Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why adults don't watch cartoons?

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    Society deems adults who watch cartoons as childish and immature. Why is this?
    Some of the cartoons contain clever pop culture references and have nice humour. Then why don't adults watch it?

Google-ing gave me the following answers:-
    - Some of the humour in cartoons is childish and doesn't entertain adults. I somewhat agree on this even though I don't clearly understand what childish humour is.
    - Adults have less time for entertainment.

What are your thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

They read cartoons as children.
    They were spoonfed as children as well, hence the logic.
    :smile:

4. Oct 27, 2013 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Adults watch the Simpsons, family guy, American dad and things like anime so I'd say they do watch cartoons.

5. Oct 27, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Because many of the things that children do we tend to grow out of. So, in general, when someone does something that they did as a kid, it's considered immature and childish.

For me, a lot of it is just that it's too simple and childish. I do enjoy a good silly cartoon every now and then, but overall I'd prefer something a little more mature.

6. Oct 27, 2013 #5

turbo

Gold Member

When I was a kid, going to the movie theater involved watching cartoons between the main features. It wasn't that odd.

7. Oct 27, 2013 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Most of the time, it was Warner Brothers, but sometimes Woody Woodpecker (Lantz), etc.

8. Oct 27, 2013 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Parent => Adult cartoon watching

9. Oct 27, 2013 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I watch Phineas and Ferb, Pinky and the Brain, and Looney Tunes cartoons. So who says that adults don't watch cartoons?

Zz.

10. Oct 27, 2013 #9
    I think adults generally don't watch cartoons made for children because they don't find them entertaining any more. However, plenty of adults watch cartoons like the Simpsons because, for example, the first six or seven seasons of the Simpsons are the funniest television ever produced, and it was made to appeal to all audiences.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  11. Oct 27, 2013 #10
    Depends on the cartoons. I'll watch any cartoon movie Disney makes. I'll watch the good anime movies that come from Japan.
    When I was a kid, I had different tastes in entertainment. As a kid I could watch almost any cartoon and play any video game. Now, cartoons bore me, and most video games bore me. But there are things I do now that would have bored me as a kid.
    The ebb and flow of interests as one ages is an interesting topic that I've put a lot of thought into.
    It could be comparable to the changes in tastes for sweets. As a kid, I enjoyed eating all kinds of candy. I actually enjoyed the fruit candies more (not real fruit, just flavored and colored). Now, the only candy I'll deign to eat is chocolate candies, like Snickers and the like.
    I was at work and a coworker was eating a small bag of gummy snacks, and he asked me if I eat them. That was a strange moment for me. I not only thought to myself "no, of course not", but I thought "why the hell would I waste my time eating something like that?" It seemed to me like eating those would be pointless. Sure they have a nice taste for a few seconds, but... so? The pleasure associated with that is extremely brief and miniscule. Chocolate provides much greater and longer lasting pleasure, which is why I think I still like eating it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  12. Oct 28, 2013 #11
    I wonder what marks the changes in interests. Why things that entertained in childhood don't seem to provide pleasure when we grow up? Is it the intellectual stimulus or something?

13. Oct 28, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I would watch all the cartoons I watched as a kid in a heartbeat.

14. Oct 28, 2013 #13

Drakkith

I do with some. Others I don't care for anymore. Typically the more "dark" and "mature" a show was, the better I enjoy it now.

15. Oct 28, 2013 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ah, well.
    But nerds are expected by the general public to like cartoons.
    So, "we" don't really count in the equation..

:smile:

PS:
    I think this dismissal by the general public of cartoons as inherently "childish" is an irrational attitude, but it most definitely is a fairly widespread sentiment, which is somewhat interesting to understand why occurs at all.

I believe that structurally, this is connected with a similar dismissal of the value of, say, science fiction and/or fantasy literature.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  16. Oct 28, 2013 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But why does the general public see cartoons as "childish", but so many adults waste time with idiotic reality shows :confused:?

17. Oct 28, 2013 #16
    Always liked Dexter's Laboratory

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Oct 28, 2013 #17
    http://yfrog.com/gywgludoj:iphone

Maybe only a few will laugh but for those who do it will be worth it...

19. Oct 28, 2013 #18

Evo

Yeah, include me as one that doesn't like anime.

20. Oct 28, 2013 #19

Ryan_m_b

Hahaha, that's one of the few anime I've ever watched.

21. Oct 28, 2013 #20

reenmachine

Gold Member

What do you mean with cartoons? Do you mean cartoons made specifically for children?

Anyway , I do watch a lot of cartoons made for adults such as:

South Park
    American Dad
    Family Guy
    The Simpsons (not as much as I used to though)
    Beavis & Butt-head
    King of the Hill

and others that I can't think of right now...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook