1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why a capacitor discharges

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    Hello,

This isn't an actual homework but just a thing I'm wondering about.

Suppose we have a capacitor with plates A and B. The plates are not connected. Plate A has 10 electrons more than plate B.
    Now someone connects the plates with a wire. The electrons on plate A repel each other stronger than the electrons on plate B as there are fewer electrons on plate B. And as a result there is a current from plate A to plate B.
    One thing doesn't make sense to me. The electrons on plate A repel the electrons from plate B.
    So on one hand there are electrons which flow from plate A to plate B and on the other hand plate A's electrons repel electrons from plate B in the direction which is opposite to this flow, then why doesn't it stop the flow?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not understand what you mean:

Because of the excess electrons, plate A is at a negative potential with respect to B. The excess electrons on A repel each other so they move to plate B, making B negative. When the potential is equal on both plates there is no more driving force for the electrons to move. This happens when half of the excess electrons moved from A to B.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook