Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's that?

1. Jan 7, 2007 #1
    Try this ::yuck:
    "Once a father and his son were going home in their bike.suddenly they got an accident and the father died at that moment itself.Whereas the son was taken to the nearby hospital.There he was taken to the operation theatre.
    After a few minutes the surgeon came out and said:"the person inside the operation theatre is my son".
    Who's that surgeon to the 'son'?:bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Erm.. the kid's mother?

4. Jan 7, 2007 #3
    Ya,right.....:)

5. Jan 7, 2007 #4

verty

Homework Helper

I like these ones. Also:

"Two Russians are walking down the street. One Russian is the father of the other Russian's son. How is this possible?"

6. Jan 7, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They are mother and father to the boy.

7. Jan 8, 2007 #6
    How about this one, there are three people in a room, two mothers and two daughters.

8. Jan 8, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

9. Jan 8, 2007 #8
    Close, but no cigar.

10. Jan 8, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Damn, I like cigars :tongue2:

OK, suppose at least two of the people in the room are female, then by default they must be daughters (whether or not their mothers are in the room). Then, suppose both of these people have at least one child each (and so are mothers, whether or not their children are in the room)

Closer?

11. Jan 8, 2007 #10
    Farther. Read your first answer carefully.

12. Jan 8, 2007 #11
    Assuming that he meant to say "there are exactly three people in a room, two mothers and exactly two daughters", then you HAVE to know that since *EVERY* female is a daughter, that you have two females (two daughters) and one male (not a daughter). And since only females can be mothers, the females in the room must also be mothers. The remaining male is insignificant.

[edit]Oh, identities could be Grandmother, mother, son[/edit]

If, however, either "exactly" is omitted, the problem is entirely different, and the only information you can glean is that there are at *least* two females, and at *least* two mothers.

DaveE

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  13. Jan 8, 2007 #12
    Read his first answer carefully.

14. Jan 8, 2007 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the room we have two female, one male. By default, the females are the two daughters. One of the females is the other's mother, the other is the male's mother.

15. Jan 8, 2007 #14
    I guess cristo's first answer was "close" because the grandmother (the "mother" in cristo's convention) is also a daughter, and that would make three daughters and two mothers.

But since you did not say that there were exactly two mothers and exactly two daughters, I think his answer qualifies.

16. Jan 8, 2007 #15
    Read your question carefully.

DaveE

17. Jan 8, 2007 #16
    OK, I did. Now, did you read his first answer carefully?

18. Jan 8, 2007 #17
    Any two mothers and a male will work. The first answer did not work because you said there were 3 females, thus 3 daughters. Even grandmothers are daughters you know :-), and of course nowhere in Jimmy's question did it say that the mother's daughters were in the room.

woops davee already said this, didn't see it because it was blanked.... How can you say this answer is wrong??????

19. Jan 8, 2007 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yeah, the question is a bit vague, and so there will be many answers.

Circles- when I saw you'd posted a response, I was expecting one of your straight out of left field scenarios! :tongue2:

20. Jan 8, 2007 #19
    Lol cristo, :-). I was just bored yesterday/too much time on my hands :P

edit: Yes that is also true it is very vague. JimmySnyder can you clarify the question please? :) For one, are they the only ones in the room? Is there only 2 daughters/mothers? Or could there possible be more?

21. Jan 8, 2007 #20
    Yes, well, it can be interpreted out the wazoo. I suggest you take a simple view of it and don't make a list of all the possible interpretations. cristo's answer in message #7 is close. I said so. But it has a mistake in it. I suppose you can't find the mistake if you analyze this thing too deeply. Just read message #7 and let it sink into your consciousness for a while. The problem will jump out at you eventually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?