Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whuz going on with the beef?

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1

Mk

I noticed the ground beef from one store has a red colored outside, and a darker interior. Whereas, the ground beef from the other store has a red color through and through :bugeye: . Neither is displeasing in taste; I will be conducting tests on the flavor later in the week, to see if one tastes better than the other. What might be responsible for this color variation? :confused: Is there a scam going on here? By looking at the different kinds sold, the higher the fat content is, the darker the meat, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The color should be uniform, or a little darker on the outside from exposure to air. If it's red on the outside and darker on the inside, I wouldn't buy from that store. They're coloring the meat to make it look fresher than it is. Hopefully they don't sell it past its expiration, but it means they're trying to trick you into thinking it's really fresh when it might be a few days old already (it won't be bad as long as it's stored properly, but you shouldn't be fooled to think it's really fresh either).

The fat is white, so ground beef with a higher fat content will look paler in color (more pink than red) than one with lower fat content, though it's not really that noticeable unless you're looking at two very different fat contents.

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did some work for a guy in the meat business. Not only did he mention dyed meats as a common practice, and [allegedly] that those fine steak houses often have such tender steaks by way of chemical injections [he made and sold the chemical injection systems] but he also talked about the meat industry like it was old town Chicago - literally. You never cross the guys in suits. :bugeye:

5. Apr 24, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One more reason to stop eating meat :wink:

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5
    from http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Beef_from_Farm_to_Table/index.asp

I like to buy natural free range beef, because it has no antiboitics, it even tastes better.

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6
    I miss "should we eat meat" thread :approve:

Being a big fan of eating meat, i am trying to start to boycutt it in the U.S , but the reason is they kill animals usually in harsh way, while back home they kill them with respect :wink:

Anyhow anyhow anyhow......just pop-up in my mind to write this here :biggrin:

8. Apr 24, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, just buy the meat from someone more reputable. You can tell when it's dyed, it just looks unnaturally red.

You also have to watch the produce section in some grocery stores. The produce counters often have different lighting under them that make everything look a little greener than it really is. Of course, that's just the lights, not adding dyes to the food, so you can judge the produce just by picking it up and looking at it out from under the lights of the counter.

These tricks have been around for decades.

9. Apr 24, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you think it's different? Quickly and with the least pain possible is the most important thing. But, it's a personal choice. If you don't want to eat meat, that's okay too. I'm not questioning your choice, just curious what gives you the impression that there is a difference in "harshness" of the slaughter in the two countries (and if you don't mind sharing, what is the country you refer to as "back home").

10. Apr 24, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Some stores used special lights in the meat cases that made the meat look redder, you would have to hold the meat in regular store light to determine how it really looked. I don't know if this still goes on.

11. Apr 24, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably, the same as they do for produce. I didn't think about that, but I still have the old habit of picking up the meat packages and looking at them outside the counter. All the meat in the specialty case (the one where you have to get someone to serve you) looks too red; I wouldn't be surprised if they have special lights inside that case. If you go to a butcher, always ask them to hold up the meat outside the case for you to see it, don't just pick it from the row inside, and ask to see the other side, because of course they put it in the case with the best side up.

12. Apr 24, 2005 #11

Of course, and with Mad Cow Disease fiasco I would not touch meat with 10 foot pole.

13. Apr 24, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I'm content with a knife and fork. A 10 ft pole sounds really difficult to eat with. :biggrin:

14. Apr 24, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think I could ever give up oak BBQ'd rib-eye steaks.

A steak a week; that's all we ask. Besides, I have to replace my mercury laden tuna with something.

15. Apr 24, 2005 #14
    You will, when you start forgeting where you put your car keyes or eyeglasses.

16. Apr 24, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is more dangerous to get in my car than to eat beef. :wink:

17. Apr 24, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not giving up my beef until I start forgetting where I left my teeth! :biggrin:

18. Apr 24, 2005 #17
    youd probably be eating from a straw before that prospect becomes your life. 3 more cases internationally. and i just read about a guy who was fired for exposing bad meat practices, ten years ago*. He had some meat that was tested positive for mad cow, this same meat sent to the government agency who handles whether the meat passes or not...and it passes with flying colors, served fresh with spongeform at your local butchery.

I only wish i would have stopped sooner :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?