Who's your daddy and is he really a Duck mechanic?

• Thread starter rudinreader
  • Start date
In summary, Warren's dad is a retired civil engineer who raised him to be independent and not back down from a fight. He's a stand-up guy, but at home he's a monster.
rudinreader
My dad works for Geokinetics. He's worked in Geophysics for 30 years. He tells my that a top executive at BP is a fraud, so I personally feel disturbed by that kind of stuff. But my dad tells me they are expecting to get a raise next month. You never no in the "oil industry" and stuff.

Who's your daddy, and what does he do? That's an Arnold Schwarzennegger (spell) line.

Physics news on Phys.org
My daddy beats up other daddies. That's basically it.

- Warren

Roflmao3!

My Dad's dead, but used to study life as a biologist, so that made him have more life experience than most ever will have. :smile:

Cool arildno. I tend to prefer Biologists over Child Psychologists 10 fold. My mom (bless her heart) is all freaked out about whether or not my daughter should be raised in Taiwan or Houston. But given how extremely peaceful Taipei is, I just choose Taipei. But anyways, hat's off to your dad arildno!

My Father, now retired, worked for NASA and then Ford Aerospace programs. He took and archived photos of just about everything. He also did free lance photography, Governors, world leaders and of course his kids.
Oh and he could hit a baseball out of the park!

Mine was a preacher. No bible-college bull****; he came out of McGill University (St. Peter's College) in 1923 with a Masters in 'Religious Studies'. He was an agnostic because of his education, so he spent his entire theological career as more of a teacher than a preacher. Emotionally, he could have been a Vulcan; he had them, but never expressed them other than through actions. All of my life, I thought that I was a bitter disappointment to him because I was a pretty rotten guy in my younger years. On his death-bed, he told me that he was proud of me... and once I got alone I cried like a baby. In fact, I'm starting to get weepy just typing this.

chroot said:

- Warren

Hahahahaha, made my evening. Great answer!

chroot said:

- Warren
That's not so bad. My daddy used to like to beat up mommy. Sometimes he would slap us around also. He can't do that any more because he will go to jail and lose his job if he does it again. Now he just kills small animals and throws their corpses in the trash.

Huck, man... I don't know what to say.
It's almost impossible for me to envision, and yet that seems to be the norm in W's family. Our niece still occassionally misses her ex (who we threatened with death if he ever comes near her again), even though she has a great new boyfriend. She stayed with him for years because (and I quote) "He hardly ever hit me." WTF!
Even W's deceased last ex, who was the perfect man (:rolleyes:) would ask her "Where do you think you're going, you ****ing *****?!" if she started out the door without consulting him. Jeez, if she wants to go to the bar or whatever and I don't feel like it, it's "Okay... be careful... are you sure you have enough money?... call if you need anything."
What the hell kind of creeps try to pass themselves off as men?

One of my great fears is that my daughter will end up with some guy like that. It's not likely, her daddy (my hubby) is kind and gentle, and doesn't have a temper. But still it worries me...I am a mom, after all!

If any guy treated her with cruelty I would have to take matters into my own hands.

My dad...he's a great guy. He's a retired civil engineer, a brilliant mind. He raised me to be very independent -- he expected all his kids to not back down from a fight, get suspended from school at least once, question authority, raise some hell, be excellent at sports, take down bullies. He expected us to fix our own cars, not lie, be fierce, don't ever take the easy way out, take the hard classes, stand up for the underdog...he's a stand-up guy, my dad.

Danger said:
What the hell kind of creeps try to pass themselves off as men?
The only answer I can think of is that they are cowards. My father works in real estate now and was doing quite well for himself, though times are a bit tougher now. When he deals with clients he is polite and sociable. At home I consider him a monster. He isn't very physically violent these days but his temper is constantly set to the red zone. He literally stomps and growls and hisses and curses all day. At least he isn't punching holes in the walls now that he owns the place. Maybe his age is catching up with him.

My parents split up for a year when I was 10. That was the best year of my life. Then for some reason my mother decided to go back to him. I was very upset with her decision, and I was right that there would only be more of the same kind of behaviour.

My brother was born shortly after they got back together. We were poor and my father was having trouble finding and keeping a job. They argued about money constantly. They couldn't pay the rent and we were evicted. They stayed with whatever friend would put them up for a while until the school year was over. Then we were moving from campground to campground for the summer, and my brother was only a few months old. Whenever he cried my father would shake him and scream until he was red in the face, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP! Then he would drive off and come back the next night. We discovered later that my brother had a hernia. The shaking didn't stop until my brother was too big to easily pick up.

When I was 18 I dropped out of college after my freshman year of architectural engineering. After that my mother became schitzophrenic. My extended family came to the conclusion that me dropping out was what caused it. Eventually her condition degraded until she stopped working and would only sit at the kitchen table smoking cigarettes all night long, rocking back and forth and talking to things that weren't there. Sometimes she would speak in tounges and curses, staring at nothing. She created conspiracy theories, one of which involved the Kennedies and Jackie-O. Once we went without a meal for 3 days because there wasn't any food besides condiments in the house. About this time I was 19 and joined the military.

My mother was in that state for almost 10 years before she got help, by accident. I found out much later that Child Services was investigating my family. They were considering taking my brother out of the house and placing him with my aunt and uncle. It never happened, but after this my father was much less physically violent. My mother didn't want psychiatric help and because she wasn't deemed to be a threat to anyone they couldn't take her against her will. My father prevented her from receiving any help. I don't have any proof of that, but my father was always saying he was worried that he would wake up with a knife in his chest. He told me that he found my mother with an unloaded rifle barrel in her mouth one night. My brother told me a story about her burning a bible in the kitchen sink. It seems apparent to me that he knew she was a threat to her own safety and others, but must have concealed this information to prevent her from getting help. I think he enjoyed the sense of superiority he felt over her in that condition.

I remember the night that my mother finally got help. At that time I was out of the military. I spent a few years driving around the country and happened to be home for a few weeks when it happened. My brother and I were going to the video store to rent some games. We saw our mother walking down the street and figured she was going to the store to buy some cigarettes. After we got back we noticed she wasn't home, which was unusual because she was always sitting at the kitchen table. We went out driving around looking for her and didn't see her anywhere. Several hours later we got a phone call from the police. Turns out she had hitchhiked to Boston and was walking around until a policeman noticed her and realized she wasn't mentally sound. She was taken to the mental hospital there. Her condition started improving quickly after that.

A few years ago I was staying with my parents while I went back to school. This is when I learned of my father's new hobby of killing whatever small animals wander into his backyard, squirrels, birds, skunks, whatever. After a year of this we had a heated argument and he said I was effeminate and made an indirect threat to kill me. (said I would have to move out of the country)

What is worse than everything I have written above is that I know that he believes that he truly loves his family. It makes it hard to hate him completely, and I find myself being sympathetic to him even though I consider him an absolute pig. I think the only reason he 'loves' his family is because he would be lonely without us and have nobody to express his anger at.

Danger, your father is a saint.
Our niece still occassionally misses her ex (who we threatened with death if he ever comes near her again)
I'll help you bury the body.

Last edited:
Wow Huck, that sounds pretty messed up. It's sad that for some men, the only emotion they feel they can express is anger.

How's your brother doing?

My dad was a famous actor

and he will kick your ass...

My daddy is a gynecologist and and he works with p****** and v******. (roughly, also from a AS movie LOL)

Actually, my dad was a carpenter, then a teacher, then had a job in our city doing like housing assistance, then a teacher again, and now he's going back to school to become an engineer.

My daddy is a farmer :)

My dad is a awesome role model and my mom deserves credit too. Although they didn't get much college, they own their own business and do good. My dad loves good music, knows how to have fun, and has an extensive library of build/fix/do knowledge.

lisab said:
Wow Huck, that sounds pretty messed up. It's sad that for some men, the only emotion they feel they can express is anger.

How's your brother doing?
He's got my father's temper but a much better heart. He recently got his GED and finished army basic training for the National Guard (edit- correction, Army Reserves). He is trained in CBR attacks, but wants to be a fire-fighter.

Last edited:
My dad does volunteer work for CURE (a group that works for reform of the criminal justice system). Both of my parents are liberals! :cry:

He used to do respectable work as a chemical engineer. After he retired, he admitted he never really enjoyed it.

Funny, but I never knew either of those things when I was growing up (well, I knew my mom was a liberal - she's pretty outspoken). The focus was usually on us kids and I would have figured he was definitely very conservative. There was a lot emphasis on not being too full of yourself and on trying a little harder to do better next time. When I first started working I realized I was on a little different standard for working hard than other people. When I was loafing, other people still thought I was working hard.

He was really good with numbers, though. He had me keeping score in bowling or doing some other task requiring arithmetic constantly. By time I was in high school, I could do most of my calculations in my head (a good thing since it's easy to lose track of decimal places using a slide rule). I could square any two digit number in my head and interpolate to get the third digit and could do square roots of any four digit number in my head (mainly because I was so good at squaring numbers I could zero in on the square root of a number really fast). If you've used a slide rule, you realize you don't need to be able to do any more digits than that. Plus I could add, subtract, multiply and divide in my head really fast. I'm not sure why I bothered to use a slide rule, since I just redid the problem until I got the same answer on the slide rule that I'd already calculated in my head. (Usually - once in a while I'd realize I might have made a mistake on my first calculation if I kept getting the same answer on the slide rule over and over.)

