Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's your favorite Physicist?

1. Aug 16, 2003 #1

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Who's your favorite Physicist and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2003 #2
    I like Einstein but...

I would have to go with Richard Feynman. His sense of humor and charisma are so unique in a field where seriousness and competition dominate.

4. Aug 20, 2003 #3
    Wow, that's a toughy. I'd have to say there is a many-way tie. Anton Zeilinger, Erwin Schrodinger, Heisinberg, Plank, and that one dude with the wicked hair..... something like Albertos Instine?!?.....Whatever he's known for.

5. Sep 3, 2003 #4
    Alive or dead?

Alive: Ed Witten

Dead: Probably Einstein or Bohr.

6. Sep 3, 2003 #5
    Just to be different....

Walter Kohn and Axel Becke (who's in a chemistry department, but such the faculty hiring world goes).

As for why....DFT. Why else? An elegantly simple idea, which, when taken to various levels of application, yields all sorts of interesting results across physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

7. Sep 5, 2003 #6
    I missed the "why" part, in my previous post.

Ed Witten is my favorite living physicist, because I am a huge fan of M-Theory, and it wouldn't exist without him. Of course, Michio Kaku, and many others have made significant contributions as well, but the parts that particularly fascinate me - such as Duality and the unification of all of the string theories into the M-Theory - were most strongly influenced by Witten's work (IIRC, Witten invented Duality practically single-handedly, and he was the one that made some of the first mathematical applications of Duality to the unification of the string theories).

8. Sep 7, 2003 #7
    <----------The guy on the left and Sir Isaac Newton, both for their extraordinary work on the field of physics, which turned the world upside down

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  9. Sep 11, 2003 #8
    Albert Einstein, his work in physics, his philosophy, and the way he changed it.

10. Sep 13, 2003 #9
    Sure all of the above are great physicist but your forgetting the greatest of them all :smile:! The GREATEST physicist was Paul Dirac. Some of his many achievements are listed below

1) Formalised the mathematics of quantum mechanics
    2) Joined special relativity and quantum mechanics together
    3) Gave birth to quantum field theory
    4) First to predict that positrons existed even before their experimental discovery
    5) Gave a symmetrical form to electromagnetism to take into account the possibility of magnetic charges

These are only a few of his achievements. Indeed Paul Dirac was the greatest physicist ever!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2003
  11. Sep 14, 2003 #10

FZ+

In order..

1. Einstein: The father of both QM and Relativity, and the confirmer of atomic theory.
    2. Newton: Created mathematical physics.
    3. Dirac... or someone else if I think of him.

12. Sep 18, 2003 #11
    Benjamin Franklin, because he
    made an important contribution
    without actually being a physicist
    strictly speaking, and:

Michael Faraday, because he made
    what I consider the important
    discoveries about electromagnetism
    the first transducer for turning
    work into electricity, and the
    first transducer for turning
    electricity into work.

13. Sep 21, 2003 #12
    Feynmann & Fermi -- There need be no explanation

14. Sep 22, 2003 #13
    Dirac, that is a good one - his contributions are often overlooked outside of the Physics community - the ket-bra formalism is one of the most beautiful I know of. I like its liquidity, the way it can be chenged from an abstract algebra to a discrete rep, then to a continuous rep, then back - very nice. Personally I like them all, even all the little known researchers and people who wrote practical how-to books that did little to change the history of physics but did a lot to sharpen people's abilities. The only one I don't like is Heisenberg - because he was a Nazi.

15. Sep 22, 2003 #14
    Ah.... but does one's social status take away from one's contributions?
    Paden Roder

16. Sep 22, 2003 #15
    It doesn't, but it does change whether I like him or not. I'm not denying Heisenberg's greatness at all.

17. Sep 22, 2003 #16
    Einstein, I love his genious, humility and wit.
    Newton, it's just amazing what he did.
    Tesla, underrated genious.

18. Sep 24, 2003 #17
    Dr Abdus Salam [ Pakistan ]

Assalam-u-Alaikum W.R.W.B/Hi,

My favorate Physicist is Late Dr Abdus Salam. He did alot for Pakistan but was always treated badly because he was an Ahmadi Muslim by faith and Ahmadi Sect has been declared non-Muslim in Pakistan in 1974 by the then National Assembly. He is the first Muslim and the only Pakistani Nobel Laureate :smile:

He got his Nobel Prize in 1979. Members can visit the following links:

( 1 ) The Nobel Prize in Physics 1979
    Presentation Speech by Professor Bengt Nagel of the Royal Academy of Sciences
    Link: http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1979/presentation-speech.html

( 2 ) The Nobel Prize in Physics 1979
    Link: http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1979/

( 3 ) Abdus Salam – Banquet Speech
    Link: http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1979/salam-speech.html

( 4 ) Abdus Salam – Nobel Lecture [ You need to download Adobe Acrobat ]
    Link: http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1979/salam-lecture.html

( 5 ) Abdus Salam – Curriculum Vitae
    Link: http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1979/salam-cv.html

( 6 ) His Picture Gallery on the official site of Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam
    Link: http://www2.alislam.org/gallery/salam

( 7 ) His details/some of his writings on the official site of Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam
    Link: http://www.alislam.org/library/salam.html

Wassalam/Bye
    Ahsan_al_Hadees

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2003
  19. Sep 24, 2003 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

Dunno if he was actually a physicist but i personally think that Ernest Rutherford was a pretty cool guy! He experimented and explained the basic structure of the atoms we know today which i think is groovy.. however i like Tesla too cos of his outrageous claims...what a pro!

20. Sep 25, 2003 #19

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein, Feynman, Newton, Weinberg, Schwinger, Wigner, Dirac,...

Some physicists who were "near-misses" for that level of greatness, but have influenced me through their books are Sakurai, Bjorken and Drell, Taylor and Wheeler.

21. Sep 28, 2003 #20
    I'll have to stick up for my main man, who is most commonly over looked: Tesla

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?