Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's your favourite living Philsopher

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to find out more about philosophers who are still alive (or recently deceased) so post who your favourite is and tell us a bit about them.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2
    Nietzsche(always forget that pesky s). Close second is Kierkegaard.

Logical syllogisms and categorical statements? Pah!

EDIT: *chuckles* Sorry. Wasn't paying any attention - I don't know many living philosophers. Let me see...not Derrida. Heh. Look into Nozick. He's kinda famous. I hated the book I read by him, though.

Many of the living philosophers seem to be working on animal rights or similarly silly things. Stick with the dead.

Here's an interesting story I ran across in a brief search:

Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

What a kook, huh?
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  4. May 10, 2005 #3
    I wouldn't called Kierkegaard recently dead since he died in 1855.

My favorite right now is a professor I had recently, his name is Sami Hawi and he did great work in the philosophy of psychology and Islamic philosophy.
  5. May 12, 2005 #4
    i don't know enough living philosophers to have a favorite.

i liked thomas kuhn, he died in '96, that's kinda close...
  6. May 12, 2005 #5

Anthony Flew was a philosopher who finally realized that there is ZERO scientific evidence that life originated on this planet by random chance. Natural selection, as observable science, pertains to life only after the DNA molecule already exists. The more that is learned about DNA, the less likely it originated by itself.

The real question is: WHAT is the nature of the 'Higher Power' that influenced the origin of DNA. Is it the Christian God? Anthony Flew thought not. We are part of a really big Universe that has been around for a very long time. Perhaps there is some some 'Higher power' that we have not yet discovered. I wish Anthony Flew were still here to assist in the quest.
  7. May 14, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, sure, if you want a cell to miraculously pop out of thin air. It's generally agreed that it was probaby a cumulative process.
  8. May 15, 2005 #7
    Im my own :)

Wow, its really been a long time since my last post... Anyway, more to the point. I think its better not to have favorites when it comes to things like philosophers. Its like politicians, some you will tend to agree with the most, but even the worst can come up with something good also. I dont like all the philosophy of some people and i dont think you can really compare one persons philosophy to another, its all on a different level, so how can you judge 2 people on 2 completely different things. Anyway, stupid rant that probably makes no sense...
  9. May 15, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My faves:
    #1 Les Sleeth
    #2 Paul Davies
    #3 Peter Carruthers
  10. May 16, 2005 #9

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're after moral philosophy based on utilitarianism, Peter Singer is well worth a look.
  11. May 24, 2005 #10
    Dennett. What I've read about Singer, I like.
  12. May 25, 2005 #11
    Jessica Simpson.
  13. May 26, 2005 #12
    I think Anthony Flew was feeling the calling of death and perhaps wanted to leave the world with a feeling that the universe's mysteries were solved. Anyway, his conversion does not make atheism or theism more valid.

Can you please elaborate on what you are saying here?
  14. May 27, 2005 #13
    I would fancy myself as a philosopher and therefore give the obvious preference to my thoughts lol... However I do not like these "established" philosophers as a lot of them are a bit too dry for me. Descartes had humour and he addressed a lot of things that are somewhat valid. Yet I think Mendeleev was the smartest human being.

Yes Mendeleev and Maxwell were scientists but thats coz their notions and thoughts were proven to be "true". Which validates the fact that indeed they were real truth seekers and have also contributed a great amount to our knowledge of what is the physical world. I personally take my hats off too them.

personally I think scientists are the best sorts of philosophers because the humanist stuff really is boring for me to read.
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  15. May 27, 2005 #14

Greg try Mohammad Asad. I think you might like his writings, him or Majid Fakhry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?