Last edited:
Believe or not, my dad drives a taxi, and I'm proud of him. He resigned from working as a chef when I was 6yrs old(grade 1). I'm not saying this because I think being a taxi driver is an achievement, I'm saying it because, despite all the struggling, he still took me to excellent schools. Today I'm studying Civil Engineering in Wits University.

I'm an illegitimate son of Chuck Norris, and yes my daddy could kick your arse.

:smile:My Father is a Servant Of God. He is a Pastor. Well, obviously, he serves GOD not human.

My father was an Electrical Engineer and he's dead. He was on a ladder, working on a computer (they were really big in those days) and had a stroke.

Schrodinger's Dog, your kidding right?

Evo, that's a crappy way to go. My grandpa on my fathers side (whom I never met) died after falling out of a cherry tree, breaking his hip, and getting pneumonia.

binzing said:
Schrodinger's Dog, your kidding right?

Yeah actually I'm an illegitimate son of Bruce Lee. :smile:

How horrible Evo. :frown:

Huckleberry said:
Danger, your father is a saint.

Well, we don't believe in saints, but he was a good man. Seemingly incongruent with his career, he was also one hell of a baseball pitcher/catcher and starred in basketball while at McGill (his neighbour invented the game). He and his 8 brothers had their own baseball team, called the Almont Tigers, back in the 20's-30's. Apparently, they were a force to be feared.

Wow! some of you have had a really bad time with dads, both my mom, and dad were dead before my 20th birthday. Some of my dads bad habits, helped me make some good choices about how i lived my life, and i think my kids and grandkids are proud of my good nature, and they know i love them, because I'm proud to tell them on a regular basis. I also have a saint of a wife that makes it really easy to be happy every day.
So now if i can only make time to go to work on a degree plan in the next few years, my life will round out quite well.:blushing:

My dad was a carpenter/general contractor, but died while I was still a teenager. My stepdad was a mechanic (worked in my great aunt and uncle's car dealership, which is how my mom originally knew him...I knew him back then too...he was the only mechanic that would tolerate my sister and I running around the shop and would take time out to entertain us...if we finished our homework before my mom's work day was over, it was a pretty boring place to hang out if there were customers in the showroom keeping us from being allowed to play in the cars on the floor), then when my uncle died and they closed the dealership, my stepdad started driving trucks (that's what he was doing when my mom married him). He's now retired (had to retire a bit early on disability...screwed up his shoulder pretty badly when he fell off a truck while tying down a load, and had some disintegrating vertebrae in his back as well...that's what happens when you spend your life doing literally back-breaking manual labor).

Both my dad and step-dad really emphasized that I should keep up my studies and go to college so I wouldn't have to do manual labor like they did, and what do I go and do, but get my PhD in animal sciences, so I end up working out on farms with sheep doing physical labor to get my research done. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Both my dad and step-dad really emphasized that I should keep up my studies and go to college so I wouldn't have to do manual labor like they did, and what do I go and do, but get my PhD in animal sciences, so I end up working out on farms with sheep doing physical labor to get my research done. :rolleyes:

A little bit of physical isn't bad for you. :wink:

My father is a paramedic.

Kurdt said:
A little bit of physical isn't bad for you. :wink:
I agree, and it's a nice change from being chained to a lab bench or locked up in an office in front of a computer, but on the days I get in just wiped out, back aching, bruised, and stinking like sheep sh**, I do sometimes find it ironic I was supposed to go to college to avoid that (then I watch my other friends widening ever-so-rapidly at the waist and am glad there's some physical aspects to my job...I'd be miserable if I did nothing but sit at a desk all day).

I don't know why I put that wink there. Looking at it again it makes me sound seedy but that was not the intent.

Kurdt said:
I don't know why I put that wink there. Looking at it again it makes me sound seedy but that was not the intent.

I didn't interpret it as seedy, so no worries. I thought it was more a commentary on people's over-sedentary lifestyles.

My dad was a chemical engineer grad. from VMI before he enlisted in the Army and was taken prisoner by the Germans in WWII. His group of tanks(don't know the correct term for this) was captured in Africa the first day out so he spent two years as a POW. He came home and went to medical school at the U of Maryland. He was 20 years older than my mom and died from lung disease(a smoker) about 15 years ago.

Moonbear said:
I agree, and it's a nice change from being chained to a lab bench or locked up in an office in front of a computer, but on the days I get in just wiped out, back aching, bruised, and stinking like sheep sh**, I do sometimes find it ironic I was supposed to go to college to avoid that (then I watch my other friends widening ever-so-rapidly at the waist and am glad there's some physical aspects to my job...I'd be miserable if I did nothing but sit at a desk all day).

I'm with you, Moonbear! I love being a "blue collar scientist." I work in a lab where we frequently have to do physical activity, in addition to the more typical lab work.