Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whose company do you prefer?

1. Animals

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Humans

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. I prefer to be alone

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Jul 8, 2016 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is not a question on who you find the most important. This is a question on whose company you prefer most of the time: animals or humans.

I'm creating this poll because on the empathy thread there were some people who said they prefered to be among animals than humans. I certainly understand this preference, but I want to see how big this is in the PF community!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

I like a mix of both. :oldbiggrin:

4. Jul 8, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Humans that behave like animals or animals that behave like humans?

5. Jul 8, 2016 #4

Borg

Gold Member

Not quite what I meant. :oldeyes:

6. Jul 8, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Of course it will depend on the animal. But it is true, that I understand cats and dogs, and they rarely lie. And if, you could probably tell. I cannot say the same about humans. However, some seem to sensationalize a little bit:

DYK that goldfishes are the oldest pet animal kept without any direct use?

7. Jul 8, 2016 #6

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

I prefer humans as a company most of the time, but I like the company of animals too. Something along the lines of Borg but with more "weight" on humans.

8. Jul 8, 2016 #7

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

I think that this is the ultimate reason for people preferring only animals company and it is founded on well grounds.

9. Jul 8, 2016 #8
    ☠ Humans are animals.

10. Jul 8, 2016 #9

fresh_42

Dry-nosed primate, please. There's got to be time for it. :smile:

11. Jul 8, 2016 #10
    My dog on weekdays, humans on the weekends.

12. Jul 8, 2016 #11
    I'm only comfortable around my dog. All humans give me anxiety, and ones I don't know I actively avoid.

13. Jul 8, 2016 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really like the company of animals, but I do not need the company of animals. I do, however, need the other two options in the poll. Luckily, I can arrange things everyday such that I have times alone, and such that I also have times where I interact with humans, both at work and at home.

14. Jul 8, 2016 #13

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This completely depends on the type of humans we’re talking about here. I rarely find the company of people my own age appealing (in regards to devoting time to them) and prefer older people…but those older people have to meet certain criteria, too.

If there’s nobody I’m interested in around, I’d rather be alone.
    I'll take that to offense, good sir. My fish can do tricks.

15. Jul 8, 2016 #14

Astronuc

There are times that I enjoy human and/or animal company, and there are times when I like being alone.

I enjoy the company of family, friends and colleagues. I like to interact with pets.

Then there are times when I go riding or hiking or canoeing/kayaking, and I enjoy being alone.

I would enjoy a visit with the lady and the elephant. I think she needs to keep a bucket nearby in the house.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  16. Jul 9, 2016 #15
    I enjoy company of all animals that are kept as pets. As for humans, I enjoy company of some, but I guess it's the minority. With most people, I'm shy and feel awkward. I have a very hard time with extroverts and loud people.
    With animals, I'm always relaxed and there's nothing to hide or pretend.

17. Jul 9, 2016 #16
    I like being around people, but only for a few hours. Then I feel the need to be alone, even if it's my best friends ( don't know if something is wrong with me). I love being with dogs though :dog:

18. Jul 9, 2016 #17
    Humans have clear objectives and plans to manipulate things. They can compute naturally with symbols thoughtfully, by which we can measure and evaluate their professional behaviors in developed societies.

19. Jul 11, 2016 #18
    People who share my interests and./or people who are fun

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted