Who's your favourite living Philsopher

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think you can call them philosophers as they didn't really develop any philosophical views or theories.
Smurf
I'm trying to find out more about philosophers who are still alive (or recently deceased) so post who your favourite is and tell us a bit about them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nietzsche(always forget that pesky s). Close second is Kierkegaard.

Logical syllogisms and categorical statements? Pah!

EDIT: *chuckles* Sorry. Wasn't paying any attention - I don't know many living philosophers. Let me see...not Derrida. Heh. Look into Nozick. He's kinda famous. I hated the book I read by him, though.

Many of the living philosophers seem to be working on animal rights or similarly silly things. Stick with the dead.

Here's an interesting story I ran across in a brief search:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=315976

What a kook, huh?

Last edited:
lazycritic said:

I wouldn't called Kierkegaard recently dead since he died in 1855.

My favorite right now is a professor I had recently, his name is Sami Hawi and he did great work in the philosophy of psychology and Islamic philosophy.

i don't know enough living philosophers to have a favorite.

i liked thomas kuhn, he died in '96, that's kinda close...

lazycritic said:

Logical syllogisms and categorical statements? Pah!

EDIT: *chuckles* Sorry. Wasn't paying any attention - I don't know many living philosophers. Let me see...not Derrida. Heh. Look into Nozick. He's kinda famous. I hated the book I read by him, though.

Many of the living philosophers seem to be working on animal rights or similarly silly things. Stick with the dead.

Here's an interesting story I ran across in a brief search:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=315976

What a kook, huh?

Anthony Flew was a philosopher who finally realized that there is ZERO scientific evidence that life originated on this planet by random chance. Natural selection, as observable science, pertains to life only after the DNA molecule already exists. The more that is learned about DNA, the less likely it originated by itself.

The real question is: WHAT is the nature of the 'Higher Power' that influenced the origin of DNA. Is it the Christian God? Anthony Flew thought not. We are part of a really big Universe that has been around for a very long time. Perhaps there is some some 'Higher power' that we have not yet discovered. I wish Anthony Flew were still here to assist in the quest.

sd01g said:
Anthony Flew was a philosopher who finally realized that there is ZERO scientific evidence that life originated on this planet by random chance. Natural selection, as observable science, pertains to life only after the DNA molecule already exists. The more that is learned about DNA, the less likely it originated by itself.

The real question is: WHAT is the nature of the 'Higher Power' that influenced the origin of DNA. Is it the Christian God? Anthony Flew thought not. We are part of a really big Universe that has been around for a very long time. Perhaps there is some some 'Higher power' that we have not yet discovered. I wish Anthony Flew were still here to assist in the quest.

Yeah, sure, if you want a cell to miraculously pop out of thin air. It's generally agreed that it was probaby a cumulative process.

Im my own :)

Wow, its really been a long time since my last post... Anyway, more to the point. I think its better not to have favorites when it comes to things like philosophers. Its like politicians, some you will tend to agree with the most, but even the worst can come up with something good also. I don't like all the philosophy of some people and i don't think you can really compare one persons philosophy to another, its all on a different level, so how can you judge 2 people on 2 completely different things. Anyway, stupid rant that probably makes no sense...

My faves:
#1 Les Sleeth
#2 Paul Davies
#3 Peter Carruthers

If you're after moral philosophy based on utilitarianism, Peter Singer is well worth a look.

Dennett. What I've read about Singer, I like.

Jessica Simpson.

I think Anthony Flew was feeling the calling of death and perhaps wanted to leave the world with a feeling that the universe's mysteries were solved. Anyway, his conversion does not make atheism or theism more valid.

The more that is learned about DNA, the less likely it originated by itself.

Can you please elaborate on what you are saying here?

I would fancy myself as a philosopher and therefore give the obvious preference to my thoughts lol... However I do not like these "established" philosophers as a lot of them are a bit too dry for me. Descartes had humour and he addressed a lot of things that are somewhat valid. Yet I think Mendeleev was the smartest human being.

Yes Mendeleev and Maxwell were scientists but that's coz their notions and thoughts were proven to be "true". Which validates the fact that indeed they were real truth seekers and have also contributed a great amount to our knowledge of what is the physical world. I personally take my hats off too them.

personally I think scientists are the best sorts of philosophers because the humanist stuff really is boring for me to read.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I wouldn't called Kierkegaard recently dead since he died in 1855.

My favorite right now is a professor I had recently, his name is Sami Hawi and he did great work in the philosophy of psychology and Islamic philosophy.

Greg try Mohammad Asad. I think you might like his writings, him or Majid Fakhry.

Related to Who's your favourite living Philsopher

1. Who is considered to be the most influential living philosopher?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions and beliefs. Some may argue that Noam Chomsky, a linguist and political activist, is the most influential living philosopher due to his contributions to the fields of linguistics, cognitive psychology, and political activism. Others may argue for philosophers like Martha Nussbaum or Judith Butler, who have made significant contributions to feminist theory and ethics.

2. Who is the youngest living philosopher?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as it can be challenging to determine who is considered a "philosopher" and what age qualifies as "young." However, there are many young philosophers making significant contributions to the field, such as Princeton professor Tommie Shelby, who is in his forties and known for his work on racial justice and political philosophy.

3. Who is the most well-known living philosopher?

Again, this answer is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions and beliefs. Some may argue that renowned philosopher and cognitive scientist Daniel Dennett is the most well-known living philosopher due to his popular books and lectures on consciousness, free will, and evolution. Others may argue for philosophers like Slavoj Žižek or Peter Singer, who have gained widespread recognition for their work in critical theory and ethics.

4. Who is the most controversial living philosopher?

This answer can also be subjective, as what is considered "controversial" can vary among individuals. However, some philosophers are known for their controversial ideas and opinions, such as Jordan Peterson, who has sparked intense debates and criticism for his views on gender, free speech, and political correctness. Other controversial philosophers include Michel Foucault and Friedrich Nietzsche for their critiques of power and morality.

5. Who is the most underrated living philosopher?

Again, this answer is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions and beliefs. Some may argue that philosophers like Kwame Anthony Appiah or Seyla Benhabib are underrated due to their insightful work on topics such as cosmopolitanism and cultural relativism. Others may argue for lesser-known philosophers like Amia Srinivasan or Kate Manne, who have gained recognition for their contributions to feminist philosophy and social justice issues.