Who's using masteringphysics.com here?

• Thread starter iamhumble
  • Start date
In summary: Hehei, I'm using the same book! I find the assignments don't help at all or prepare me in any way for the exams, so it becomes a waste of a lot of time that could have been spent doing questions that help. Mastering physics tests theory, exams test numbers in problem made questions. Anyways, since we're using the same book, do you know where I can find a step-by-step solution for problem 14.82? I've tried searching but haven't had any luck.
iamhumble
Hi -

I am just curious on the folks who are using this tool for their class? It seems that if you are than you are also using University Physics with Modern Physics, 11th Edition as the class book. Is it just me, or does the book sometimes do not really prepare to do some of the problems on w3.masteringphysics.com.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
im doing mastering physics, but i have "Physics with Modern Physics for Scientist and Engineers, Third Edition". but yup, we use the same site

How do you find using your book? Is it actually useful and easy to understand?

iamhumble said:
How do you find using your book? Is it actually useful and easy to understand?

it's alright, but yea it doesn't prepare you for questions on masteringphysics. it's totally different questions

im using masteringphysics.com and University Physics with Modern Physics, 11th Edition Vol. 2 as my text.. Strangely the problems are a bit harder than they were last sem.

Mastering Physics here too, though I'm using Physics with Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Third Edition by Wolfson and Pasachoff.

I would use Mastering Physics, but my professor hasn't activated the thingy and put up any exercises. I tried it last year though. Seemed quite useful, though typing all the more special characters was a bit of a chore. Don't have a clear memory anymore...

Kelju Ivan said:
I would use Mastering Physics, but my professor hasn't activated the thingy and put up any exercises. I tried it last year though. Seemed quite useful, though typing all the more special characters was a bit of a chore. Don't have a clear memory anymore...

i hate masteringphysics, i perfer doing homework and turning it in so teachers can tell you what your doing wrong.

"Mastering Physics here too, though I'm using Physics with Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Third Edition by Wolfson and Pasachoff."

same here, what hw# are you on now? I am starting HW#9

Yeah I’m with coconut... I used mastering physics and it blew and didn’t really help me. In the end we just kept using other people answers and distributing it around the class. IT was so pointless. Although this could have been because we were using the stand alone version, and had a different book.

Hehe

COCoNuT said:
i hate masteringphysics, i perfer doing homework and turning it in so teachers can tell you what your doing wrong.

"Mastering Physics here too, though I'm using Physics with Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Third Edition by Wolfson and Pasachoff."

same here, what hw# are you on now? I am starting HW#9

9 as well. Do you have AIM by any chance?

I am using the University Physics with Modern Physics 11th Edition and I tried to get onto masteringphysics.com today but I don't have a course code or something so I'm still working on that one...it's not required for the class so it's no big I just needed help with Gauss' Law tonight so I was going to check there...so much for that...

-kristi.lynn

underthebridge said:
9 as well. Do you have AIM by any chance?

yes my aim name is CDesign1111

what about you?

need help w/ mp

i'm using mastering physics for u. physics. we've already completed 4 assignments. most of the problems can be worked out by using the hints, but some just seem impossible. feel free to I am me if you need help or can offer any. i don't know if the problems are exactly the same, but I'm sure the concepts are similar. i really wish there were more problems w/ numbers.

Help with MP.com

Does anyone know of a place, (specifically a forum style website), that is good for help (or answers...I'm not going to lie...) regarding MasteringPhysics.com problems??

That would be pretty sweet :rolleyes:

MM

I hate Mastering Physics too! We don't use the same book any of you guys are using either, but we are in the process of changing. Right now we're using Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday/Resnick/Walker Sixth Edition as well as a trial book called Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Randall Knight.

I'm on HW #9 too! Anyone know how to do the last problem (Problem 14.82), second question? (The rest aren't too bad with the hints!) :rolleyes:

I'm using Physics with Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers. the book gives examples but nothing that compares to the problems that are required in MP. It would be nice to have a step by step solutions so you know where you went wrong.

Mastering physics

Hey ppl, I am using mastering physics as well, with the book PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS. I find the assignments don't help at all or prepare me in any way for the exams, so it becomes a waste of a lot of time that could have been spent doing questions that help. Mastering physics tests theory, exams test numbers in problem made questions. Anyways, since so many people are using mastering and physics why don't we just post questions if any, in this post IF anyone gets stuck... There's a good chance we've all done it. Tell me what you all think...

Thanks

I'm using mastering physics too...my professor's not too good at going over the materials we need for the assignment...I'm on my last assignment for the quarter which is #10 so I'm happy but also stuck

What's with all the whining about mastering physics?

If you actually look in the book, you will find that all the problems on masteringphysics are from the exercises at the end of the chapter. My teacher doesn't teach at all and I have to read the book on my own, which can get a bit hard, but if it wasn't for mastering physics I would fail all the tests. Mastering physics kindda forces you to learn the stuff (that you won't if you get a website with the answers). Sometimes on mastering physics, they have odd numbered questions for which the solutions can be found in the solutions manual...look there. Other times, the mastering physics problems will be word for word from examples in the book...they even use the same exact pictures right from the book sometimes!

Just do the problems section by section, first read all the problems on one section then read the section keeping the problems in mind. I found that the fastest way to get the answers to the problems and understand them (ace the tests also).

Usually, I can do about 80% (sometimes even 100%) of the homework from just the summary with all the equations at the end of the chapter which doesn't teach you anything, but if you remember that the homework is due in an hour you can try that.

Understanding Work and Kinetic Energy

Mastering Physics Proble HW#9
Info: A 30.0 g ball is fired horizontally with initial speed v_0 toward a 110 g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.10 m-long string. The balls undergo a head-on, perfectly elastic collision, after which the 110 g ball swings out to a maximum angle (delta_max) 52.0 degrees. Question: What is v_0?

Can anyone hint me on the formula? I'm totally lost... :confused:

I use mastering physics as well..

togepyamy said:
Can anyone hint me on the formula? I'm totally lost... :confused:

Formula 1: KE=(1/2)mv^2
Formula 2: PE=mgh.

I'm sure these two are in your book.

BTW. I'm using masteringphysics too but not mechanics.

Last edited:
thx for the help. It's greatly appreciated

I also use Mastering Physics and I think that it is a hassle to use (inputting appropriate symbols, etc). I actually prefer written homework over online work via MP. However, I am happy for whoever actually enjoys this program since I do not. :)

1. Who can use masteringphysics.com?

The website is primarily designed for students and educators in the field of physics, but anyone with an interest in physics can use it as well.

2. How do I access masteringphysics.com?

To access the website, you will need to create an account and purchase a subscription. You can then login using your account credentials to access the content.

3. What types of resources are available on masteringphysics.com?

The website offers a variety of resources such as interactive tutorials, practice problems, and assessments to help students learn and understand physics concepts.

4. Can I use masteringphysics.com on my mobile device?

Yes, the website is accessible on both desktop and mobile devices, making it convenient for students to access the resources anytime, anywhere.

5. Is masteringphysics.com free to use?

No, there is a subscription fee to access the resources on the website. However, some schools or institutions may have a group subscription that allows students to access the website for free.