Why a massive body is easier to break than a tiny body?

• I
  • Thread starter fxdung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Break
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in breaking a massive body and a tiny body despite having the same force bonding them. It is explained that a massive atomic nucleus is easier to break because it is acted upon by "multipoles" force, which is weaker than the direct interaction between two nucleons. This is due to the fact that the "multipoles" force is attractive, unlike the electric force which has both repulsive and attractive components. The color of a large nucleus is also mentioned, with the conclusion that the van der Waals force binding nucleons together is weak in this case. The speaker clarifies that they were initially wrong in thinking that big things are easier to break, and asks for further clarification on the topic
fxdung
Why a massive body is easier to break than a tiny body despite the force bonding two particle is the same?

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy and Sangeet Chand
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not.

Why a massive atomic nucleus is easy to break down?Is one nucleon acted by "multipoles" force but not interaction direct between two nucleons and "multipoles" force is weak with large nucleus?But strong interaction always is attractive force not have both repulsion and attractive force as electric force,then how can we make up a multipoles?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Now I rethink that with a large nucleus the "Van der Waals" "color" is nearly "white"(QCD) so the van der Waals force binding nucleons with each other is weak.Is that correct?

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are talking specifically about nuclei and not generic "massive bodies", you should say so.

Likes weirdoguy
At the beginning I thought that in general the big thing is easier to break,but by your answer I know that I was wrong.But after that I did not understand about the big nucleus!

1. Why is a massive body easier to break than a tiny body?

The answer to this question lies in the concept of force and pressure. When a force is applied to an object, it exerts pressure on the object. The larger the object, the more area there is to distribute the force, resulting in less pressure. This means that a massive body can withstand more force before breaking compared to a tiny body, which has less area to distribute the force and therefore experiences higher pressure.

2. How does the shape of an object affect its breakability?

The shape of an object can also play a role in its breakability. Objects with sharp edges or points are more susceptible to breaking because they have smaller areas to distribute the force. This means that the pressure exerted on these points is higher, making them easier to break compared to objects with smoother, more rounded shapes.

3. Is the material of an object a factor in its breakability?

Yes, the material of an object is a crucial factor in its breakability. Some materials, such as glass, are more brittle and prone to breaking under pressure compared to others, like metal. This is because the molecular structure of the material determines its strength and ability to withstand force. So, a tiny body made of a brittle material is easier to break compared to a massive body made of a stronger material.

4. Can the speed of impact affect the breakability of an object?

Yes, the speed of impact can also play a role in the breakability of an object. When an object is impacted at a high speed, the force exerted on it is greater, resulting in higher pressure. This makes it easier for the object to break, especially if it is a tiny body with less area to distribute the force. On the other hand, a massive body may be able to withstand the impact better due to its larger surface area.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect an object's breakability?

Aside from the factors mentioned above, there are other factors that can affect an object's breakability. These include temperature, humidity, and the presence of defects or weak points in the object's structure. All of these can influence the strength and integrity of an object, making it more or less susceptible to breaking under pressure.