Unexplained Magnetism: My Strange Experience with Store Alarms

• Thread starter DMC CB OD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary: If you've been setting off the alarms for a while it's possible your metal has caused the sensors to trigger more often.
DMC CB OD
When ever I go into Barns & Nobles, Ulta Salons or any Walgreens, I set off their detectors. On the way in and the way out.

I have experimented with have absolutely no metal on me and just wearing sweats and sandals - no metal. I don't have any glasses, no watch, no keys, no wallet, no pacemaker, no static in my hair, only a few very old fillings in my teeth, no pins in bones, nothing that I can think of.

Even with my keys and phone and regular jeans and tennis shoes I never set off any other stores' alarms - just these three, everytime, no matter what I'm carrying or not carrying.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you're just real suspicious-looking and store security triggers the alarms when they see you in the security cameras to subject you to a bit of extra "attention". Do you wear really baggy clothing or carry large bags with you? If so, you will attract attention as a risk of theft. Just because an alarm at a store goes off, it does not mean that you have triggered a sensor. There is a lot of human intervention behind the scenes in chain stores.

Do you have caps? Dental work?

No - I look normal and it happens no matter what I wear and I'm never carrying anything. It's not a human triggered alarm - It's the same beeper that goes off when people try to steal stuff as they leave the store. Those devices that you walk through detect whether the sale tag has been demagnetized or not. They sense magnetism and they are automatic.

One root canal but no caps.

If you are truly magnetic, or even just have certain metal implants, you are in for a rude shock if you ever go near an MRI machine. Watch out!

Hmmm, IIRC some of these detectors work on detecting a load on their oscillator tank circuit.
In some cases dental fillings (particularly old fillings) have been known to pick up radio stations.
In your case one of your fillings might be the culprit.

This may be a long shot, but is it possible that you got one of those little sticky magnetic tags stuck to something you're carrying, like a backpack or your shoes? How long ago did you first start setting off the alarms?

dwahler said:
This may be a long shot, but is it possible that you got one of those little sticky magnetic tags stuck to something you're carrying, like a backpack or your shoes? How long ago did you first start setting off the alarms?

You may have it. Some products actually have those hidden internally (maybe in a seam) and the store clerks don't know exactly where so they can't demag them fully.

1. Why do some objects stick to magnets?

Objects stick to magnets because they are made up of tiny magnetic domains, which are areas with aligned magnetic fields. When a magnet is brought near an object, the magnetic domains within the object align with the external magnetic field, causing the object to be attracted to the magnet.

2. Why am I not magnetic?

Humans and most other living organisms are not magnetic because they do not have magnetic domains like inanimate objects do. Our bodies are made up of mostly water and other non-magnetic materials, so there is nothing for a magnetic field to interact with.

3. What makes a material magnetic?

Materials are magnetic because their atoms have aligned magnetic fields. In ferromagnetic materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, the atoms have a strong magnetic field that is naturally aligned. In other materials, such as paramagnetic and diamagnetic materials, the atoms have weaker magnetic fields that can be induced to align with an external magnetic field.

4. Can I become magnetic?

No, humans and most other living things cannot become magnetic. Our bodies do not have the necessary components, such as magnetic domains or aligned magnetic fields, to generate or sustain a magnetic field.

5. Why is Earth magnetic?

Earth is magnetic because of its molten iron core. The movement of the liquid iron generates a magnetic field, similar to how a magnet works. This magnetic field is what causes a compass to point north and protects us from harmful solar radiation.