Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's playing the race card?

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    Watching CNN over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed several guests *warning* the audience that the GOP will play the "race card" in an effort to create fear amongst their constituents. These guests offered no evidence of the McCain campaign having done so yet, and cannot point to any specific point on which the issue will be raised in the future.

The question is, of course, *Which campaign is REALLY playing the race card?"

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I can't imagine anyone in the GOP "playing the race card", it can only hurt their image. Obviously people don't need to be told that Obama is black, if that is an issue for them. :rolleyes:

4. Jun 21, 2008 #3
    He's black!?!?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jun 21, 2008 #4
    I thought he comes from a white mother and black father. Does this mean that anyone with one black parent is called or considered black?

6. Jun 21, 2008 #5

Evo

Yes, they can consider themselves black. Obama considers himself black. Halle Berry's mother is white and she considers herself black. Many "black" people in the US are part white.

7. Jun 21, 2008 #6

russ_watters

Quite clearly, the one who is constantly talking about race is the one who is "playing the race card". This is an attempt to issue-shift.

Also, as Evo pointed out, McCain has no "race card" to play!

8. Jun 21, 2008 #7
    I don't know, McCain can run an ad saying Obama has an illegitimate black child. It would be half right.

Do you know who Tiger Woods is? He's a mix of many different ethnicities and races, yet people simply refer to him as "black". This goes way back in US history to the time of slavery and white vs. black rights. You were considered "black" when you had even 1/8th black heritage in you.

9. Jun 21, 2008 #8

Evo

It also has to do with appearance, if you look black, it would be hard to convince someone to call you white. There are some black and white mixed that do look white, they could claim either. I dated a guy whose mother was Japanese, he did not look asian at all, but his brother and sister definitely looked asian. He claimed "white". He also considered himself Irish because his dad was Irish.

10. Jun 21, 2008 #9
    Wait a minute, so Halle Berry's mother is 100% Caucasian, but she considers herself black?

11. Jun 21, 2008 #10

Evo

Yes, you didn't see her horrendously embarrassing Oscar acceptance speech about being the first black woman to get an Oscar? (the embarrassing part was how long and bad her speech was) Her mother is a blond white woman.

12. Jun 21, 2008 #11
    I never even heard of that happening. That's hilarious. People who believe that they can pick and choose their ethnic orientation kill me. No so much situations like with the guy you dated, but people who believe they can completely drop their ethnic ties in favor of another. I literally can't see a greater definition of racism than that... denouncing ones self.

13. Jun 21, 2008 #12

Evo

It was rather funny because they kept panning the camera to her mother sitting in the audience. The US Census does not have a classification for white/black, they only have a "more than one race" category for that. So, I guess Obama could be the "more than one race" candidate.

14. Jun 21, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about the militant Muslim candidate? Would that be a "race card"? 'Cause the GOP has played that one before.

15. Jun 21, 2008 #14

Evo

Well, technically, no. Who in the GOP was responsible for that?

16. Jun 21, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From Savage Country:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=233824

It's not the GOP formal that will do it.

As LBJ predicted, signing the Civil Rights Act in 1964 gave the the South to the Republicans for 44 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  17. Jun 21, 2008 #16
    Race is going to make an interesting issue in this election. A lot of people have preconceived ideas. If nothing else I think that in the long run the race card may play itself.

18. Jun 21, 2008 #17
    What I think will be interesting is how race will be handled 200+ years from now. With the US being a melting pot, how much longer will 'purebred' races really be around? Seems like after enough time passes, any 'purebred' race will eventually become the new minority.

19. Jun 21, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In 200 years, I doubt that race as we know it today will exist.

I am an example of this. I have so many different heritages that it is hard to keep them straight. Recently I tried to name them all and forgot that I am part Polish. My greatgrandmother was Polish.

Generally speaking, I think the only "pure-bloods" left in the world are the Norwegians. This is why they are studied carefully by geneticists and people in related fields.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  20. Jun 21, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Jun 21, 2008 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you're confusing ethnicity with race.

Race is a classification of humans based on phyisical traits that are determined by genetics; ethnicity is classification of humans based on cultural affiliation. So yes, people can and do choose their ethnicity - happens all the time and it's not at all racist. America is full of immigrants who came here and assimilated into the American culture. (We don't think of American culture as an "ethnicity," but we don't think we speak with an accent, either.)

For example, "Hispanic" is an ethnicity, but there are Hispanics of many, many races.

If Halle Barry was raised in the Black culture it's her perogative to choose to "be" ethnically Black.

A while back when there was a question (largely posed by the media) of "Is Obama black enough?" He responded with something along the lines of, "When I try to get a cab in Chicago and none will stop for me for no apparent reason, I certainly feel black enough."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?