Why ##\alpha=atan(v/c)##?

• I
  • Thread starter olgerm
  • Start date
In summary, according to the Wikipedia page, the angle between coordinate lines and base vectors in different frames of reference is atan(v/c). However, a derivation using the picture provided in the link yields angles of arcsin(v/c) and (2π/4)-arccos(v/c). The mistake in the derivation may be in not properly identifying the correct angles and not taking into account symmetry. Additionally, the concept of rapidity, which can be thought of as an angle in Lorentzian geometry, may be helpful in understanding the relationship between velocities and angles in a Minkowski plane. It is suggested to focus on the Minkowski plane as an affine space with a different fundamental form, rather than trying to apply Euclidean
olgerm
Gold Member
according to this wikipedia page says that angle between coordinalines(and basevectors) in different frames of reference is atan(v/c), but I tried to derive it and got that these angles are ##arcsin(v/c)## and ##\frac{2\pi}{4}-arccos(v/c)##. Derivation is on the picture that on the link. Where is the mistake in my derivation? ##v_t## is speed between the frsmes of references.
##\frac{\partial x´}{\partial t}=v_t## because an object that is in rest in one frame of refence must move with speed ##v_t## in another frame of reference.

Also would that in 1. frame of reference c*t and x are crosswise but not in another frame of reference(x') make first one preferred or different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is pretty unclear. But look at the section of the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_diagram#Loedel_diagram
and be careful about the following.
- Are you identifying the correct angles?
- Are you being careful to remember that in the Loedel diagram, one frame is going left at -v, the other to right at +v?
- Are you making good use of symmetry? Because they are going +v and -v the axis angles must be symmetric.

olgerm said:
angle between coordinalines(and basevectors) in different frames of reference is atan(v/c)
I think you’re making it way more complicated than it is. On a Minkowsi diagram, the worldline of a particle (##x’=0##) moving with speed ##v \equiv \frac{dx}{dt}## makes an angle ##\alpha## with the ##t## axis (##x=0##). The fact that ##\tan{\alpha} = \frac{dx}{dt}## should be obvious, so clearly, the inverse tangent function of ##v## gives ##\alpha##. Pretty much the same argument can be used to get the same angle between ##t’=0## and ##t=0##.
would that in 1. frame of reference c*t and x are crosswise but not in another frame of reference(x') make first one preferred or different?
I’m assuming by “crosswise” you mean orthogonal, in which case the ##t’## and ##x’## basis vectors are orthogonal (using the Minkowski metric).

Last edited:
DEvens said:
Your diagram is pretty unclear.
I improved it now.

DEvens said:
- Are you identifying the correct angles?
I noted the ##\alpha## from wikipedia page with ##\beta##.

DEvens said:
- Are you being careful to remember that in the Loedel diagram, one frame is going left at -v, the other to right at +v?
0-frame is in rest; '-frame is moving left and -frame is moving right. But in my question only 2 frames were involved. ##\alpha## is angle from this picture.

DEvens said:
- Are you making good use of symmetry? Because they are going +v and -v the axis angles must be symmetric.
In my question only 2 frames are involved. It is not about diagrams from Loedel diagram section in this wikipedia page.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
Please post equations and derivations directly in the post using the LaTeX feature.
I can't post diagrams that way.

Diagrams can be drawn with a decent program and posted -- or drawn clearly and legibly and then scanned and posted

Your 'picture in the link' to me demonstrates a severe lack of consideration for potential helpers.

olgerm said:
I can't post diagrams that way.

Yes, you can; post them as images. But they need to just be images of diagrams. You need to post everything else directly.

olgerm said:
according to this wikipedia page says that angle between coordinalines(and basevectors) in different frames of reference is atan(v/c)

I'm not sure what you're trying to do (lacking any diagrams), but I do recognize the formula you give:

$$\tan \alpha = \frac{v}{c} \quad \alpha = \tan^{-1}\frac{v}{c}$$

In this formula, ##\alpha## is an expression for the rapidity. (More specifically, the rapidity in a 2 d spacetime with one spatial dimension and 1 time dimension).

Rapidity can be called an angle in the Lorentzian geometry of space-time, which is hyperbolic, because, unlike velocities, rapdities add. So if we view velocites as angles, we want some sort of function of velocity that adds just like angles do. This function of velocity is the rapidity.

However, the rapidity is unbounded, in can have any value from -infinity to +infinity, so it's not quite analogous to an angle in Euclidean space which only has a range from ##-\pi## to ##\pi##.

The wiki article on Rapidity might be of some help.

Likes Michael Price
pervect said:
lacking any diagrams
Diagram is on the link.

pervect said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to do (lacking any diagrams), but I do recognize the formula you give:

$$\tan \alpha = \frac{v}{c} \quad \alpha = \tan^{-1}\frac{v}{c}$$

In this formula, ##\alpha## is an expression for the rapidity. (More specifically, the rapidity in a 2 d spacetime with one spatial dimension and 1 time dimension).

Rapidity can be called an angle in the Lorentzian geometry of space-time, which is hyperbolic, because, unlike velocities, rapdities add. So if we view velocites as angles, we want some sort of function of velocity that adds just like angles do. This function of velocity is the rapidity.

However, the rapidity is unbounded, in can have any value from -infinity to +infinity, so it's not quite analogous to an angle in Euclidean space which only has a range from ##-\pi## to ##\pi##.

Do you mean tanh, not tan?

Likes DrGreg
Michael Price said:
Do you mean tanh, not tan?

Ooops, yes.

olgerm said:
Diagram is on the link.
I’m not sure if you didn’t see post #3, or if you’re having trouble understanding what I said, but this is just a very simple trig problem. Maybe you just need a diagram to help you understand, so I drew a quick picture. But again, I think you’re making this way more complicated than it really is.
ABEA8BB9-0FFA-4975-8936-3541F2F2B96D.jpeg

I'm really puzzled, why still some textbooks and obviously also Wikipedia work in this highly confusing way.

As soon as you draw a Minkowski plane (i.e., a time axis and one of the three spatial axes of a Minkowski 4-bein) you should forget all about Euclidean geometry. The Minkowski plane is an affine space with a different fundamental form, defined by
$$\mathrm{d} s^2=\mathrm{d} t^2-\mathrm{d}x ^2$$
(setting ##c=1## and using the west-coast-convention of signature). There are no angles anymore!

This ingenious insight by Minkowski makes relativity much simpler than old-fashioned mixtures with Euclidean geometry which later have to unlearnt anyway!

Likes Pencilvester
I renewed the diagrams in the link.
I now realize, that i made a mistake ##\frac{\partial x'}{\partial t}\not = v_t## in SR, but
##cos(\alpha_{t'-x})=\frac{ _\Delta x}{ _\Delta t'}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial t'}=\frac{v_t}{c*\sqrt{1-\frac{v_t^2}{c^2}}}##
and
##cos(\alpha_{t-x'})=\frac{ _\Delta x'}{ _\Delta t}=\frac{\partial x'}{\partial t}=-\frac{v_t}{c*\sqrt{1-\frac{v_t^2}{c^2}}}## .
##\alpha_{t-x}=\frac{2\pi}{4}## !
##\alpha_{t-t'}+\alpha_{t'-x}=\alpha_{t-x}##
##\alpha_{x-x'}+\alpha_{t-x'}=\alpha_{t-x}##
,but the result I get by finding ##\alpha_{t-t'}## and ##\alpha_{x-x'}## is still not ##arctan(\frac{v}{c})##, but
##\alpha_{t-t'}=\frac{2\pi}{4}-\alpha_{t'-x}=\frac{2\pi}{4}-arccos(\frac{v_t}{c*\sqrt{1-\frac{v_t^2}{c^2}}})##
##\alpha_{x-x'}=\frac{2\pi}{4}-\alpha_{t-x'}=\frac{2\pi}{4}-arccos(-\frac{v_t}{c*\sqrt{1-\frac{v_t^2}{c^2}}})##

Last edited:
olgerm said:
but still ##α_{t−t′}=2π4−αt′−x=2π4−arccos(vtc∗√1−v2tc2)αt−t′=2π4−αt′−x=2π4−arccos(vtc∗1−vt2c2)\alpha_{t-t'}=\frac{2\pi}{4}-\alpha_{t'-x}=\frac{2\pi}{4}-arccos(\frac{v_t}{c*\sqrt{1-\frac{v_t^2}{c^2}}})## not ##αt−t′=atan(vc)##
How exactly are you defining the term ##\alpha_{t-t’}##? I think you may be inventing notation that is causing you to confuse yourself. In the Wikipedia article, ##\alpha## is simply the trigonometric angle between the corresponding basis vectors of two frames moving with speed ##v## relative to each other.
Also, there is no need to bring in the Lorentz transformation to understand why ##\alpha = \arctan{v}##. Please describe what issues you are having in understanding what I’ve said in post #3 and #13.

Last edited:
Pencilvester said:
How exactly are you defining the term ##\alpha_{t-t’}##?
##\alpha_{t-t’}## is angle between t'-axis and t-axis.

olgerm said:
##\alpha_{t-t’}## is angle between t'-axis and t-axis.
Okay, for the third time, you are making this way more complicated than it really is. Look at post #3. Look at the picture in post #13 if you need to. Tell me what exactly you’re having trouble understanding. Or explain to me why you think it’s necessary to use components of the Lorentz transformation to find the relation between ##\alpha## and ##v##. Or re-read what @vanhees71 said in post #14, and stop worrying about trigonometric angles on a Minkowski diagram, since they have little to no use in learning SR.

Pencilvester said:
Look at post #3. Look at the picture in post #13 if you need to.
different ways of calculating should give the same result. If euclidean geometry does not work in minkowsky spacetime, like vanhees71 said, then why should your tangent work?
Maybe my assumation, that ##\alpha_{t-x}=\frac{2\pi}{4}## was wrong, but if it was wrong: what ##\alpha_{t-x}## is?

olgerm said:
different ways of calculating should give the same result.
Yes, but your way of calculating the angle is extremely convoluted and is using the Lorentz transformation for some reason, so it’s no surprise to me that you’re not getting the correct answer. So again, why are you using the Lorentz transformation in your derivation?
If euclidean geometry does not work in minkowsky spacetime, like vanhees71 said, then why should your tangent work?
Euclidean geometry is not useful on a Minkowsi diagram. But ultimately, the diagram is drawn on a piece of paper, and paper lends itself particularly well to Euclidean geometry since it’s a good approximation to a two dimensional Euclidean space. This fact is incidental and does not mean that Minkowsi diagrams should be interpreted using Euclidean geometry.
olgerm said:
what αt−xαt−x\alpha_{t-x} is?
This appears to be your notation for the angle between the ##t## and ##x## axes, which, in the context of your original question and the Wikipedia article, is ##\pi / 2##. If you really want to derive ##\alpha## using its complementary angle, then you could start with ##\arctan{(1/v)} = \pi/2 - \alpha##.

pervect said:

Not really, since, as you realized in response to @Michael Price, the rapidity is the inverse hyperbolic tangent of the relative velocity ##v##. Whereas the angle the OP is looking at is the regular inverse tangent of the relative velocity ##v##.

Which means, of course, that the angle the OP is looking at, the one described in the Wikipedia article, is actually not used at all in relativity. Which makes this another example of Wikipedia not being a good source to learn from.

Pencilvester said:
This appears to be your notation for the angle between the ##t## and ##x## axes,
Correct.

Pencilvester said:
in the context of your original question and the Wikipedia article, is ##\pi / 2##
Are you sure?

PeterDonis said:
Which means, of course, that the angle the OP is looking at, the one described in the Wikipedia article, is actually not used at all in relativity. Which makes this another example of Wikipedia not being a good source to learn from.
I think it is important to think of things in different terms and solve such seeming paradoxes to study any subject. So it is very useful to see things that are "not actually used".

olgerm said:
I think it is important to think of things in different terms and solve such seeming paradoxes to study any subject

But there is no "seeming paradox" and the angle in question has nothing whatever to do with the subject, namely special relativity. All of your "derivation" is looking at the wrong things: @Pencilvester has already explained where the ##\text{atan} (v / c)## comes from, and, as has been noted, it has nothing to do with relativity physics, it's just an observation about how the diagram is drawn on a Euclidean plane.

Likes Pencilvester
PeterDonis said:
there is no "seeming paradox"
The seeming paradox to me is that my derivation gave different result to ##\alpha##, than wikipedia page.
Where exactly is mistake in my derivation in post#15?

olgerm said:

The angle you are referring to has nothing to do with ##dx' / dt## or ##dx / dt'##. It's just ##\text{atan} (dx / dt)## in the "stationary" frame for an object that is at rest in the "moving" frame. Just as @Pencilvester has been telling you.

Likes Pencilvester
olgerm said:
##cos(\alpha_{t'-x})=\frac{ _\Delta x}{ _\Delta t'}=...##
and
##cos(\alpha_{t-x'})=\frac{ _\Delta x'}{ _\Delta t}=...##
Both of these expressions are wrong (or at least they have nothing to do with the angle you're looking for). The value of a trig function can be expressed as a ratio of lengths only if the lengths are both taken in the same frame. This should be more clear if you consider that lengths from different frames cannot both be drawn to the same scale on the Euclidean surface of the sheet of paper.

