Who's that surgeon to the 'son'? Brain Puzzle

• Thread starter powergirl
  • Start date
OK, I see, that is really a different question. In that case, there is a grandmother, a mother, and a daughter of the mother. Then there are 2 mothers and 1 daughter. We know that the daughter is also a mother, but we don't know who her daughter is, or even if she has one or more daughters. So, given the facts, we don't know how many mothers and daughters there are in total.Hold on I answered too fast. lol.How about this way of wording cristo's answer?In summary, the conversation revolved around trying to solve a riddle involving a room with three people, two mothers, and two daughters. Through various interpretations and assumptions, the possible solutions ranged
No wonder some people couldn't see the error without my hint. They couldn't even see it with my hint. If you saw it, then ignore this message. If you can't ignore this message, at least wait a minute before you respond to it.

Wrong:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

Right:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The grandmother and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

It is nothing deeper than that. cristo saw it.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
No wonder some people couldn't see the error without my hint. They couldn't even see it with my hint. If you saw it, then ignore this message. If you can't ignore this message, at least wait a minute before you respond to it.

Wrong:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

Right:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The grandmother and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

Are you truly serious? They are the exact same thing! To argue that they are not is childish to the extreme. For one, you have to accept that the names are STATIC. Thus when you say the granddaughter, daughter and mother in the first one, the DAUGHTER is the daughter of the MOTHER, not the granddaughter. If the names are not static then the whole thing is pointless, but anyone can see that in all of the answers, the names were assumed to be static.

It is just different words for mother grandmother and granddaughter, it's like telling a german that his solution is incorrect because he called the grandmother a Großmutter.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:

Wrong:

Right:

There is no way you can say that the first answer is wrong. Dave has confirmed this above, (and circles- he can obviously type faster than me!) but just to clarify.

In case 1. "The daughter and mother are mothers" is true, since the mother has a daughter (namely the daughter) and the daughter has a daughter (namely the granddaughter).

In your case, you simply redefine the names you give the people. You have called the "daughter" mother, and the "mother" grandmother.

I really hope you can see my point, but if not, I shall leave it- I don't want to start Dave's superman discussion!:rolleyes: edit: did that really happen? I feel for you being put in that situation!

I didn't see that it was wrong, but I noticed that you couldn't see that there was no difference between the two!

Last edited:
cristo said:
I don't want to start Dave's superman discussion!:rolleyes: edit: did that really happen? I feel for you being put in that situation!

Oh, most definitely! It was somewhere around 7th or 8th grade (wow, almost 20 years ago now), I was winning (by at least 2 pie wedges) and that was the "final victory" question. So, in part, I assume he wouldn't yield because I was going to win otherwise. But I eventually gave up because I couldn't make any headway in the argument, and won a couple turns later.

DaveE

davee123 said:
I was winning (by at least 2 pie wedges) and that was the "final victory" question. So, in part, I assume he wouldn't yield because I was going to win otherwise.

I hope, for his sake, that this was the reason!

But I eventually gave up because I couldn't make any headway in the argument, and won a couple turns later.

DaveE

It never pays to cheat! (well, not in this case anyway!)