Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are CFC-gases inert?

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    I've been thinking about this for some time now, and I can't find anything specific on it on the interwebs.

Clearly, these gases are very stable, or else they would react. But why stable? Can it really be so beneficial for, let's say, 1,2-dichloro-3,4-difluoromethane to have so kany electronegative atoms bonded to the carbon? The molecule would be very polar with a relatively big plsitive charge on the carbon atom. I would think that one of the halogens would make a good leaving group in substitution...

I'm lost, could someone please help me out? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2
    I think it has to be with very strong bonds between C and the halogens. The halogens are pulling very much on the electrons, which makes the molecule very polar, and the bonds very strong.

But if someone else could confirm, and go a little more in-depth, you'd probably be better off. What's the bond enthalpies for a "normal" CFC? For CFC-11, for example?

4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    They are characterized by strong carbon–fluorine bonds

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook