Why Are AMD and NVDA chip stocks so popular and rising the past few years?

In summary, the conversation discusses the recent rise in stock prices for AMD and NVDA, two tech companies in the chip and graphics processing industry. The reasons for their stock growth are attributed to their successful products, such as GPUs used for gaming and artificial intelligence, and speculation in the market. It is noted that stock prices are based on faith and speculation, but also influenced by a company's earnings and performance. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding a company's business and products when investing.
kyphysics
I'm a not techie - liberal arts and social sciences grad.

For those knowledgeable about this space, can you explain what AMD and NVDA have going for them that is so great that their stocks have risen by 20-30 times in the past few years?

I know that AMD is basically a chip company. They make computer chips that go into your computers. Do they do anything else? What makes their chips so great? I know NVDA is a chip and graphics processor company. They primarily make GPUs (I barely know what these are - feel free to explain anything unique about their GPUs) and these are used in video gaming and artificial intelligence (how?).

Lastly, does anyone know who makes the computer chips for IoT devices? Do AMD or NVDA have products in that space? Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Just FYI, your figures are off quite a bit. Those stocks HAVE risen massively, but more like by 15 and 10 each, not 20 to 30 each in the last 3 or 4 years or

Likes russ_watters
Stock prices are mostly about faith and speculation than about any kind of reality. AMD had some bad years way back so the price went down: recently they could pull a miracle and create some CPUs faster and cheaper than their counterparts on Intel side, so they started to gather faith and create speculation that they worth more. So their stock prices went up. Don't think too much into it.

NVIDIA shot at lot on the back of the bitcoin surge and dropped off some when it dropped off. They make (or at least did make) the most popular chips for mining bitcoins. Even though those chips were only 10% of their business, their existence created a massive perception bump for NVIDIA

Likes russ_watters
The OP question should have been, why are their products so popular, not their stocks.

First, you should learn where to look for this information. All publicly traded companies have to file an annual report to the SEC, called a 10-K. It describes what their markets are (for example, NVidia has a substantial presence in automotive) and provides at least some historical data: for example, between 2015 and now, NVidia's stock price has gone up by a factor of 8, but revenue has gone up by a factor of 6.5 - earnings per share a factor of 6. So most of the rise is understandable in that NVidia is making more money for its shareholders, so it is of course worth more. The difference between 8 and 6 is that collectively the market expects that earnings will continue to rise.

Second, you need to better understand what these companies do. You say "I know that AMD is basically a chip company. They make computer chips that go into your computers." In fact, that is not true. They haven't made a single chip since 2009. When investing, it's critical to understand what a company actually does - and in this case, a simple Wikipedia article would have helped a lot. And, as Russ said in a now-closed thread, "And if you don't know what you don't know, that's a big problem."

phinds said:
Just FYI, your figures are off quite a bit. Those stocks HAVE risen massively, but more like by 15 and 10 each, not 20 to 30 each in the last 3 or 4 years or
I'm pretty sure I still own some AMD from '99 when I bought at 17 sold a portion at 85...then it craterd with the dot-com crash and hasn't been anywhere near that since.

Full disclosure: I also bought some 3DFX at around the same time.

Likes jedishrfu
russ_watters said:
I'm pretty sure I still own some AMD from '99 when I bought at 17 sold a portion at 85...then it craterd with the dot-com crash and hasn't been anywhere near that since.

Full disclosure: I also bought some 3DFX at around the same time.

You could be a penny millionaire and not know it.

Rive said:
Stock prices are mostly about faith and speculation than about any kind of reality.

I disagree. Sure, there are some stocks that attract people with a gambling mindset over an investing one, but the bulk of the market is priced in an understandable way. Johnson & Johnson, to pick a member of the Dow, has a P/E of 22. Coca-Cola (another member) is 32. Intel is 11. Pfizer is 17. Apple is 18. Home Depot is 21.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
The OP question should have been, why are their products so popular, not their stocks.
Probably curious about both actually!

Vanadium 50 said:
I disagree. Sure, there are some stocks that attract people with a gambling mindset over an investing one...
Well, it's the method/mindset itself in addition to the individual stock, and the characterization of gambling vs investing is a reference to that choice. If you want to invest in J&J, you buy and hold, and your odds of making money are very high. If you want to gamble, you can still do it on J&J stock, you just do it over the very short term, where the odds of it going up or down are almost exactly 50/50.

1. Why have AMD and NVDA chip stocks been rising in popularity in recent years?

One of the main reasons for the rise in popularity of AMD and NVDA chip stocks is their strong performance in the market. Both companies have seen significant growth in their revenues and profits, which has attracted investors and contributed to the rise in their stock prices.

2. What sets AMD and NVDA apart from other chip companies?

AMD and NVDA are known for their innovative and high-performance products, particularly in the gaming and data center markets. They have been able to consistently outperform their competitors and gain market share, making them attractive investments for many.

3. How have advancements in technology impacted the success of AMD and NVDA?

The rapid pace of technological advancements, such as the increasing demand for high-performance computing and the rise of artificial intelligence and virtual reality, has greatly benefited AMD and NVDA. These companies have been at the forefront of developing cutting-edge technologies, allowing them to stay ahead of the competition and drive their stock prices up.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with investing in AMD and NVDA?

As with any investment, there are always risks involved. Some potential risks for AMD and NVDA include intense competition from other chip companies, as well as potential supply chain disruptions and fluctuations in demand for their products. It's important for investors to carefully assess these risks before making any investment decisions.

5. What do experts predict for the future of AMD and NVDA chip stocks?

Many experts believe that the future looks bright for AMD and NVDA. With the increasing demand for high-performance computing and the continued growth of emerging technologies, these companies are well-positioned to continue their success and potentially see even more growth in the coming years.