Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why am I so dumb?

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    If someone wrote down a statement saying "I'm using the principal of occam's razor, I am a genious in any given debate", would you laugh? Apparently this is suppose to be a really funny joke according to my friends but I just don't get it and they won't explain it to me either. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2
    I guess I am dumb too. I don't see the funny. Does that make you feel better?

4. May 12, 2010 #3
    Maybe it has something to do with genius being spelled wrong.

5. May 12, 2010 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or "principle."

6. May 12, 2010 #5
    I noticed that too but apparently there's something else funny about it.

7. May 12, 2010 #6
    The simplest solution for me is that I am always right, I think that it has something to do with that.

8. May 12, 2010 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your friends might be thinking that the expression "I am a genius in any given debate" is awkwardly phrased. To me it doesn't sound especially funny.

9. May 12, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You either need:

• better friends, or
    • to drink more when your current friends tell jokes.

10. May 12, 2010 #9
    I think that's what he meant:

chickenrazor.jpg

11. May 12, 2010 #10
    Yes, possibly both.

This very well could be what she meant. I think the joke is a lot funnier with the picture. I'll have to ask her to see if thats what she meant.

12. May 12, 2010 #11
    Still not funny. I think they're just trying to sound smart by acting perplexed at the idea that someone doesn't understand it.
    Sometimes when people hear a joke like that, they'll act like it's way funnier than it really is, to make sure everyone knows that they understood the joke, and then act like it's hard to believe anyone else couldn't get it, to make it look like for them to understand it was an easy task.

13. May 12, 2010 #12
    Mmmm......I get it, but that's not very funny.

14. May 12, 2010 #13
    If I were guessing at the line with two obvious typos, I'd think they were suggesting that they're suggesting that they're deploying the simplest and therefore most obvious idea and that's that they're a genius at debate. Therefore, I dunno, any resistance or argument with them is futile? Why bother arguing with them when it's point-blank they're always right? Something like that?

15. May 12, 2010 #14
    eh, because by using occam's razor, one would naturally conclude that one is NOT a genius in any given debate ?

16. May 12, 2010 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah I guess, but...humor fail.

17. May 12, 2010 #16
    Being totally serious here: stop hanging out with other nerds. I can't stand to be around people like me. They make jokes like this and then I have to go drink until I don't remember it.

18. May 12, 2010 #17
    My friends and I are somewhat like this. We tell stupid jokes that most people are not likely to get. It then becomes even more funny because you just told a stupid joke and thought it was hilarious. Then your friend sees you laughing uncontrollably over a stupid joke and starts laughing at you for thinking it is so funny. Enter third person who has no idea what you two think is so funny which snow balls the hilarity and at which point you might tease more out of it by messing with the third person.

Personally I enjoy taking someone seriously when they tell a stupid joke. Its fun to watch them try to explain it and get frustrated.

19. May 16, 2010 #18
    im not the brightest guy but i think its cause they spelled genius incorrectly. did they actually write the joke out to you? or is that how you personally spell genius? that's my take!

but what do i i know i have the spatial skills of a moron so idk =p.

20. May 16, 2010 #19
    i dont understand it? whos occam anyways?

21. May 16, 2010 #20

diazona

Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook