Republican Party, however, is a part of the GOP.

The OP is based on a misstated argument.

Last edited:
lisab said:
I think you're confusing ethnicity with race.

Race is a classification of humans based on phyisical traits that are determined by genetics; ethnicity is classification of humans based on cultural affiliation. So yes, people can and do choose their ethnicity - happens all the time and it's not at all racist. America is full of immigrants who came here and assimilated into the American culture. (We don't think of American culture as an "ethnicity," but we don't think we speak with an accent, either.)

For example, "Hispanic" is an ethnicity, but there are Hispanics of many, many races.

If Halle Barry was raised in the Black culture it's her perogative to choose to "be" ethnically Black.

A while back when there was a question (largely posed by the media) of "Is Obama black enough?" He responded with something along the lines of, "When I try to get a cab in Chicago and none will stop for me for no apparent reason, I certainly feel black enough."

I see your point. I was just thinking that ethnicity involved more background than what one just chooses at the time. More history involved. I was just thinking that it's ridiculous that one can choose to erase their own history history and adopt another.

Than again, I've never been one to draw lines in the sand with race and cultural differences, so I can see how I made the mistake.:tongue:

lisab said:

"Black" is a matter of the colour of one's skin. If Halle Barry had white skin the closest to black she would be excepted as would be 'high yellow'.

Gokul43201 said:
But while the press correctly described it as tribal Somali garb, the Tennessee RNC decided to call it "muslim garb" (which it wasn't). And then there was the obvious use of the "Hussein" card.

Looks more like a clever game of Good Cop, Bad Cop. From your link:So, the RNC didn't actually punish the Tennessee GOP in any way, nor did they even insist on a retraction.
It's one of those things, how do you retract them posting Obama's name? Of course the Tennessee Repubican party knew it would confuse people and had bad intentions, but what is the RNC supposed to have them retract?

The Tennessee Republican website has a really dispicable (IMHO) campaign against Obama's wife. I'm surprised that they have not been reprimanded for that. (at least not that I am aware of)

This is stooping to an incredible low. They are truly an embarrassment to the GOP.

http://www.tngop.org/wordpress/2008/05/15/video-welcomes-michelle-obama-to-nashville/

In the case of Black vs White, which is radically different from other classifications in the US because it remains literally a life-and-death issue for many, it is the combination of how I regard myself and how others regard me. My grandfather, for example was Black in 1918 at his marriage and White in the 1920 census. He did not change complexion at all; the bar for "passing" was lowered in 1920s Virginia. Most Americans regard Halle Barry as Black, she regards herself as Black, so she is Black, no matter her skin color.

This is a point that is quite puzzling to most Whites, not because they're insensitive or racist, but because they have no similar experience to use as reference. Many older Jews do grasp the point and that, I think, tends to make them sympathetic to Civil Rights issues. Unlike the prejudices against Irish or Polish, this prejudice still can be a life threatening issue. Blacks have not been enslaved since the 1960s and not routinely subject to murder since the 1970s, but the memories (as well as a few vestiges) remain.

B. Elliott said:
I never even heard of that happening. That's hilarious. People who believe that they can pick and choose their ethnic orientation kill me.
Just to be clear, Tiger Woods is not that type of person. People were labeling him for the publicity factor (the PGA and the media loved it - it made for a great story), but he's dead-set against being labeled as black or african american because it means ignoring half his racial heritage. People like him may help move us into a post-racial era.

Obama could have done that, but aparently, he identifies himself with being black. But perhaps that's just about the political capital. It allows him to play the race card. That's why I don't like the way he plays it - he has a chance to be above race and he isn't doing it. He says he is, but he's not.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Just to be clear, Tiger Woods is not that type of person. People were labeling him for the publicity factor (the PGA and the media loved it - it made for a great story), but he's dead-set against being labeled as black or african american because it means ignoring half his racial heritage. People like him may help move us into a post-racial era.

Obama could have done that, but aparently, he identifies himself with being black. But perhaps that's just about the political capital. It allows him to play the race card. That's why I don't like the way he plays it - he has a chance to be above race and he isn't doing it.
Tiger Woods, a sportsman, is not charged with having to fix the socio-political system. He can play his golf and not have a thing to do with the issue of race. Obama is a statesman and is charged with this responsibility. And you don't fix a problem by ignoring it.

Gokul43201 said:
Tiger Woods, a sportsman, is not charged with having to fix the socio-political system.
Yeah, Gokul, he is. He's that big. Here's a 1997 article calling him the Jackie Robinson of golf: http://www.golf.com/golf/special/article/0,28136,1716690,00.html

Jackie Robinson was a real ambassador. He was a leader in changing the American cultural/political landscape. Tiger Woods was charged with the same responsibility - and by rejecting the charge, he actually pushed ahead two steps. Beyond race. No one talks about Tiger's race anymore because he convinced us race is irrelevant. Obama has that opportunity, and he's not taking it. He's taking us back to the '60s, not forward to the 21st century.
He can play his golf and not have a thing to do with the issue of race.
You must not have watched much of his early career. It was a very big deal.
Obama is a statesman and is charged with this responsibility.
But it is up to him to decide how to deal with it. In my opinion, the best way to deal with the problem is to be above it - beyond it. You should talk to a preschool teacher in an ethnicly diverse area. It's pretty amazing how the concept of race has no meaning whatsoever to those kids. Racism is something that is taught and you can't defeat it by labeling and separating people. The attitudes of the liberal side do not help get rid of it, they only stir the pot.
And you don't fix a problem by ignoring it.
Do you fix the problem by exploiting it?

russ_watters said:
Yeah, Gokul, he is. He's that big. Here's a 1997 article calling him the Jackie Robinson of golf: http://www.golf.com/golf/special/article/0,28136,1716690,00.html You must not have watched much of his early career. It was a very big deal.
I did watch much of his early career and remember all the commentary about his race including those that said he wasn't "really a brother". But Woods can not pass legislation to help devastated communities. And his success is not even indirectly linked to whether or not people are racist. When you are a politician that is elected on the basis of people's opinions of things like your race, your success in your career is directly tied to your racial identity. There's a difference between being a sportsman and being an elected representative of the people.

Do you fix the problem by exploiting it?
No, you don't. But then, I don't think he can fix the problem until he becomes President (if that happens). Can you explain the nature of exploitation that Obama has practiced?

russ_watters said:
Tiger Woods was charged with the same responsibility - and by rejecting the charge, he actually pushed ahead two steps. Beyond race. No one talks about Tiger's race anymore because he convinced us race is irrelevant. Obama has that opportunity, and he's not taking it. He's taking us back to the '60s, not forward to the 21st century. You must not have watched much of his early career. It was a very big deal. But it is up to him to decide how to deal with it. In my opinion, the best way to deal with the problem is to be above it - beyond it. You should talk to a preschool teacher in an ethnicly diverse area. It's pretty amazing how the concept of race has no meaning whatsoever to those kids. Racism is something that is taught and you can't defeat it by labeling and separating people. The attitudes of the liberal side do not help get rid of it, they only stir the pot. Do you fix the problem by exploiting it?

Very well said.

1. What is the "race card" and how is it used in politics and society?

The "race card" refers to the use of race or racial issues as a political or social tactic to gain advantage or deflect criticism. This can include making accusations of racism or using race as a means to divide or mobilize voters.

2. How does race impact political systems and decision-making processes?

Race can have a significant impact on political systems and decision-making processes. It can influence voter behavior, candidate selection, and policy priorities. Additionally, systemic racism and discrimination can create barriers for marginalized communities to fully participate in the political process.

3. What are some examples of how race has been used in politics and society?

Examples of how race has been used in politics and society include gerrymandering to manipulate voting districts, voter suppression tactics targeting minority communities, and the use of racially-charged language to sway public opinion. In society, race has been used to justify discriminatory policies and practices, perpetuate stereotypes, and maintain power imbalances.

4. How can we move beyond the race card and promote more equitable and inclusive politics and society?

Moving beyond the race card requires acknowledging and addressing systemic racism and discrimination. This can include implementing policies and practices that promote diversity and inclusion, educating ourselves and others about the impacts of racism, and actively working towards dismantling oppressive systems.

5. What role do scientists play in examining the role of race in politics and society?

Scientists have an important role to play in examining the role of race in politics and society. Through research and analysis, scientists can provide evidence-based insights into the impacts of race on various aspects of our society. They can also help to identify and address systemic issues and inform policies and practices that promote equity and justice.