Likes olgerm
What is the correct value of these angles (##\alpha_{t'-x}## , ##\alpha_{t-x'}##) and ##\alpha_{t-x}##?
As I understood ##\alpha_{t'-t}=\alpha_{x-x'}=arctan(\frac{v}{c})##

olgerm said:
What is the correct value of these angles (##\alpha_{t'-x}## , ##\alpha_{t-x'}##) and ##\alpha_{t-x}##?
Since these are cartesian coordinates, the angle between the x and t axes is ##\pi /2## by definition. That means ##\alpha_{t'-x}## and ##\alpha_{t-x'}## are just the complementary angles to ##\alpha_{t'-t}## and ##\alpha_{x-x'}##: (##\pi/2-\alpha_{t'-t}##). If you want that in terms of ##v##, that’s the same as ##\arctan(1/v)##.

But again, I feel I must reiterate—these are simple trig problems in 2D Euclidean space that don’t have anything to do with learning SR.

olgerm said:

If by this you mean the Euclidean angles between the ##t'## and ##t## axes, and between the ##x'## and ##x## axes, on a spacetime diagram where both sets of axes are drawn with the same origin, then yes, this is true. But, as has already been commented, this angle is not useful for actually learning SR or solving SR problems.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
If by this you mean the Euclidean angles between the ##t'## and ##t## axes, and between the ##x'## and ##x## axes, on a spacetime diagram where both sets of axes are drawn with the same origin, then yes, this is true. But, as has already been commented, this angle is not useful for actually learning SR or solving SR problems.
I mean the actual angle between coordinate lines.

olgerm said:
They are the same thing.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
It's even worse: It's misleading for students of SR. To the contrary, one should stress from the very beginning that Minkowski diagrams should not be read as if it were a Euclidean plane! The fundamental form is not th Euclidean one but the Minkowskian. The crucial point is the different signature of these fundamental forms of the "Minkowskian" rather than the "Euclidean" affine plane.

Likes Pencilvester
olgerm said:
The coordinate lines are parallel to the axes, so it’s the same angle...
EDIT: Oops, just saw @Michael Price got there first. Over 4 hours ago.

I know that axes and coordinatelines are same thing, but I meant, that I want the angles between, coordinatelines not between representation of coordinatelines on euclidean sheet.

<h2>1. What is the significance of the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## in science?</h2><p>The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is commonly used in science to calculate the angle of deflection of a particle or object traveling at a high speed. It is also used in special relativity to determine the observed angle of an object's motion from a different frame of reference.</p><h2>2. How is the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## derived?</h2><p>The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe how measurements of space and time differ between two frames of reference moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. By solving for the angle of deflection in these equations, we arrive at the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)##.</p><h2>3. Can the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## be applied to objects moving at any speed?</h2><p>No, the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is only applicable to objects moving at relativistic speeds, meaning speeds close to the speed of light. At lower speeds, the angle of deflection can be calculated using the simpler equation ##\alpha=v/c##.</p><h2>4. How does the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?</h2><p>The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is a fundamental component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It helps to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds and is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in different frames of reference.</p><h2>5. What are some practical applications of the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)##?</h2><p>The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the trajectories of particles in particle accelerators, the bending of light in gravitational lensing, and the design of spacecraft trajectories. It also has implications for technologies such as GPS systems and satellite communication.</p>

1. What is the significance of the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## in science?

The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is commonly used in science to calculate the angle of deflection of a particle or object traveling at a high speed. It is also used in special relativity to determine the observed angle of an object's motion from a different frame of reference.

2. How is the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## derived?

The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is derived from the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe how measurements of space and time differ between two frames of reference moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. By solving for the angle of deflection in these equations, we arrive at the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)##.

3. Can the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## be applied to objects moving at any speed?

No, the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is only applicable to objects moving at relativistic speeds, meaning speeds close to the speed of light. At lower speeds, the angle of deflection can be calculated using the simpler equation ##\alpha=v/c##.

4. How does the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## is a fundamental component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It helps to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds and is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in different frames of reference.

5. What are some practical applications of the equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)##?

The equation ##\alpha=atan(v/c)## has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the trajectories of particles in particle accelerators, the bending of light in gravitational lensing, and the design of spacecraft trajectories. It also has implications for technologies such as GPS systems and satellite communication.