Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's sick of seeing all those flags everywhere?

1. Yes, I'm sick of them

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No, I have flags everywhere too

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. I don't care either way

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. I'm a moron and have no clue whatsoever

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jul 14, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] who's sick of seeing all those flags everywhere?

let's be honest here, the people who have all those flags on their houses, cars, etc., are just doing it to be "part of the crowd" which is sad because that flag is supposed to represent the people of america. if the people of america are just a bunch of dorks who paste the flag everywhere to be "part of the crowd" then i don't want to be here anymore.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2003 #2

megashawn

Science Advisor

I have a flag hanging. I've had a flag hanging. I'll keep a flag hanging.

There is nothing wrong with being patriotic, which you did not create a voting spot for.

I agree that it is sad that you see all these flags popup post - 9/11.

Some people did it because they'd become so secure feeling and honestly, didn't really think about being patriotic except on the 4th of july. Alot of people felt guilty, and to make up for there guilt, purchased a 2 flags for each vehicle, and 4 for each corner of the house.

And then of course you got the clones. The people who want to be just like everyone else. This my friend, makes up the majority of the population. Everyone wants to be someone else. A few, are quite happy being themselves.

If you can modify the poll, include an option for the person who has always flown one flag, and you'll get my vote.

4. Jul 14, 2003 #3
    What flags are you talking about?

5. Jul 14, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

After 9/11, American flags appeared EVERYWHERE in the US virtually overnight.

IMO, its inspiring.

6. Jul 14, 2003 #5
    We're certainlly not as patrioctic as you are over here in NZ

7. Jul 14, 2003 #6
    There is nothing wrong with being patriotic. It's their right to hang an American flag whereever they want.

The only problem I see with it is that in some people, it only instigates a racial bias on "who's American and who isn't".

The first thing my father did on the day of 9-11 was buy me an American flag to put on my truck. It wasn't necessarily out of patriotism, but as a protection against the anti-Arab, anti-Indian, anti-Brown sentiment that I knew would very well develop.

I still don't have an American flag on my truck, but when some people see an American flag and then see me, they look at me with contempt and disgust.

8. Jul 14, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When the war started, I put one up in my office to remind me that people are dying in support of our/my country. I don't put one up outside because no one else would see it anyway. But I like to see the flags flying around town. To me, the flag represents the best of what we all hope for; and the bond that all Americans should feel as a proud nation. No matter how one may feel about the current president, or any particular action, or any specific legislation, this country is great; and it aspires to greatness. I like seeing some unity in these dangerous times. This is not misplaced. We need to remember that we are all in this together; along with most of the free world.

Maybe you folks in New Zealand are safe enough.

9. Jul 15, 2003 #8
    i definately dont think it is to be apart of the crowd... but when i do see flags everywhere around town, i do feel security in the fact that alot of people are willing to fight with me

10. Jul 15, 2003 #9

jb

i think the soldiers should be commended for their sacrifice, and we should support them as individuals.

but i'm also sick of people who think the soldiers are dying to protect our freedom and our way of life, because although we were attacked somewhat, we were never invaded.

11. Jul 15, 2003 #10
    I think symbols are for the symbol-minded. Flags don't mean anything, and if you need one to tell you how to feel, I feel badly for you.

12. Jul 15, 2003 #11

kat

OoOoOoh! Flags that tell you how to feel?! is that anything like a furby? I want one!

13. Jul 15, 2003 #12
    *edited by me*

14. Jul 15, 2003 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You're missing the point. The flag doesn't tell me how to feel, it tells you how I feel.

15. Jul 15, 2003 #14
    And why should I care? And why should you?

And do you really think it tells me ANYTHING? Because to me it doesn't mean anything that you show a flag...except maybe that you care a bit too much about what other people think of you?

I'd prefer no one show a flag ever again.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  16. Jul 15, 2003 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then why do you use an avatar?

17. Jul 15, 2003 #16
    Because it is neat?

18. Jul 15, 2003 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Flags are neat.

19. Jul 15, 2003 #18
    OK...whatever you say.

20. Jul 15, 2003 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a difference between blind patriotic flag waving and a show of unity and support for those who risk their lives. You know that you and I have been ganging up on Russ for his poor misguided views for some time now. Even though poor Russ is still lost, you know that I'm not GI JOE. However, I do believe deeply in the principles to which this nation aspires. To me, the flag stand for this. Not for George Bush. Not for misguided or corrupt foreign or domestic policies. It stands for what we try to be. For the first time in memory, our way of life faces a true threat. Even though I have real doubts about Saddam's complicity in 9/11, in general we do face a stealthy enemy who would destroy us if possible. If now is not the time to stand together, then when? The flag serves also to remind of us this. That's why the flags go up in times of national crisis.

21. Jul 15, 2003 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i think some people go overboard with the flags on their cars, for example, they have the flag decal in the window, and two flags hanging from the front windows of each side of the car...here in my neighborhood, we have an old truck that is painted like the american flag...that's gotta take some balls to drive that thing...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?